Chapter Six: Bridges

Getting to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter Six: Bridges

 

Naeun wasn't sure what compelled her to agree when she was supposed to be going back to her hotel to pack. As she stared at Taemin's waiting eyes, she found herself nodding to his question. 

 

She wasn't sure if it's due to the string lights hanging outside the restaurant, but Naeun saw his eyes brighten when she did.

 

Moments later, they found themselves walking along the riverbanks of the Seine River. The evening was lively as tourists and locals alike enjoyed a stroll along the river. From their location, she could see the renowned Notre Dame Cathedral standing from afar. Despite the damage caused by the fire from about a year ago, it still managed to capture people's attention with its magnificent and impressive structure. Several flights below them, she saw a few floating restaurants and tourist boats keeping the river busy. 

 

They continued to stroll in comfortable silence, enjoying their time as the opportunity to wander around freely and away from the cameras' prying eyes was hard to come by. It was such a simple thing, yet it was something they had lost for being public figures.  

 

As minutes passed, Naeun eventually realized why she agreed to go with him. Somehow, deep within her, she knew she didn't want their night to end just like that. Moments like this would be near impossible to happen once they return to Korea. Besides, what's another hour with Taemin?

 

Naeun's eyes were busy watching the lively crowd when Taemin stopped walking. Turning on his heels to face her, he said, "Do you want to go for a cruise?"

 

With a look of surprise, she met his gaze with raised eyebrows. "Right now?" she asked, her eyes moving to look towards the tourist boat docked close by.

 

"Come on," he urged with a smile, "it will be fun." She could tell by his tone that he was not jesting. 

 

She gave it another thought before answering. "Okay," she said, and she saw how Taemin's face lit up. 

 

Taemin was about to say something when they heard the man standing by the boat's entrance shout. "The boat is leaving in four minutes!" he yelled in English with a thick French accent. 

 

Naeun gave Taemin a worried look. "Oh no, I don't think we're going to make it," she said.

 

"Not if we run," he proposed, the corner of lips curling into a playful smile. 

 

Before she could react, Taemin reached for her right hand with his left. "Let's go!" he said almost too enthusiastically and started running.

 

Without being given a chance to think, Naeun had no choice but to go along. 

 

"Slow down," she complained and tugged at his hand as she tried to match his speed. 

 

Despite wearing comfortable shoes, she realized they weren't equipped for running, causing her to slow down.

 

In response, Taemin slowed down his pace. "Sorry," he murmured and continued to lead them past the lively crowd.

 

When they reached the entrance to the boat, they were both panting hard. "Do you have tickets for two more?" Taemin asked as he continued to try to catch his breath.

 

The middle-aged man looked at them and grinned, exposing his white teeth. "Of course!" he answered jovially. "You lovers are welcome to join us!"

 

'What?!' Naeun was speechless for a second at the man's assumption. When she recovered, she parted her lips to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter