Chapter 6

Silver Linings

Hyukjae tucked Eunhye in his bed as the baby was already fast asleep, Heechul and Leeteuk already left hours ago after they had given him and Donghae the needed time to talk things through. He sighed in contentment, happy at how things turned out after the abrupt confession; his heart was still high from that buzzing euphoria running through his system. He beamed at the ceiling as he gave a soft sigh of satisfaction. His thoughts were cut off when he heard a soft knock on his door, Donghae gently opened it as he popped his head into the room and he smiled when he saw Hyukjae.

“Do you have a second, Hyuk-ah?” the composer asked softly, opening the door fully. Hyukjae hummed before nodding, “Yeah, just let me secure Eunhye first.” He called out gently as he secured Eunhye in the middle of the bed with pillows surrounding her. Hyukjae stood up from the bed and made his way towards the composer.

“There’s something I want you to hear.” Donghae said with a proud smile. Hyukjae’s heart hammered at those words. “What is it?” He asked curiously as he followed the older to his study. Donghae opened the door and Hyukjae gaped once he saw what’s inside. It wasn’t a study; it was a mini recording studio. His inner singer and composer reveled at the sight in from of him. The smell of papers and coffee infiltrated his senses; his wide eyes scanned every single award that LDH had received over the years.

“Oh my god.” Was the only thing Hyukjae could utter as he stepped inside, he blinked a few more times before it had dawned upon him that he was not with Lee Donghae anymore, he was with composer LDH right now. His sight landed on a music sheet that was on the recording panel, he squinted his eyes, “Bout You.” He read out loud, he heard Donghae shuffle behind him before the composer went pass him and took the music sheet and handed it to Hyukjae.

“This is the song composed entirely because of you.” Donghae said, proudly.

“Me? This song? Is about me?” Hyukjae asked bewildered but touched at the same time, Donghae gave a soft and nervous chuckle. “Yeah, it is. Do… do you want to hear the demo? I tried recording it last night.”

“Wait, you sing?!” Hyukjae once again exclaimed. The older blinked and cleared his throat, “Yes, I do. But not for those kinds of things, just usually for demos.” He said with a soft blush as gestured Hyukjae to sit down on the leather swivel chair, he handed Hyukjae the earphones, setting down the volume to a comfortable one.

“Let… me know what you think okay?” Donghae said nervously, Hyukjae smiled, “Okay, I’ll let you know.”

Donghae hit play.

Hyukjae’s ears were filled with upbeat tones and the sweetest voice he had heard, this was different from the usual LDH song he had heard over the past years, this sounded happier, livelier. His heart was screaming in happiness as he decipher every lyric and how Donghae had told him that the song was about him.

I can’t explain all of these feelings

I’m not just saying this

I’m only thinking about you

I want to know you, just all about you

Don’t ask me why, my answer is just you

 

Hyukjae couldn’t put his finger on it but the song had spoken to him as well, he couldn’t help but feel what Donghae felt as he listened to the song. It made him feel loved and wanted and ing needed, and he wanted Donghae to know that the feeling was mutual.

If Donghae was about him, then there was no doubt that He was about Donghae too.

The person I wanna be with is you, all about you.

Exactly, that was what Hyukjae had felt. The only person he wanted to be with right now was Lee Donghae. His heart chanted Lee Donghae. His mind chanted Lee Donghae. His soul chanted Lee Donghae. And it scared Hyukjae. What if this was just a phase to the older? What if one day Donghae won’t be about Hyukjae anymore? What if suddenly Eunhye’s mom comes back and takes away both Donghae and Eunhye from him? Was he ready for that kind of heartbreak? Probably not.

He didn’t even notice that he was crying before Donghae took off his earphones and he was already in the older’s arms as he began caressing his back as a sign of comfort and warmth. He clung to Donghae without second thought, reveling at the closeness between them, as his doubts gnawing at him from the inside.

“Hey? Was the song that bad?” Donghae asked with a bit of humor as he tried to uplift Hyukjae’s mood. Hyukjae shook his head against Donghae’s shoulders. “N-No, i-it was g-great, Oh God, it was so great t-that I can’t help b-but feel t-things for y-you Donghae. Things I s-shouldn’t feel b-because I know o-one of these d-days i-it’ll come back at me a-and bite me a-at the back.” Hyukjae sobbed out as he clenched his fists against the flannel shirt of the older.

