Spinning thread

The Red String of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We've all seen cotton candy being made, how the sugary threads dance within the confines of the machine, seemingly invisible until it coils onto itself. That's similar to how the red threads are made, they're not instantly created at birth, sometimes it takes a minute, sometimes it takes a year, but no one has observed them appearing, they seemingly just pop into existence. However, as the narrator, I see all of it, how every person has multiple fine red threads spun around themselves, intangible to everyone. Once their soulmate has been chosen, their fine threads lock with each other, coiling around each other to form a red string that links both soulmates.

Your string isn't something connecting you to your soulmate or your soulmate to you, it's a string that connects both of you as a pair.

Just like strings, they can unravel when it is no longer possible to be with each other, turning back into fine red threads, waiting for their next soulmate to spin string with.

It sounds odd, how can you have multiple soulmates? The answer is that you can have multiple soulmates at once, albeit rarely, and you can unravel with someone and link with someone else, because most of the time, losing your first soulmate is devastating enough to warp your soul, configuring it for someone else.

 

"Hello! My name is Yeh Shu-hua, it's nice to meet you!" Shu-hua greeted the class loudly, excitedly getting on her tiptoes.

"Shu-hua will be joining us for class now, be nice to her, okay?" The teacher addressed the class of kids, a collective "Yes, Ms Kim" from the class replying to her.

"Shu-hua, could you take a seat there?" Her teacher said, gently pointing her attention to an empty seat at the back corner.

Shu-hua nodded, getting back on her flat feet as she walked over to her assigned seat, taking her bag off her back.

It was new to her, but Shu-hua wasn't exactly conflicted about the move. She didn't have friends or impactful memories from her old neighbourhood, and it was pretty exciting to be in a new place. Her new classmates seemed friendly, and her teacher is nice, she's looking forward to her new school life.

 

As the new student, Shu-hua became the centre of attention of her new classmates, and her natural charisma only made her shine. She was talented in most subjects, not outstanding, but a decent jack-of-all-trades. Her ability to converse with people and make them feel at ease meant that her classmates would often chat with her about anything under the sun, like what her favourite song was, or what her old neighbourhood was like.

Over the next few weeks, her social status had improved a lot. She did well in her subjects, and most of her classmates were friends with her, so she occasionally tried to help them, which only made her more approachable and further boost her social status. She enjoyed the attention, not in a snarky, snobbish way, but just the fact that she was comfortable enough for people to approach felt nice. Except for one.

 

She's been sitting right next to her, yet she has no clue what her name is. This nameless girl often shows up earlier than most, quietly reading a book or doodling in her notebook, and she's always top of the class in every assignment and test they've been given. Shu-hua has tried to talk with her, saying "good morning" and "have a nice day" nearly every morning when class starts and every evening when class ends, yet the nameless girl simply looks at her, scans her up and down before looking away.

At first, she thought that maybe this nameless girl was shy, but as time went on, she became convinced that she hated her. As the months stretched on, Shu-hua kept on greeting her every single day, hoping she would get a response from her one day, but it seemed hopeless.

So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter