Chapter 2

Silver Linings

Donghae guided Hyukjae to his new room as he had Eunhye on his hip, he opened the door to the guest room and let the college boy settle in, “You’ll stay here, Hyukjae. I hope the room is okay for you?” He asked the younger who looked absolutely pleased with what he’s seeing. He beamed at Donghae and the older could only swear mentally at the attack. “Yes, Donghae-ssi. The room is 100x better than my dorm-room.” He said with outmost glee as he sat down on the plush bed that was pushed up against the gray minimalist painted walls.

Donghae chuckled, “I’m glad you like it then. Shall I order us some lunch?” He asked the younger as he began to rock Eunhye on his hips. Hyukjae shook his head and stood up before gently taking Eunhye from Donghae, “I’ll cook for us, it’ll cost less.” He said as he strutted off to the kitchen. Donghae shook his head as he had smile on his lips.

He followed the younger as he watch him maneuver through the kitchen with Eunhye in his arms, he took out pots and pans and ingredients from the chiller and cupboards. “How does Teokgalbi sound, boss?” Hyukjae asked as he took out a frozen chicken. Donghae hummed as he sat down on the bar stool that was placed beside the kitchen countertop. “Yeah, not too spicy though.” He said with a grimace. Hyukjae could only chuckle, “Got it, boss. Too bad, I like Teokgalbi spicy.” The younger commented, before adjusting Eunhye in his arms, “Eunhye-ah, oppa’s gonna make some lunch okay? Can we behave for a few minutes while watching Pororo? Mm? I know we can, right?” Hyukjae cooed at the baby.

Eunhye could only giggle and pat Hyukjae’s cheek as confirmation. Donghae could just watch in awe, Hyukjae really knew how to handle babies. “Donghae-ssi, where’s her milk?” he asked, Donghae stood up and opened the cupboard filled with Eunhye’s needs, from milk to baby food; everything was there. Hyukjae nodded, he placed Eunhye against his chest once again and began making lukewarm milk with one hand, “Do you want me to take her?” Donghae asked, Hyukjae shook his head, “No, I can manage.” Hyukjae said as he concentrated on the milk.

He beamed in satisfaction as he finished it with small struggle. “I got your milk right here, Eunhye-ah. Let’s watch that Pororo while having milk, okay?” Hyukjae once again, cooed at her. Donghae was beyond impressed as he watched as how Hyukjae carefully placed Eunhye on the sofa, a bunch of pillow supporting her as he the television, switching it to a baby channel. He eyed Hyukjae as he checked Eunhye once again before walking back to the kitchen.

He began cook and slice with ease, not minding that Donghae was on his phone as he tried to figure out new lyrics for his song. He stopped glaring at his iPhone when he began to hear Hyukjae humming a familiar tune. Why did…. it sound familiar? Then he began singing. Donghae stopped breathing all of a sudden.

neowa nae saiga ireoke dwel jul mollasseo, eodiseobuteo jalmottwen geonji nan moreugesseo, nan gyesok hemaegoman inneun i shigani naegen cham godwene.” He softly sung as he began putting the chicken in the pot. Donghae blinked a few times, it was his song. He composed it for Super Junior’s sub-unit L&H. “That’s a nice song.” He blurted out, Hyukjae looked up from his cooking smiled, “It is, isn’t it? It’s sad but at the same time soothing.” He said softly.

Donghae’s brows rose in attention, “What do you mean?” he asked in curiosity, he has heard many compliments but nothing like that. Hyukjae hummed before leaning against the countertop, “The composer of the song… he sounds lonely. I’ve listened to almost every song he composed and… all of them has this longing in them. Like… he’s missing a piece in his life and he doesn’t know what it is.” Hyukjae commented, he furrowed his brows, “His latest…was One More Chance? God, that song made me break down without any reason at all.” He said as he chuckled in the end.

“I’m sorry, you must think I’m weird.” Hyukjae said softly as he returned to cooking, Donghae stood up and began taking out plates. “No, I don’t think you’re weird. I just… I wonder how you’ve come up with those thoughts without knowing him?” the older asked, Hyukjae stopped before tilting his head.

“A composer uses emotions and life experiences to make songs, don’t they? Songs are the product of the composer’s subconscious, if there were no thoughts, no experiences and then there will be no words or lyrics for songs.” Hyukjae explained, craning his head to the living room to see that Eunhye was still busy with her bottle and cartoon. Donghae was once again in awe at the student’s insight about composing songs.

It suddenly became clear to him, his drought… his… lyrics.

Hell, he couldn’t even figure out why he had kept writing sad lyrics, but then this boy comes in, and in less than 12 hours gives him the reason why he kept writing them in the first place.

Donghae was lonely. Donghae was looking for someone.

