Chapter One

Getting to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter One

 

 

The weather has been really warm lately.

Don’t forget to use sunscreen and drink enough water. 

~ Happy Birthday

Sent 07.18.2019   3:26 PM

 

Thank you!

I’ll keep that in mind.

Received 07.18.2019   4:54 PM

 

It’s snowing heavily today. 

Make sure to wear something warm.

Happy Birthday! 

Received 02.10.2020   06:23 AM

 

Thank you! 

Sent 02.10.2020   02:00 PM

 

Happy Birthday~

I heard you’re releasing a new album soon.

Don’t skip your meals.

Sent 07.18.2020.  12:25 PM

 

I will. Thank you! 

Received 07.18.2020   04:22 PM

 

Naeun continued to scroll through her phone, rereading her past conversations with Taemin. The messages were pretty much the same, just sent on different dates.

 

'Why are we still doing this,' she wondered.

 

It amazes her that they had managed to keep this long thread of conversation of them greeting each other during their birthdays for the past several years. Other than that, they had never met nor spoken outside of this conversation. Neither of them had attempted to reach out. They were almost back to being strangers, but not quite. 

 

"Naeun-ah, who are you texting? We're supposed to be drinking and having fun!"

 

She quickly set her phone on the table and turned to her obviously drunk friend. She was feeling a little tipsy herself. "Nothing," she replied, managing a smile. 

 

"Here!" Her friend handed her a shot of vodka, which she quickly downed, feeling the warmth of the liquid trickle down . 

 

Today was her friend's birthday, so they were out celebrating. They came as a big group, but most were gone dancing somewhere on the dance floor. It was only her and her friend who remained at their table.

 

A few moments later, Naeun was beginning to feel the effects of the last shot she took. The one before that was supposed to be her last one, but she couldn't refuse the birthday girl. Now, she was starting to feel a little drowsy and light-headed. 

 

She was contemplating whether she should call it a night and leave early when she felt her friend nudge her on her side. "Omo, Naeun-ah, look!" Her friend shouted loudly against the blaring music. "Isn't that Taemin!"

 

Following her friend's gaze, her unbelieving eyes landed on the familiar person crossing the dance floor. "No way," she muttered, putting a hand over . It was really him. Unless she and her friend were that drunk that their eyes were playing tricks on them. 

 

Without much thought, she got up from her seat, her feet automatically moving on their own. "I'll be right back."

 

"Omo! Where are you going?" Her friend called, stopping her by holding her elbow. "Are you crazy? You're going to talk to him?!" Came her friend's disbelieving inquiries. 

 

"I know," she answered mindlessly, turning to face her friend. "This is a bad idea, isn't it?" She broke into a short laugh, not missing her friend's disbelieving eyes. 

 

"If you think it's a bad idea, maybe you should not do it?" her friend urged, gesturing at the seat she just vacated, then tugged at her arm. "I think you're just drunk. Why don't you sit down before you do something you'll regret later?"

 

She nodded without much thought, making her friend release her hold on her. Little did her friend realize that her words of advice fell on deaf ears. The vodka had already clouded her judgment.

 

Stepping swiftly away from her friend's reach, Naeun gave an ambiguous look. "I'll just go and say 'hi' then come back." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter