Polar Opposites (Birthday)

Polar Opposites
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Happy Birthday Irene!” I greeted as soon as I saw her that morning.

“Thanks Wendy” she smirked slightly before responding and settling herself on her seat.

“Are you gonna leave early today?” I asked curiously as I took a sip of my morning coffee.

I know how work had piled up and things had been demanding in the past few days but knowing Irene, she can handle all sorts of workload if she sets her mind into it. Leaving early on a birthday is of course not an exception.

“Nah, I’ll go home after finishing all my work,” she responded meekly.

I only nodded in reply before typing on my laptop.

‘Good morning all. Today is Irene’s birthday! How about we buy something for her? :)’

I created a group chat of our team which of course excluded Irene.

‘Sounds great! We’re in.’

I smiled softly as I mulled over the things that Irene loves.

 

It’s almost 7 pm and Irene had never left her spot after lunch break had ended.

It was almost easy to sneak out with Seulgi in tow to buy celebratory food in a nearby restaurant.

And to say that Irene is beyond shock is still an understatement.

“Wow. I can’t believe this. When did you guys all prepared this?”

She was baffled to see the mango flavored cake, carbonara, alcapone donut and some soda in the pantry.

I dragged her with me when everything was set and everyone sang a happy birthday when we both entered the area.

“Wendy planned and prepared everything,” Seulgi happily chimed.

I shot her a knowing look but of course my ever-smiling friend only giggled in teasing.

“Wow. These are all my favorite food. Thank you, Wendy,” she nudged an elbow at me before blowing the candle on her birthday cake.

We had a good time before all of us went back to our areas. Some went home and Irene and I was left to clean up the pantry.

 “Are you going home after this?” I asked as I threw the paper plates and used utensils in the trash bin.

“Not yet. I still need to finish some more work before I go home,” Irene replied.

“Are you gonna stay here until your birthday is over?” I joked and chuckled lightly.

Irene chuckled as well before replying, “Yeah, it’s a yearly tradition,” she turned at me as she finished cleaning up.

“But this year is extra special,” she added before leaving the pantry.

And leaving me stunned. As always.

 

Irene is true to her words. She really left the office at 1 am. I could have gone home and continue my work for tomorrow but of course I chose to stay, making up excuses that I won’t be able to sleep if I did not finish my job.

Irene only nodded and we both continued working in silence until she offered that both of us should g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter