Amber Lau

One Moment: A Series of Henber drabbles

A/N: I am super in love with the new poster for my series!! Credits to Mary517. Please check it out as surprisingly, something in the picture actually has to do with the very last chapter. The artist had no clue, but wow! Weird how things work out like that lol. Anyway, enjoy. And be sure to look at the title of this one.

 

Amber Lau

 

What if the Korean media finds out?” Amber asks nervously, as the van goes over a hole on the highway. “What if they all hate me?”

Henry can’t help but to laugh at her. “Relax. They’re going to think we’re just hanging out. And the fam will love you, trust me. It’s not like they don’t know who you are.”

“They’ve watched our videos?”

“Yep. My little sister may or may not have a crush on you.”

Amber buries her face in her hands and groans. “I seriously hope you’re joking.”

He begins to massage her shoulders. “Just relax. Be yourself. I told them you like basketball so we’ll get a game going after dinner maybe. Will that make you feel better?”

“That means I have to get through dinner first.” She looks up and pouts at him. “Henry, honestly, what if they don’t like me?”

“Then we’ll convince them otherwise,” he promises. Amber is always up for meeting new people, but meeting the parents of your boyfriend has a lot riding on it. Especially if they already have an image of who she is.

“Got the gifts?” he asks.

“Yeah.” She holds up the four large gift bags half-heartedly. The van goes over another bump.

He plays with her short fringe under her hat, which earns him a smile.

“Oh yeah, fair warning.” Henry suddenly remembers something. “My bro might refer to us as Henber.”

“No way,” said Amber, deadpanned. “How does he even know about that?”

“How else? He saw it online. I think Youtube on our Christmas video.”

“Great, so your sister thinks I'm hot, and your brother’s going to call us Henber all night. What should I expect from your parents?”

“Well my mom will be cool,” he trails off, “but she might bring up the importance of teaching violin to our non-existent children, and my father might try to rap to you. Very badly. Like, worse than me freestyling bad.”

Amber was looking gloomy until that last part. “Actually, that might be worth going for.”

They laugh and gaze at each other for awhile. He reaches out and her cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” she says, leaning in for a kiss. He completes it along with a few sweet pecks before putting his arm around her and pulling her close.

“Meeting my family is no big deal,” Henry murmurs with the rumbling of the van. “Meeting yours on the other hand…”

“We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now, let me survive this.” Amber closes her eyes and decides to sleep for the rest of the way.

When Henry and Amber arrive at the Lau residence, most of the family is outside waiting for the van to pull up. Henry squeezes Amber’s hand and kisses her before they step out. Many greetings happen all at once. His mother finds her first and hugs her tightly.

“Wow,” the woman exclaims. “You really are prettier in person.”

“Thanks,” Amber replies awkwardly, smiling.

Then Henry’s sister steps forward to shake her hand.

"Hi," Amber says nicely to her, her smile widening.

“Hi,” the young girl replies timidly, her cheeks flushed red.

Henry laughs at his sister. “Seriously, stop.”

"Shut up, stupid," the young girl whispers to him, shooting him a mortified look.

“Well hey there, Ms. Amber Lau. Did I just say that? I meant Liu. I’m sorry,” Henry’s dad says for his genuine mistake, wrapping her into a strong hug.

“You never know, Dad, you never know,” Henry jokes.

“Thanks for having me," Amber says. "I’ve heard a lot about you guys.”

By this point, she is nervously laughing and is beet red. And the shade only deepens when the front door opens up, and Henry’s brother makes his appearance.

“Henber’s arrived!” the guy shouts then runs down the drive to greet them. He picks Amber up and spins her around, which does not amuse Henry in the least bit.

“No wonder Henry likes you. You’re pretty and fun-sized.”

Amber only laughs, again more embarrassment, but Henry’s mother and father are now guiding her toward the house. Henry and his brother have grabbed their luggage and gifts from the van. She hears Henry behind them saying, “Dude, don’t hit on my girlfriend. And you, stop acting like a dazed super fan and talk.”

“I am a super fan. It's Amber freaking Liu,” whispers Henry’s sister.

“I didn't think she would be, but she's cute," says his brother. "You did good, Little Henry.”

Henry appears by her side, grabbing her free hand, and she relaxes. It’ll be a long visit, but it’s worth it. Amber imagines what meeting her own family will be like, since Henry will be in that same position in about four days.

Jackie will make an inappropriate joke about them and will insist on mountain biking at 6am the next day, her mother will show him every picture in the house, complete with detailed explanation, and her father will do everything he can to make Henry squirm. But they’ll like him. And if they plan on being together for the long haul, they’ll love him. Because she loves him, and he loves her. 

 "You ok?" he asks.

"Great," she answers geniunely.

 

A/N: One of my favorite ones to write and imagine :) Even though the next one is completed, I won't post it til the end of this week. Thanks for reading and please leave a comment if you'd like. I hope you enjoyed it. 2 more left!