Polar Opposites

Polar Opposites
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We were polar opposites.
The first time we met, we never talked to each other. She had her circle and I have my own. I was a new hire and she’s an outstanding employee acknowledged by everyone. They said she works well. She’s good at what she does but she’s scary and has a temper. In school, you might categorize her in the club. She drinks, party hard and has a lot of boys trailing her.
I kept my distance. We don’t have any circumstance that we need to be together after all.
But one day, we did.

We had a company rearrangement. I was placed under her care. I didn’t know what to think and to expect. All I know is that, it’s going to be hard. I was a social butterfly. However, I never risked visiting the garden she belongs to. I was afraid I’d get pricked by her or by her friends.
The day that I have to work together with her came. And to be honest, I am beyond nervous.
I was petrified.
There was only silence. On normal cases, I’d break the ice and start a conversation to find similar interest and get to know the person but strangely, I didn’t.
I had been taking my time doing my job and I reached a dead end for about an hour already. I wasted thirty minutes more before I reached out to her.
“I need help,” I said.
She looked at me before taking over my work. She furiously typed on my laptop. I only stared at her work and would occasionally glance when she would stop and think. I began to study her. She tried her best not to do the convenient and wrong way.
‘She’s trying to set an example,’ I thought.
By the end of the day, we both laughed.
She did the convenient and wrong way.

I had found out a similarity.
We both want things fast.
Still, we were polar opposites.

You can classify me under the conservative type, the one who everybody loves. In school, you may even call me a teacher’s pet or a goody two shoes. Some don’t like me. They call me fake and grade conscious. But I’m the type who doesn’t back down.
One time, I had a conversation with one rebel schoolmate. She doesn’t like me. She told me I’m too good to be true. I told her I’m not. I’m not good. I have my fair share of mischief and secrets that I want to keep. I told her my views, my aspirations, that I am not simply a teacher’s or parent’s puppet but I have a mind of my own. I told her I choose who I am.
By the end of the day, I made a friend.

I’ve been an expert at that. I knew it. I can manipulate people.
I tell them what they want to hear. I know how they want individuality and positivism. I know when they need silence and I know when to give anything to them. Be it a word or a gift.
It was the same thing for her.
Although, we were polar opposites.

Months went to past. I don’t find her presence awkward anymore. Comfortable isn’t the right word either.
Safe sounds better.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter