Chapter 3

Silver Linings

The day went on as blur for Hyukjae as he spent his time playing and watching over Eunhye while Donghae was coped up in his study, as Hyukjae concluded. Donghae checked on them from time to time, when Hyukjae saw that it was time to make dinner, he took out his phone and played some random nursery rhyme on it as he placed Eunhye on her high chair, setting it in arm’s length just in case Eunhye will need something. He began taking out ingredients and began whipping up a simple dinner for him and Donghae, he also made some chicken soup for Eunhye.

Donghae came out of his study just as Hyukjae was setting the table, “Hey, sorry about that. I was working on something.” He said softly as he began helping with setting the table. Hyukjae smiled at him, “It’s no problem, Donghae-hyung. I figured that you were working.”

“Hyung?” Donghae asked in an amused tone. Hyukjae blushed, “I… Well, you are older than me… and I can’t really-“

“Hyukjae…”

“Y-yes, sir?”

“Just call me Donghae.”

Hyukjae blushed and nodded, “O-Okay, Donghae.”

Eunhye made herself known as she cutely slammed her small fists on the surface of the highchair. The two blushing men suddenly turned their attention back to the frowning baby, Hyukjae chuckled, “Is Eunhye-ah hungry?” the younger cooed out, Donghae chuckled and helped with the soup as they continued to eat dinner in a comfortable atmosphere.

“I’ll do the dishes, Hyukjae. You can help Eunhye with her bath and then it’ll be time for her to go to sleep.” Donghae said softly, “All her clothes are in her nursery, you can rummage through them if you want.” He said as he began cleaning up the table. Hyukjae nodded, “Will do.” He said as he carried Eunhye off her high chair before proceeding to the bathroom, he began filling the tub with lukewarm water and chose a vanilla scented baby bath bomb. He helped the baby out of her diapers and clothing and began giving Eunhye a much needed bath, Hyukjae could see that the baby’s eyes were slowly drooping already.

Hyukjae smiled gently, the baby had already grown on him even if he was here for less than 24 hours. He dried her up with a large fluffy towel and wrapped her around it to warm her up. He headed to the kitchen to make a formula of milk to see that Donghae was just finishing up dishes. He began making the milk with ease as he had Eunhye in his other arm, he could feel that the baby was already on the verge of falling asleep.

Donghae smiled at the sight, Eunhye looked so comfortable in Hyukjae’s arms. The college boy shifted the baby into his arms as he exited the kitchen without knowing that Donghae was admiring him. He just gave a side smile before turning the lights off in the kitchen. He followed the babysitter into the nursery and watched in interest as Hyukjae placed the almost asleep Eunhye on the baby bed, Hyukjae opened the cabinet to see that the clothes were not arranged in an easy way to figure out where things were kept.

He looked at Donghae disapprovingly, “Really, Donghae?”

Donghae chuckled as he raised his hands up in surrender, “Sorry, I really don’t have the time to arrange them, and the housekeeper only comes once a week to tidy up the place.” He said in reason. Hyukjae just sighed in disappointment before he shook his head, storing in his mind that he needs to fix this tomorrow.

Hyukjae grabbed a pair of overalls and a fresh diaper, he fixed up Eunhye with ease, he picked the baby up and cradled her up in her arms before putting the bottle in which she gladly accepted. He began humming a soft tune as he rocked her back and forth. The older leaned against the door frame as he watched the younger handling Eunhye with care and affection. He smiled, he did make the right decision.

The younger placed Eunhye down on her cot gently as the baby was already far away in dreamland, the two men exited the room with hushed footsteps.

“You’re amazing with her.” Donghae complimented. Hyukjae chuckled, “I was told that I had a magic touch when it comes to kids.” He said softly, as he shuffled from one foot to another, “Do you… plan on having kids?’ Donghae asked, as he leaned his back against the hallway walls. Hyukjae smiled, “Adoption, I guess?” he said softly, Donghae raised a brow.

“I-I’m well, I don’t like girls that way.” He said, his blush redder. Donghae chuckled, “Me too.”

Hyukjae blinked, “W-What?”

Donghae smiled at him, “Good night, Hyukjae.”

The younger stayed frozen at his spot as Donghae entered his room without looking back. Was… Donghae gay? Is that why he’s a single father? Hyukjae blinked a few more times before shaking his head as he buried those kinds of thoughts away. He entered his own room and began doing his hygiene routine.

 

*

 

It was exactly 2:45am when Hyukjae woke up to small cries coming from Eunhye’s room, he stood up abruptly from his comfortable bed and ran as quickly as he could to the baby’s nursery, his head aching from the sudden movement but all he could think about is Eunhye crying. He opened the door to the nursery and took the baby in to his arms without second thought as he began to soothe the baby back to sleep.

He went to the kitchen and began making a small amount of milk, just enough for Eunhye to feel sleepy once again. He walked back to the nursery but stopped outside the door, after a few minutes of contemplation, he walked pass the nursery and brought the baby back to his room. His noona had reminded him always that babies cry whenever they feel like they are scared and that they felt unsafe. So he took it upon himself to bring the crying baby to his room.

He knew Donghae wouldn’t mind. Hyukjae gently placed Eunhye on top of his chest as he laid down on his back. He patted her back gently as he took away the bottle from . He shifted slightly to see that the baby had already fallen asleep, he smiled before closing his eyes and returning back to his sleep once again.

 

*

 

Donghae stretched as he woke up from a deep sleep, it had been months since his last eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. He got out of bed and did his morning routine before exiting his bedroom and going straight to Eunhye’s, he opened the door slightly to see that the room was empty. He furrowed his brows in confusion, what the hell?

He stepped back from the door and sprinted towards the kitchen, there was also no signs of Eunhye nor Hyukjae. Panic started to rise in Donghae’s chest. Had he been too trusting? What if that college boy had an ulterior motive all along? Donghae shook his head. No, Hyukjae wouldn’t be able to do that. He took a deep breath and thought about the last room he hadn’t checked, Hyukjae’s.

Donghae walked over to the room to see that the door was slightly ajar, he opened the door fully to see a heart-warming sight. Sprawled on the bed was Hyukjae with Eunhye protectively on top of Hyukjae’s chest, their breath in sync as one of Hyukjae’s hand was on Eunhye’s back as support.

Hyukjae shifted gently, his hand automatically weaved its way to Eunhye’s nape as he gently laid the baby on the bed, his eyes fluttering open from the sunrays that poured through the windows. His sleepy eyes landed on the figure that was leaning against the doorframe.

“Good morning, Donghae.” He rasped out as he fisted his hands, rubbing the sleepiness away from his eyes. Donghae had to bite his lip to stop himself from screaming at how cute the babysitter looked. He smiled gently, “Good morning, I didn’t know you took Eunhye.” He said softly, not wanting to wake up the sleeping baby.

“Oh, sorry about that. She woke up in the middle of the night and I remembered what my noona told me back then so I took her and made her sleep here.” He explained as he made a move to get out of bed, “Shall I cook breakfast?” Hyukjae asked the older.

Donghae smiled, “You can go wash up, I’ll make breakfast. Coffee, Tea or?”

“Milk.” Hyukjae beamed, Donghae chuckled. “Got it, sir.” He joked.

Hyukjae giggled, “Thank you, sir.” He retorted. Donghae rolled his eyes playfully, “Go wash up.” Hyukjae hummed and piled up the pillows around Eunhye to prevent her from falling off the bed. Donghae exited the room and smiled to himself.

Mornings suddenly got better with Hyukjae in them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Double update for today! Don't forget to read the previous chapter before jumping on this one. :> I hope you're all spoiled in these updates. :) Don't forget to drop your thoughts and love. I hope you enjoyed this! I'll update again tomorrow once I get home from my shifts. <3 - Ji.