Open Book (Known and To be Known)

Bittersweet Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Things could’ve changed for so much better," said her sister warmly, reaching out to squeeze Jeongyeon’s hand.

And she’d hoped too, that nothing could change the history she had back in their hometown with her family, her friends, and with Mina – nothing. But she had made a promise to someone that she shouldn’t dwell on the past and move on for the better.

Thus, a new place to start another chapter in her life.

A vague nagging in the pit of her stomach said that this new place wouldn’t be an easy road either, and for some reason it scared her. The idea of making new friends in the whole new environment didn’t sit right with her—she was nervous.

"We’re here!!!" said the older sister eagerly, annoyingly squealing with so much noise.

"Yeah, great..." the limb landed heavily. She dreaded starting this day.

The whole scene was so warm and beautiful, just like the picture her sister had shown. Jeongyeon thought: the modern day prison.

It is a large and spacious piece of land with advanced facilities, which Jeongyeon did not have at her previous school. From where she was standing, the vision of a group of girls running around the field with determination flourishing in every sweat break showed that they were here with one purpose: to achieve the highest victory in youth.

Cypress Mastery Institute. Admission is by recommendation from the school (mostly scouted) and passing the high-stakes bar exam. The school is divided by academic and sports departments, both balancing each other. In short, school for elites.

"Do you like it?" her mother asked, a soft touch on her back. Her mother had the magic to calm the nerves that were storming inside her mind.

"It's perfect," said Jeongyeon, sounding almost convincingly like a kid afraid of being caught in white lies.

Her mother laughs in small tune.

"Well, its fine, you know, to feel scared on your first day," her mother said. Her eyes glowed brighter than the blue sky, evidence of amusement - she remembered the little girl who was too afraid to take the first step into her class. She had convinced the mother to stay behind and wait for her the whole day.

That girl is a grown up now.

But she still sees herself in little red shoes with long white socks, her short hair almost hidden by the red cap with her initial embodied in the middle - a short, adorable girl misidentified as a boy for the majority of her kindergarten day.

***

She reaches a bright room, empty and silent – only the sound of a printing machine making copies of Jeongyeon's could be assumed to be paperwork for the day.

There were papers everywhere, the whole stacks of them, and an expensive looking coffee maker neatly sitting in the corner of the room. There was even a flower arrangement at the centre of the room. The orchids bloomed so pretty with a languid pink colour.

The secretary's blue eyes glinted in a welcoming attitude, "I hope you’re the new student... pardon the mess. I know it's just the start, but I’m sure by the end of today I’ll be buried alive."

Jeongyeon stood in bewilderment; the person was so pretty with her blue eyes and slimy figure. She figured that the secretary would be a bossy old lady with huge daisies in her hair or a bald, sleepy looking man, but turned out to be so young and a cool one at that.

"Have a seat,"

"Yoo Jeongyeon, you're a forward from your previous school - that's awesome...Your grade wasn’t a joke either." Jeongyeon wasn’t sure how to acknowledge all the bullets of compliments.

She was saved by a knock on the door. A girl with white porcelain skin and dark hair that fell just above her shoulders stepped into the light. A small nod was exchanged between the two students as a greeting.

"Perfect timing Jeongyeon, this is your confidante for today. She will show you your room and get you accustomed to the place—as long as you need her too." She takes note of the informality used by the older woman.

"Meredith",

The girl introduces herself.

***

"So.. what’s your story?"

Jeongyeon wasn’t sure of what it meant.

It says here—recommendation by Ms. Sunmi. "

So that’s what it is all about—she released a breath she held earlier, "I didn’t know much, but she approached me saying that she wanted me to make her team and with the presented opportunity, I guess why not." They were on their way to the dorm room.

"She's been scouting almost around the world. Legends say that she made a diamond out of a stone." Meredith seems like a nice friend one could be acquainted with, but sadly enough, she's not going to be her classmate and far from her teammate.

The girl had set her eyes on being a political influence one day back in her town in Canada, which meant that she enrolled in the academic department, but on the bright side, she would entertain the blonde as her roommate for a year.

"Guess I was late on that news..." Jeongyeon likes the interaction between them. It's more like the dreaded feeling of making new friends who were never there in the first place. Meredith is a simple and kind person.

"This is our room." It's spacious for only two people. Meredith steps into the room and rests herself on her own, leaving Jeongyeon to scan the empty single bed.

"By the way, the classic keychain... So people still carry that around, huh?" Jeongyeon set down her sling bag on to the mattress. She too wondered why she had brought the little bear along when the rest of her stuff had been locked inside the dark closet back at her home.

It’s different – She thought. Her mind drifted to a certain face she couldn’t shake off. The mysterious feeling crept up inside her heart. "Guess I’m a er for old stuff."

"Well, I should get back to class... settle in! we are scheduled for a tour tonight... see ya." She winked.

***

She settled in just fine and everything was perfect and welcoming for her. Jeongyeon felt that she could blend in well with the rest. It was her third day, and she was called to practice for the first time. Meredith had accompanied her to the basketball court with the sole purpose of having a look at their practice. "I had nothing to do anyway” she said.

The room is filled with so many students, and they vary in hair colour and culture all around the world. Jeongyeon spotted a taller girl inside the court dribbling away gracefully. Her stance is perfect for a player; the balls barely hitting her palms bounce back with so much force, and she moves like wind passing through the jungle. Her movement seems shallow, but it was impressive for Jeongyeon.

She scored perfectly, and her opponent barely caught up with her.

"That is Chou Tzuyu. She’s from Taiwan..." and Jeongyeon takes a hard look at the said girl. She is indeed beautiful, but it wasn’t the first thing she acknowledged about the girl. She feels intrigued by the Taiwanese player because of her talent, and her beauty is just another plus for Jeongyeon. She knows when to appreciate a real talent before natural looks.

"Okay, show over... gather round," Ms. Sunmi told the students, unbothered by the whole scene. "Young blonde, come here!" she pointed at Jeongyeon to join them.

She had expected this from an elite school; should’ve been ready to start at any

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter