Fei, I Need to Tell You Something

The J Agents

That night, Jay could not sleep.  Rather nobody from the agency could have slept.  They were all too concerned for Jia.  Jay in particular was going insane.  He left the department after that little video chat and wen back home.  He felt lonely in the big empty house.  He wanted to be in Jia’s tight headlock, her comforting tea, her laughter filling the house, and above all, he just wanted to be with her.  He missed her.  They never had been separated like this, so Jay was so depressed.  Why his sister?  Why not him?  Jay hated everything that was happening.  Today was just not his day.  He went to the kitchen and sat on the floor like how Jia did when she first came to their house.

“Noona,” Jay whispered.  “Kwenchanah?  I hope so.  Please be strong.  I promise I will be strong to for whatever happens.  I failed to protect you.  You always protect me but I’m just useless to you.  Why do I keep letting that happen?  I’m a useless dongsaeng who can’t do anything for a fantastic noona like you.  Please don’t die on us.”  Jay hung his head and tears ran down his face.  He slept in that sitting position on the kitchen floor. 

Jay was woken by someone nudging him.  He immediately woke up thinking it was his sister but it was Junsu.  Jay’s face fell when he realized it wasn’t Jia.  “Miahn, Jay hyung,” Junsu said.  He knew why Jay was depressed seeing him.  “But we have to go to school.  You missed practice this morning.  We’re going to be late.”  Jay nodded and rushed to get ready.  He was mad at himself for not getting up for practice.  Without Jia, he really felt useless.  Junho and Junsu patiently waited for Jay.  “He’s really depressed,” mused Junsu, almost to himself.

“Yeah,”Junho agreed.  “I miss Jia noona.  Things are just so weird without her.  Hyung, what are we going to tell Fei noona?  She’ll wonder why Jay is so upset, why we’re going to be super protective of her, and of all why Jia noona isn’t here.  What are we going to do?”  Junho suddenly remembered Fei and how things are going to go for the next week.

“I’ll tell her everything.” Jay suddenly called as he smoothed his hair.  “Fei is my best friend, so I think it’s right for me to tell her.”  Junho and Junsu looked at Jay with a sullen look.  Jay had a grave look on his face. 

“Hyung,” Junho said as he got up.  “You’re going to tell her everything?!  What are you, insane?!?  That’s deliberately breaking rule number one!  You cannot tell anyone that you’re a J Agent to the outside world!  You would be excommunicated from us.  And what are you going to do when this week is over?”  Junsu stood up to speak but Jay cut them both off.

“Leave it to me,” Jay said, much like his sister.  “I’ll take care of it.  Just follow my lead.  I’m going to tell Fei everything, it’s for her sake.  And I’m going to get noona back.  I’m not letting anyone take my noona or my best friend.  It’s going to be dangerous I promise you, but you guys better not die on me either.  I’m not going to die on this mission either, I’ll tell you that.”  Junho and Junsu nodded and the three headed towards school in silence.  Jay’s heart sank every step he took.  He heard Fei’s voice call his name from behind him.

“Jay!” she sang out.  Jay turned around a managed a smile.  Fei flashed a wide smile back.  “Jay-ah!  Good morning, everyone.  Omo, but where’s Jia unnie?”  Jay stopped smiling and his face went pale.  Junho and Junsu walked a little further to leave Jay and Fei.  “Jay?  Did something happen to her?  Is she sick?”

“Fei,” Jay started and stopped.  He gulped hard and tried to continue.  “Fei…  Fei…  Noona is… Noona is currently captured under a society of assassins, so called agents.  She’s captured as a bait for y-us.”  Fei gave a puzzling look at Jay. 

“Haha, very funny, Mr. Park.  Now really, tell me where is she?” Fei said with a smirk.  “I’m not going to play around first thing in the morning, you know.”  She stopped smirking when she saw the seriousness of Jay’s face.  “Jinja?  You’re not playing?  Stop lying!”

“Ani, jinja.  Miahn, Fei-ah.” Jay cracked.  “Noona, Junho, Junsu, and I are all agents.  We had a mission to protect you.  And during that mission, Jia was captured and as ransom they want you.  I’m sorry for hiding these all from you.  It’s just that, as a kid rule number one for our organization is to hide that identity from others outside the organization or we’d be excommunicated.  We thought it would be fine and everything will be normal without you knowing, but Jia noona…” Jay stopped as tears rolled from his cheek and onto the concrete floor.  Fei had a horrified look on her face ontop of a facial expression of disbelief. 

“So, you’ve been living a double life?” Fei said, almost coldly.  “You’re living a double life just to be an agent?  I feel that all these years I’ve been lied to.  Even if you couldn’t tell anyone, you could have told me.  I would have kept it secret.  I can protect myself!”  Jay looked at Fei.  “Why am I targeted?!”

“Fei, please don’t be irrational.  It’s our job whether we’re killed, captured, tortured, or succeed our mission.  Jia noona would give her life up for you.” Jay said.  Fei pushed him away and started walking towards the school.  “Fei!  Wait!”

“Fei noona!” Junho said stopped Fei from advancing further.  “Please listen to hyung.  Ne?  Jia noona is captive right now but—“

“Get out of my way, Junho!” Fei said with fire in her eyes.  Junse stepped infront this time.  “You too, Junsu-ah.”

“Fei noona,” Junsu said with a calm face.  “We want you protected so please stay calm.  We’re going to get Jia noona back, too.  Please listen and stop raging.”  Fei still had fire in her eyes but she stopped for a second.  For a moment, it looked like she was going to listen.  But then she turned and ran towards the school.

“You guys are hiding things from me.  I can’t trust people who hide things from me.” Fei said as she ran.  Jay called her name but she ignored it.  She stopped when she heard something else from Jay.

“They want you because they want revenge!  Your grandparents have done something to their Director and now the ex-Director’s agents want revenge by ridding you, Fei.” Jay called out.  Fei stopped running.  “That’s why we’re trying to protect you.  Our Director picked up this and told us to protect you because you’re our dear friend.  We don’t a friend to die as we fail this mission.  I would hate myself for eternity and never forgive myself.”  Jay looked up and saw that Fei stopped walking and now was facing him.  “Fei, I’ll answer any questions or do any request you want me to do.”

“Get Jia unnie back.” Fei said.  “That’s all I want.”  Jay looked at her and smiled a little.  “And be safe.  Promise me, Jay.  You too, Junsu and Junho.  Promise me you’ll be back safe.  I’ll help out as much as I can, too.”  Fei smiled but frowned.  “Then why are you guys going to school?  Shouldn’t you be trying to find your sister?”

“We were told that even though we are agents,” Junsu started.  “We’re still students.  We needs to keep our academics up.”  Junho nodded and Jay was silent.

“You should be finding a way to get Jia.” Fei said blankly.  “I’ll go with you!  Jia unnie is doing this for me.  I feel indebted to her so I want to do something.  Take me with you guys.”  Jay opened his mouth to protest but Fei shot him a fierce glare.  “I want in.”  Jay retreated, Junho shifted his feet, and Junsu said nothing.  “It’s settled.  Although I cannot be an agent, I want knowledge of something so I can help you!”

“WHAT THE HELL?  WHAT IN LOVING SHISUS IS GOING ON?!?!  WHY ARE YOU THREE NOT IN SCHOOL AND WHY IS MISS WANG FEI HERE IN THE J AGENCY’S DEPARTMENT!??!?!?!” screamed the director as the three agents entered with Fei.  “SHE’S NOT AN AGENT!  WE’VE BEEN INFILTRATED BEFORE, DON’T YOU KNOW!  YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO BE EXCOMMUNICATED!!!!”

“Chill, man,” Jay said.  “She would have found out anyway.  I couldn’t stop her.  She wanted to pay back Jia noona.”

“YOU TOLD HER EVERYTHING?!?!” Director Park raged.  Junho nodded and Jay said nothing.  Fei had wide eyes as she saw the director flail his arms around.

“Yes,” Junsu was the only who said anything.  “Yes, we did.  We couldn’t do anything about it.  Director-nim, trust us.  We know what we’re doing.  Well, at least Jay knows.”  Director shot Jay a glance who just threw himself on the couch.  “We’re sorry that we have disobeyed rule number one, but it had to be done.  We are terribly sorry that you have to excommunicate us.”

“Please don’t excommunicate them!” Fei suddenly yelled.  Everyone gave the girl a look as if she was crazy.  “I won’t tell ANYONE about it.  If I marry, I won’t tell even my husband, I swear!  I promise.  Just don’t excommunicate them.  They’re just too good and amazing.  They’re risking their lives for me and I feel useless.  Now that Jia unnie is captured, what am I supposed to do?  Just wait and hope for them to return safely?  What if that doesn’t happen?  I feel like the worst person ever!  Please let me in, I’ll help as much as I can!”

“Arrasso,” Director breathed.  “You cannot tell ANYONE.  If you do, this entire department will go into flames, and we’ll all have to leave.”  He pulled out several files and handed them to Fei.  “If you want to help, miss, read over these as we explain more in depth.”  Fei took the files and skimmed through them.  “Your grandparents are responsible for the death of their previous director.  Now the remaining members are going to take revenge by taking you.  Do you understand?  Yes?  Good.  Until we are fully sure what to do, you are going to stay here.  Going to school is dangerous as well.  The new teacher is part of it at the moment and responsible to the kidnap.  Junhyung and Jiyun were also part of that group and only pretended to be one of us to infiltrate, learn techniques, and get somewhat close to you.  I’m sorry that this is happening all at once, but the situation is in hot water.  We only have six more days to discuss our plan when we meet with Cube.”

“It’s alright,” Fei said with a weak smile.  Her head was spinning from all the information that was being said.  She tried absorbing everything that was going on and what the strange director was trying to explain.  “So let me see if I have this right, in chronic logic order.  My grandparents killed and was killed during some weird mission.  My parents fled to Korea with me as a child after their death so I’m guessing because they’re trying to hide.  So now that I’m found in Seoul, those people are after me.  You assigned those closest to me to protect me from them.  Suddenly Junhyung and Jiyunnie appear calling themselves agents.  To get your attention, they are using unnie as bait for you to hand me in, like a trade for me and your agent.  Mr. Choi is affiliated with them and him being close with Junhyung and Jiyun decided to take action and take Jia unnie.  So now you guys are put in a position to whether protect me, the person in trouble, or Jia unnie who is a fellow agent and a dear friend.”  Director nodded in amazement as he heard that Fei understood everything.  “This is all so crazy,” she murmured.  “And I thought these kind of things only happens in movies!”

“Miahn, Fei-ah,” Jay said.  “But it’s the truth.  The world is pretty crazy and hectic.”  Fei nodded and continued skimming through the files. 

“These people are hella scary.” she muttered as she held up the two pictures the agents has seen before.  “They kill in a beastly manner and in 4 minutes?  What the hell.  That’s disgusting!” she cried as she threw the photos back in the file and drop it.  “That’s the kind of people you guys face?”

“Not normally,” Junho said.  “We’ve never encountered these types of murderous people before.  It’s just so scary that we have people like these in society.”  Then he shivered.  “And to think that we even somewhat friended those people.”  Everyone was silent.  Junho was referring to Junhyung and Jiyun who had seemed to take interest as J Agents but only to serve Cube.  “Jay hyung,”  Jay looked up.  “What are we going to do?  We only have six days.  What can we do in so many days?  It seems far but it’s so close.  You can almost feel it.”

“At the moment,” Jay started to say.  “I’m not sure.  But don’t worry.  I’ll think of something.  I’m not letting anyone take my noona or my teammates or my best friend.”  Director Park smiled at the encouraging words that was coming from Jay’s mouth.

When the day was drawing to a close, Director dismissed the four and made excuses for all of them.  Director Park looked down at the files and gathered them to read through once more.  “There are truly scary for these children.  This is completely new for them.  What can they construct?  Oh, Jia.  I wonder how you are.  Wonder if you’re proud of the determination your brother has developed.  I remember when Jay just came in and was a complete goof ball.  ‘One day, I wanna deal with guns like you, appa!’ he would say.  Haha, whoo what enthusiasm.  But he was always the one who goofed too much which always worried me.  You were so strong and determined to do things right.  ‘Jay, shut up.  You ain’t gunna touch no gun if you keep foolin’ like the dork you are.  You’re not gunna graduate if you keep this up.’  I can hear your young self again.  Such a sport, you were.  You took leadership very well.  You knew how to involve everyone and not make them feel lower than other sunbaes.  You knew the right words to say, the right things to do, and the right attitude to pull in situations.  You were always supporting Junsu when his father passed away, helped Junho when he struggled, and always remained strong when your parents passed but still stuck with your brother till the end.  How are you, right now?  I pray that nothing bad happens to you.”

In Jia’s cell, she sat on the floor curled up.  “Jay,” she muttered.  “Jay, please don’t make any stupid mistakes.  Don’t live with regrets, arrasso?  5 more days…  Make the right decisions.  I won’t judge you for what you do.”