“Hyukjae-ah, calm down for me okay? Calm down and let’s talk about this. You can’t keep these thoughts all to yourself baby, you need to tell me things so we can work it out. We’re in this together.” Donghae coaxed, the pet name baby slipped through his mouth without preamble. Hyukjae nodded, “I-I’m sorry, I’m just scared to lose you…and Eunhye.” He hiccupped.

“You won’t lose us, Hyuk-ah. Where will you even lose us?”

“To her mom?” Hyukjae blurted out weakly.

Donghae stiffened. Of course, he hadn’t had the time to tell Hyukjae about the truth behind Eunhye and her mom. “Stupid, Lee Donghae.” He scolded himself mentally. Donghae sighed gently before cupping Hyukjae’s cheeks, ‘Eunhye’s mom is not gonna come back, Hyuk-ah.”

Hyukjae wanted to look down but the hand that gently cradled his face prevented it, “How would you know?” he asked softly, his voice cracking at the end of the sentence.

“Eunhye’s mom died giving birth to her and Eunhye is not mine, Hyuk-ah. Soojin had someone, we weren’t in love, we were arranged to be together. SO we both lived as friends, nothing more. Until she became pregnant with Eunhye, she asked me to stand as the baby’s father because the man he was seeing wasn’t accepted in their family, that’s why I became Eunhye’s dad. She had a complication right after giving birth that she couldn’t make it. Eunhye was left with me, I couldn’t even call her real father because I never met him, nor did Soojin give any information about him.” Donghae explained as he continued to caress Hyukjae’s back, the younger’s sobbing was now calm and just turned into short intake of breathes.

“I’m sorry.” Hyukjae said softly, not knowing else what to say. Donghae hummed, “It’s okay, Soojin was a good companion but she never really appealed to me in the you have. She was a good friend, nothing else.” He said gently as Hyukjae buried his nose on Donghae’s shoulders.

“Is that the only thing that has been bothering you, Hyuk-ah?”

Hyukjae hummed.

“Tell me.” Donghae coaxed out.

“What if…I’m just a phase to you, Hae?” Hyukjae asked, Donghae raised a brow at the assumption.

“What do you mean?”

“You’re lonely then suddenly I came. What if… I’m just here to give you temporary happiness? What if you find another person who can offer greater things to you? Who can offer you permanent happiness?” Hyukjae trailed off, his nose still buried on Donghae’s shoulder as he continued to inhale the calming scent Donghae emitted.

“Then give me permanent happiness Hyukjae. Be my great thing in life, offer me your love and affection then I’ll be the happiest man alive. As I said, baby; we’re in this together, for the long run. We aren’t gonna rush things, we’ll get to know each other, we’ll learn about each other’s habits, secrets, lives. We’re too old for teenage flings, Hyuk. Well, at least I am. Am I a teenage fling to you then, Hyukjae?” Donghae asked in a gentle but serious tone. Hyukjae looked up from Donghae’s shoulder and shook his head.

“Of course not. You’re my silver lining, Hae.”

Donghae blinked, “Silver lining?”

“A silver lining is a sign of hope or a positive aspect in an otherwise negative situation. I was such a wreck months ago, I couldn’t do anything, I couldn’t eat properly, sleep properly, heck and I was living in a death trap. I was lonely and on the verge of giving up my dream, but I prayed hard. So hard, hoping for one more chance at the dream I fought so hard for. Then you happened.” Hyukjae rambled on, his feelings and thoughts bared out. “Lee Donghae, I prayed for you.”

Donghae could’ve sworn that he had fallen deeper for this man in front of him with his words.

“I prayed for you too, Lee Hyukjae.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


probably the softest chapter I've ever written. >_< Seriously though, what's the most romantic thing you can hear from a person than him praying for you? Asking the heavens for a person to be your missing puzzle? Ah, I really feel like I've gone too soft these days. -_- It hurts me physically. XD Also, my platelets have gone up and I've had no more fevers, once I'm stable for the next 24 hours, I'll be out of the hospital in no time! ^^~ Anyway, stay healthy my amazing readers! <3 -Ji.