Chapter 5

Silver Linings

Hyukjae stood frozen in the living room as he had a staring competition with Korea’s National Petal, Super Junior’s ½ Pillars, Knowing Bros’ MC, Kim ing Heechul. Why was Kim Heechul here? What was he doing at Donghae’s place? He was about to approach Kim Heechul when he got another heart attack when Leeteuk of Super Junior, Korea’s National MC, y Cooking Man entered the living room with a worried expression on his face, “Chul? What’s wrong, hon?” he asked worriedly.

Hyukjae blinked a few more times as if trying to confirm that he wasn’t really dreaming, because right in front of him was Super Junior sub-unit L&H, 2/13 of Super Junior. He was so close to a panic attack when Donghae entered the scene with a nervous smile.

“Hyungs, this is Hyukjae. Hyukjae, these are my hyungs.”

The younger breathe in deep as he cleared his throat, he shifted Eunhye in his arms, “H-Hello, I’m Lee Hyukjae, it’s nice to meet you, I’m a big fan.” He said softly, his cheeks red from the shyness he was feeling. Heechul grinned, “Wah! You’re such a cutie!”

Heechul… the perfect Kim Heechul just called him a cutie. Hyukjae felt like he was ready to die with a smile on his face right now. “Now that I’m looking at you… Teuk… Doesn’t he resemble you?” Heechul added as he stared at Hyukjae with furrowed brows. Hyukjae blinked, him? Resembling Leeteuk? The fallen angel of Super Junior? Heck, he was monkey not an angel.

Leeteuk chuckled as he wrapped his arms around Heechul’s waist, Hyukjae wanted to hyperventilate. Was Teukchul real?! Don’t blame him, he’s a ing shipper. “I don’t think so, Chul. He has his own charisma to him. Right, Hae-ah?” Leeteuk said with a kind smile. Donghae beamed, “He does and he’s really good with Eunhye, hyungs! See?” he said with a proud smile as he gestured at how calm Eunhye is in Hyukjae’s arms.

Heechul nodded, “I can see that… Hyukjae-ssi? Can I take Eunhye for a bit?” he asked softly, Hyukjae nodded with a soft smile. He handed Eunhye over to Heechul as they made their way towards the dining table. The dinner started with exchange of pleasantries and questions for Hyukjae, which the college boy diligently answered. The two additional men kept asking Hyukjae about his knowledge on Super Junior which was vast that it shocked the two pillars.

“Wow, impressive. So you’ve been with us since debut?” Heechul asked with a big smile. Hyukjae blinked and nodded, “I didn’t know I was a fan actually, since I was just 8 then. I just loved listening to all your songs until it developed and grew on me. I love how you’re all innovative and flexible. No matter where they put you guys, you’re always on the top of your game.” Hyukjae praised, a big smile on his face as he took another bite from his japchae.

“Jungsoo-ah, can we keep him?” Heechul asked with a pout.

“Yah!” Donghae butted in.

Hyukjae just giggled while Leeteuk smiled fondly at the younger, “So… What’s your favorite song, Hyukjae-ah?”

“I have lots, but I’ll probably say Shirt.” Hyukjae said with shy smile as he drank from his glass. Leeteuk raised a brow, he wasn’t expecting that. Usually it would be title songs or main tracks, he didn’t expect a song written by the man across him.

“Oh! Shirt is my favorite too, next to One More Chance that is. Donghae’s a genius when it comes to composing songs, neh Hyukjae?” Heechul babbled, missing how Hyukjae stiffened and how Donghae’s eyes widened at Heechul’s words.

“D-Donghae?” Hyukjae asked with a confused face.

Leeteuk raised a brow, “Yes. Lee Donghae… he’s our compo-”

“HYUNG.” Donghae interjected, “I don’t think Hyukjae would enjoy that topic.”

Heechul snorted, “He’s a fan boy, Hae. He’d be thrilled to know that he works for LDH.”

“W-What?” Hyukjae asked again, his heart hammering against his chest at the revelation. Lee Donghae was LDH? Leeteuk looked at Hyukjae with a concerned expression, “Hyukjae? You didn’t know?” He asked softly. Hyukjae then looked at Donghae, “W-Why didn’t you tell me? Was it fun watching me gush over you like an idiot?” he asked, softly. He wasn’t mad. He was far from that, he was just… hurt?