He looked up and his eyes landed on Hyukjae.

The person I was looking for is you, all about you.

He furrowed his eyebrows as words came to his head.

The person you're looking for is me all about you.

Donghae’s eyes widened before he sprinted to his recording studio, he cracked his knuckles and began creating a beat and writing down the lyrics he had thought about. His mind filled with so many thoughts from the moment he laid his eyes on the college student.

“From head to toe, so dazzling to me.” He muttered under his breath as he wrote it down, his fingers moving freely as he began writing down his thoughts and feelings. He began to work on the beat with the other as laid down all the foundations for the song.

Hyukjae who was left in the kitchen blinked before shrugging as he turned his back on finishing his cooking. He put the fire on low as he went to the living room, seeing that Eunhye had already finished her milk and was patiently watching the television.

“Where did you daddy go, huh?” Hyukjae asked the little baby with a pout, Eunhye giggled and made a gesture at Hyukjae to pick her up. “Okay, Princess. I got you.” Hyukjae said with a chuckle as he lifted her off the sofa with ease. He made his way back to the kitchen and turned off the stove, knowing that the food was already cooked.

“What do you want to eat today, Eunhye-ah?” He asked the baby with a thinking face, the baby garbled in response. Hyukjae opened the cupboards and saw tons of pre-made baby foods. He scrunched up his face, “These things are not healthy. This won’t do.” He huffed, he went back to the fridge and took out some potatoes and sour cream and chives.

“Mashed potato it is.” He hummed before making the food with ease.

“What are you doing?” Donghae suddenly called out. Hyukjae jolted in surprise, “You scared me, Donghae-ssi!” Hyukjae exclaimed, “but… I’m making Eunhye something to eat and before you tell me that there are lots of pre-made foods in the cupboards, they’re not healthy for Eunhye-ah. I’ll go to the grocery tomorrow to buy ingredients and stock up this kitchen, if that’s okay with you, Donghae-ssi?” Hyukjae asked, without looking up from the potato he was boiling.

Donghae smiled, he thinks about everything. He thought.

“Okay, I’ll be fine the whole morning alone tomorrow.” Donghae said as he unfolded Eunhye’s highchair, “Hyukjae, give me Eunhye so you can work without hassle.” He said as he gestured Hyukjae to hand the clinging baby to him. Hyukjae nodded as he moved to the other side of the counter, handing Eunhye back to him as Donghae gently put her to sit down on her high chair.

Hyukjae took off the pot from the heat and began peeling the potato under running water; he began mashing as he added some sour cream, a bit of salt and chives. He washed his hands and served the teokgalbi and some side-dishes. Donghae’s stomach grumbled at the smell, they began to eat in silence as Hyukjae fed Eunhye in between his bites. “You’re a good cook, Hyukjae.” Donghae complimented, Hyukjae chuckled, “If I wasn’t then I wouldn’t have survived, Donghae-ssi.” He said with a soft smile.

“Hey, Hyukjae?”

“Yeah?”

“What would you say to that composer if ever you met him?”

Hyukjae pursed his lips together, “Can I tell you a secret, Donghae-ssi?”

Donghae raised a brow.

Hyukjae smiled, “I think it’s possible.”

“What is?”

“To fall in love with someone you barely know.’

The composer blinked his heart racing at the younger’s words. “W-What?”

Hyukjae hummed, “I’d tell him I’ll be his missing piece, I’ll write songs with him, sing him songs as samples, make him coffee if he needs to pull an all-nighter. I’ll tell him I love him, his songs, his loneliness and everything he comes with.” He said with a gentle smile. “But, that’d be impossible.”

“Why would it be impossible?” Donghae asked softly, his heart couldn’t take in the younger’s confession, his words ringing inside the composer’s ear.

“LDH is somewhere up here, while I’m down here.”

Donghae chuckled, of course. LDH, he had never used his whole name when it came to producing and composing. Only the people behind his work and people he had worked with knows the real LDH.

“LDH sounds like a lucky man to have a fan like you.” Donghae commented fondly.

“I’m lucky I found him too.”

“What do you mean?”

Hyukjae shrugged as he just gave Donghae a cryptic smile, “I wouldn’t be here now if I didn’t.”

Donghae looked at Hyukjae, for the first time in his thirty-five years of living, he felt like he could write thousands of songs again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hi! Here's our second update. :) I did promise a daily update... so here's a bit of insight on Hyukjae's thoughts about LDH. And how he doesn't know that he's talking to the man he has been gushing all about from the start. ^_^" I hope you'll like this chapter. I'll try to interact more in the comments but if you want to reach me, you can follow me on twitter @TeukAngelRin and telegram @teukangelrin - I'd be happy to interact and share my thoughts with you there. :) Have a good day everyone! - Ji.