Confirmation

One Moment: A Series of Henber drabbles

Confirmation

It’s three in the morning and they are strolling along the Han river in silence. Amber is holding Henry’s hand tightly, but she can’t bring herself to look at him. She’s almost to the point of tears over nothing, and she completely blames it on her period coming in a couple of days.

“Are you ok?” Henry asks.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Why?”

They stop walking, and he turns her face to his. Her tears aren’t easy to suppress, but she’s trying her hardest.

“Something’s wrong. You’re way too quiet.”

She sighs. “I don’t know. I just feel really weird.”

“Are you sick?” he presses the back his hand to her stomach.  “Did you want to go get some medicine?”

“No. I’m fine, I mean…ugh!” she flattens down the front her hair.

He leads her over to a bench, and they take in the view without really appreciating it. She lays her head gingerly on his shoulder. “How do you think this whole thing is working out? With me and you.”

Henry pulls away, brow furrowed. “This is sounding a little too close to break-up talk.”

“No, no way!” Amber reassures him quickly. “I just, I was curious.”

“Well, let’s see.” Henry takes a moment to think. “We’re a secret from our friends, we barely ever get to see each other, and our dates consist of everything we already did before we went out, but other than that, it’s what it’s always going to be. Perfect.”

He smiles at her. “Or do you feel different?”

Amber shakes her head. “I feel the same. I just wish we could go out on a real date. Just once.”

“If we could, what would you want us to do?”

Amber thinks for a minute then smiles. “We’d go to my favorite Mexican restaurant. The burritos are as big as bricks. Oh, and we’d pretend it was one of our birthdays!”

Henry laughs. “Free dessert? I like it.”

“Oh yeah, and they’d sing to us in sombreros.”

“What else?” he asks.

She looks at him thoughtfully. “We’d go to the beach, set up a small bonfire. We’d bring our guitars.”

“And smores.”

“Well that’s kind of a given. What about you? If we could go on a real date, what would we do?”

“Promise you won’t laugh?”

Amber hesitates before agreeing. She usually laughs, no—cracks up at anything he doesn’t want her to.

“I’d take you to a hockey game,” he says simply.

This would be the perfect moment to insert a Canadian joke, but she follows through with her promise.

“And not because I’m Canadian. I swear,” Henry adds, reading her mind. “But I think you’d like it. We’d eat nachos and shout until we puke. Then egg on fights in the parking lot.”

“How romantic,” Amber rolls her eyes playfully.

“But the night wouldn’t be over,” he pulls her close enough for her to snuggle into the curve of his arm and chest. “We’d go back to my place, dim the lights, talk, make out. Then—“

“I love you.” Her voice trembles as she says it.

He is silent before lifting her head and gazing into her eyes. She feels vulnerable, and the PMS tears are approaching fast. It’s her first time ever saying it to someone who isn’t just a friend or a family member. It’s her first time confirming it for the both of them. As she waits for his response, it hits her just how long she’s felt that way and how strong it has become.

“I love you too,” he whispers, holding her gaze, then captures her trembling lips with his. Her stupid tears fall.

 

A/N: Hey there!! More to come. Just doing some editing and changing around since I realized that I’ll be sharing them with others and not just myself. The title for this . There’s about 5 more mini-fics/drabble thingies. Is anyone artistic enough to make me a banner for this or point me to someone who can? Thanks for reading!