Leeteuk felt the tension so he cleared his throat, “Heechul, come on. Let’s take Eunhye to the roof top for some air. Where’s her coat, Hyukjae-ah?” The kind man asked softly. Hyukjae stood up from his seat wordlessly as he went to Eunhye’s room to grab a thick coat, his mind reeling at the possibilities of why Donghae had kept such information from him.

Did Donghae not trust him at all? Was Donghae skeptical about him? Did Donghae think he’ll take advantage of his position? With every thought that conjured in Hyukjae’s head, his heart began to hurt even more. Sure, they only have known each other for just a week, but Hyukjae has been nothing but honest to Donghae.

As he went back to the dining area, he helped Heechul put on the coat on Eunhye before the two older men left with the baby leaving him and Donghae alone. Hyukjae had never felt this tension in his life, his emotions in turmoil as he tried to figure out why Donghae had hid this information. Donghae sat down on the sofa and gestured Hyukjae to do the same.

“Hyuk… I’m sorry…” Donghae started; his eyes boring on the other’s figure who was rigid, his eyes everywhere but Donghae’s.

Hyukjae nodded, “Okay. But… why?”

Donghae sighed, that’s the million dollar question. Why did he even kept such information from Hyukjae in the first place? Was it because of the anonymity? Or was because he just wanted to be someone normal for Hyukjae? Not the LDH he admired and fawned over? No, that definitely wasn’t it. He loved to hear Hyukjae’s thoughts over his songs, his beats, his lyrics, then… what had prevented him from saying who he really was in the first place?

“I like you.” Donghae blurted out.

Of course, he just had to blurt out the truth.

Hyukjae blinked, “W-What?”

Donghae sighed, there was no use now. “I like you, Hyukjae. You’re honest, carefree, loving, sweet, gentle, a dreamer and a fighter, sometimes you can be too naggy or too bratty but you’re this bright ball of sunshine and dim glow of moonlight that had suddenly marched into me and Eunhye’s life without any preamble at all. I loved hearing your opinions about my songs and my lyrics. Remember what you had told me the first time we talked? You said, you wanted to be LDH’s missing piece.”

The younger looked up and stared back at Donghae who had such longing in his eyes and he couldn’t help but feel light-headed because he knew where this conversation was heading too.

“You are my missing piece, Lee Hyukjae. The moment you came through my door, I had this strange feeling to write again. To make brighter songs, happier songs. You’ve become my muse in such a short period of time. And I don’t want to scare you off. I was… I was planning on telling you, asking you if you wanted a record deal, but not this early. I-I… I’m sorry if you found this way, Hyuk. But please, don’t leave me.”

Hyukjae sat frozen, his heart thumping so hard that he’s scared Donghae can hear it. He knew he had felt something for the older but he never acted upon it, he was scared and he felt like their minds were worlds apart. But now, he looked back at the man who had just bared his heart to him.

“D-Donghae…”

“I’m sorry if you don’t-“

“I like you too.”

“Hyuk, I meant me… not LDH-“

“I like you as Lee Donghae not LDH, myeongcheong-ah.”

Donghae looked up from his lap and stared back at Hyukjae with wide eyes and a gaped mouth.

“What? C-Can you please repeat that?”

“I said I liked you, for who you are entirely. For being a lonely man with a missing piece, for being such a fitness freak and health freak, for being such a bigger baby than Eunhye sometimes, I like you, Lee Donghae. I really do.”

Donghae cracked the biggest smile before launching himself at Hyukjae, his arms wrapping around Hyukjae slender waist as he pulled the man up from the sofa for a hug. Hyukjae blushed at the sudden skinship but nonetheless wrapped his arms around the man’s broad shoulders to return the affection. He felt Donghae’s nose burying on the crook of his neck that he silently than the Gods above for telling him to take a shower an hour ago.

“We can take this slow, neh?” Donghae said in a soft tone, “See where this leads us?”

Hyukjae smiled before nodding into Donghae’s shoulder, “Good things happen to people who don’t rush.” He said back, in an equally soft voice. Donghae smiled, “That’s why something good came to me…”

Hyukjae hummed in question.

“You’re the good in the bad things that has happened, and I’m not planning on letting you go anytime soon.” Donghae whispered, lovingly.

Hyukjae smiled, “Me too.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


One update for today! Sorry guys, I'm currently confined due to Dengue. >:( But I promise I'll update tomorrow probably by evening? Anyway, stay healthy everyone! I see all your comments and it warms my heart that you're all enjoyig this fic. I'm terribly sorry if I can't reply one by one but I'm free to answer all your questions in the dms and twiitter and telegram. V^^V Have an amazing day guys. <3 - Ji.