The Beautiful Prince

Rap-Jun-Zel

Junhee sighed as he watched the birds fly. In the distance he could see the tower he had to stay in when his hair grew. Sometimes when he looked at it, he prayed he didn't have to go there. It made him feel like a freak. Sighing again, he closed his window. The door opened and his mother walked in. 

"Morning darling'' she said kindly. The prince turned and faked a smile. 

Downstairs, the maids were serving breakfast. Toast, fruit and many other things were placed. Junhee's stomach growled. his lips, he took a slice of toast and took a huge bite. His mother giggled. 

"Son, not in front of the maids'' his dad said. Junhee nodded and ate more slowly, knowing full well the maids didn't care. He was mostly stared at. He was used to it. "Now, we have to plan for the summer ball next week'' the king continued. Junhee dropped the knife that he used to spread the jam. 

"W-what?'' he stuttered. 

"The summer ball you silly boy'' his father reminded him. The prince now felt full. He hated when his parents had large get togethers. The stares were bad enough but he also had to keep his magic hair a secret. 

 

"Quick, run!'' Sehyoon shouted. Byeongkwan was behind him. They were both starving and almost got caught stealing bread. "Crap, where's Yuchan?'' 

Byeongkwan turned to his the youngest of the group chatting up a group of girls. They were blushing and giggling. Sehyoon ran to him and pulled him away. 

"Yo, what the-'' the youngest began to say before the guards spotted them. 

"There, the thieves!'' they said. 

"Here we go again'' Byeongkwan mumbled. The three of them ran as fast as they could. Approaching their hideout, Yuchan made sure no one would follow. Climbing the ladder that led them to the attic in an abandoned werehouse, the three of them sat down, panting. Sehyoon broke the bread and shared it. Both Yuchan and Byeongkwan wolfed it down. 

"Hey, that has to last. I'm not going out anymore tonight'' Sehyoon said. Yuchan laid down. 

"Relax'' was all he said. Sehyoon sighed and looked out the small hole in the wall. He could see the palace in the distance. He wished he could stay there, even if it was just one night. He imagined all the food he could eat, the fancy clothes. All that sounded wonderful. 

"Things will get better'' Byeongkwan yawned as he too, laid down. Sehyoon looked at his best friends and hoped he was right. 

 

Junhee woke the next day when his mother burst in. She was smiling. The prince sat up and rubbed his eyes. He was having a good dream and wasn't pleased being awoken. 

"Mother, you are you-'' he paused when he felt his scalp tingle. Slowly, his hair began to grow. 

"Oh no! Quick dear, in the tower!'' his mother cried. Scooping up of his hair the best he could, the prince made a run for it, using the secret hallway he always used. It led him underground and running down the tunnel, he made it. By the time he entered the tower, his hair was already on the floor being dragged. Huffing in frustration, he locked the door, undressed and went into the bath he had put in on the bottom floor. Even though he was alone, he closed the curtain. As he washed his hair, tears ran down his face. 

"Why...why does this happen to me?'' he sobbed. Many years he asked, knowing the truth but wished it wasn't true. As his mother told him when he was a child. His great, great, great grandmother was a descendent of Rapunzel and somehow, Junhee had the same genes. His hair would magically grow once a month, fall out and do it all again. He didn't know how long he'd had this ability and worst of all, wondered if he was going to have it all his life.