Spool of thread

The Red String of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Alright, now just look at my hand, and pretend there is a string attached to it," Soo-jin's mom said to her daughter, both of them seated at their kitchen table.

Soo-jin opened her shut eyes, looking at the hand resting on the table as a red thread materialised out of thin air, wrapped around her mom's pinky as it led out of the kitchen door and up the stairs. She was still trying to get the hang of her new ability to prevent them from clouding her vision like the last day of school.

She looked at her mom, waving her index finger, signing out "Where?"

"It connects your father and me, and it's a little difficult to explain, especially when you're so young. The red strings you see are strings that connect soulmates, meaning those two people, or multiple people in extremely rare cases, are perfect for each other," her mother explained as she held Soo-jin's hand, a gentle smile on her lips as her eyes traced out her daughter's red string.

"No one knows why, but we do know that you gain the ability to do so when you get close to your soulmate. It usually takes a few days or weeks for someone to accidentally use it, but since you're so in touch with your emotions, you used it instantly after meeting your new friend, which is very lucky for you. For some people, their strings can stretch really far, and they may suddenly get the ability after meeting a group of people, so it's a little difficult to narrow it down. Your father and I were lucky to bump into each other on the street, and he asked me out quite quickly. After spending some time together, the red strings started popping up everywhere and we were sure it was a sign that we were meant for each other," she explained, her daughter listening intently to every word.

"There's not much to explain, because we didn't expect that you would find your soulmate so quickly. You usually find them when you're in your mid-twenties or early thirties, and at that point you just sort of 'feel' the explanation. The only thing is that you must never tell soulmates that they are soulmates until they discover their ability, and that includes your new friend. If she doesn't ask about the red strings, you have to pretend that you don't know you two are soulmates, otherwise, your threads might unravel and your soulmates might change. It's a complicated thing that children aren't supposed to experience, but you'll get a better understanding when you're older, alright?" Soo-jin's mom said, gently squeezing her cheeks.

She nodded vigorously as she blinked, the red threads vanishing from her vision. It was a little tough to consciously control, but she was slowly getting the hang of her new ability. She didn't know exactly what 'soulmates' meant, but if her mom and dad are soulmates, and they were important to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter