Childhood

Jongho and The Seven Elves

The sun is shining brightly on the morning sky.

Two boys are sitting on the stairs outside the Niveus castle eating apples.

"That apple looks like you, Jongho." the boy with the blonde hair says.

"No, it doesn't." Jongho responds irritated, making the other boy giggle.

"Yes, it does." he says. "Your hair looks like the peel."

"Stop it, Hyunjin." the red haired boy says.

"Okay then, I'll stop." Hyunjin responds and takes a bite of the apple.

Suddenly they hear a female voice behind them. "Are these apples delicious?"

Jongho turns around and sees his mother standing there.

"Yes, they are very delicious, Your Majesty." Hyunjin mumbles.

"I'm glad to hear that."

"He keeps saying that I look like an apple." Jongho says.

"When you were born, I wanted to call you Apple Red, but your father disagreed." the queen says with a smile.

Hyunjin bursts into laughter.

"That's not funny." Jongho throws the apple at him, hitting him on his forehead.

"Ouch" Hyunjin says and gets tears in his eyes.

"Jongho." his mother says angry. "Apologize to Prince Hyunjin."

"Alright then." Jongho says. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." he answer. "I promise never to make these apple jokes again."

Then the queen walks back into the castle.

"And if you ever make that joke again, I'll punch you." he says and shows him his fist.

"Alright alright." he says. "But is that man with the hand mirror really your father?"

"No, he is my step-father." Jongho says. "My real father died when I was an infant."

 

Some few years later....

 

Jongho is outside the castle collecting some flowers to give to his sick mother who is lying in bed.

He knows that daises are his mother's favourites, so he picks some daisies too.

 

With a huge smile on his face, he walks inside the castle.

He is about to enter the queen's bedroom, until he sees his step-father walk out of the room.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but your mother is dead."

The sentence stabs Jongho in the heart like a sword.

The bouquet falls out of his hand.

"No." he says with tears in his eyes. "That can't be true."

"it is" the king says with a cold expression on his face.

His throat starts hurting so badly from sadness, making him unable to speak and making his tears fall out of his eyes.

He takes a seat on the floor and cries his eyes out.

"MOTHER!" he yells.