Hanging on by a thread

The Red String of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been two weeks ever since that incident, Shu-hua having no idea what washed over her that night, making her so bold to do the things she did. She remembered every second leading up to it, how she felt so confused and annoyed at the way Soo-jin made her feel, how afraid and excited she was, but no matter how she pieced her thoughts together, nothing logical came from it.

She barely remembers the process, her mind having gone numb along with her arms and legs, but the next morning she found herself alone in her bed, the faint scent of bringing back memories to her which burned her cheeks with shame, not to mention the fact that she had to sneak her stained sheets out without her parents noticing.

She was embarrassed, to say the least, not knowing why she did the things she did. She wanted to explain to Soo-jin, but lacked the words or coherent thoughts to string together an explanation, plus the idea of looking at Soo-jin after her face was burned in her euphoric memories only made her feel ever more embarrassed, a little thankful that she snuck out while she was asleep.

The two weeks following were just filled with Shu-hua desperately clamouring for an explanation, as feeble as it was, but it was no use; her words failed her, and she tried her best to avoid Soo-jin, taking different routes than she normally would, spending little time walking from class to class, even walking the long way to sneak in through the back door of her house, in case Soo-jin was waiting for her there.

 

Shu-hua quietly focused on her class, something she hasn't done in a long time, filling up her pages with notes on the lesson and any assigned questions she had to fill up. Her mind was still flooded with Soo-jin, but she managed to put those thoughts aside for a little bit.

"And so, this thought experiment proves that in a universe of entangled particles, you are unable to witness a future where you…"

Her professor's voice droned on, explaining stuff that wasn't necessary in their syllabus, taking time to start sorting out her thoughts.

"Okay, step by step. We had a wild night and I started it. She didn't refuse, so that's nice. Why did I start it? I was frustrated and annoyed by how she makes me feel lately.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter