A Label

Based On A True Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Juyeon, you really need to stop getting sick." That's the first thing Luda says upon arrival and first sight of the tall junior.

"Of course that's what you first say to me. Not even a hello?"

The senior rolls her eyes. "Hello, Juyeon. Stop getting sick."

They both turn their heads to a sudden squeal coming from Eunha. She's currently sitting on the floor, being jumped on by Eunbi's white puppy. "So you're Angkko! Nice to meet you, puppy!" The dog was initially cautious and even barked, but after a couple of sniffs, she could tell the human meant no harm.

Juyeon smiles at the happy sight, but then slightly frowns when she notices the way her best friend is smiling. Eunbi looks at Eunha as if she's the best thing that's ever happened to her; As if Eunha is the light of her day.

It hurt Juyeon in a way she didn't like. 

"I didn't realize how close your houses are to each other," Luda says, catching the younger's attention again.

"Yeah... I used to hang out here more than my own house when we were younger. Now... I'd say it's a fifty-fifty split," she jokes.

"Come eat first!" Eunbi calls out. "I ordered some fried chicken, spicy tteok, and kimbap." She notices Eunha's eyes sparkle at the sight of the food, so she adds, "I hope the spice is just enough."

"If you ordered it, I know it'll be perfect."

After a second, Luda clears to snap the two out of their moment, causing Juyeon to giggle. 

They had all arrived together from school, with Juyeon coming from her home after a shower and to grab the food delivery. Given her state of mind, she wasn't ecstatic to spend time with people, but she knows this is how her best friend is trying to help her.

"So over the break, I went to my grandma's house in the countryside. The dog gave birth! So many cute puppies!" Eunha squeals. "We went to the neighborhood water well where we get our water, and it was so funny, because there was one funnel that didn't quite fit in the bottle, so barely any went in!"

"Oh, you should tell Juyeon about the apples," Eunbi reminds her.

"Yeah, my relatives are friends with the owner of the apple orchard there. They let us take home the apples that fell on the ground due to the strong winds and rain recently. Eunbi told me your uncle has an orchard too?" 

The tallest forces a smile and nods. "He does. Not apples though, but tangerines."

"Tangerines? So Jeju?" Eunha deduces.

"That's where she went over the break," the other junior answers.

Turning to Juyeon, Luda smiles a knowing smile. "How was it? Last time I went to Jeju, I was still a kid so I don't really remember much."

"I didn't... get to do much. We were pretty busy with... business. Mainly my parents dragging me around, but it was fine. Just fine."

Eunbi pouts. "I still can't believe we've never gone together after all these years."

"Yeah..." Juyeon laughs awkwardly. Beneath the table, Luda puts her hand atop hers, knowing the truth behind her visit to Jeju. She keeps her hand still, and decides to switch topics. "Luda unnie, what did you do over the break?"

"I'm going to sound like a nerd."

"You already are," Eunha responds.

"Well... one of the things I did was build a  shelf."

"You built a shelf?!" The rest of them ask, surprised.

"Not like from scratch. I just designed one, did some measurements and calculations, and bought the metal pieces with glass panes," she shrugs nonchalant. "I did buy the wrong ones though, so I had to return it."

"Wow. I guess you got that part of you from your dad, huh." 

As their conversations go, and the food lessens, Eunbi notices Juyeon's behavior: the forced smiles, the short comments and reactions, and she won't look her way. 

The seniors leave first, saying they still have homework to do, and that Eunha's mother wanted her home already. 

"Get home safe. Don't stay up too late doing homework," Eunbi says after closing the car door. 

"Thanks for tonight, Eunbi and Juyeon." Luda waves from the other side, then turns and looks out her own window.

Eunha gestures for the junior to bend down. Once close enough, she plants a kiss right on Eunbi's cheek. The younger was never one for cheek kisses because it grossed her out, but this one made her cheeks flame. While stunned, Eunha laughs and rolls her window up, signaling Mr. Ko to start driving away.

Holding her cheek in her hand, Eunbi smiles shyly and makes her way back into the house. She finds her friend cleaning up the table, and even starts to wash the dishes.

"Juyeon, you don't have to do that."

"It's fine. It's only a few plates," she says seriously.

The room stays quiet as Eunbi scrolls through her phone, and the other finishes up and wipes her hands dry. Juyeon quietly stands in front of Eunbi on the couch. When the latter looks at her, she lets out a short sigh before asking, "Can we talk?"

"Of course we can."

"Outside? I kinda want to feel the cold."

After grabbing their coats, they make their way out to the backyard and sit on the bench. There's silence between them again as Eunbi waits for Juyeon to start, because she doesn't want to ruin the mood or interrupt her.

Juyeon had been preparing herself the whole night for this. She needs to tell Eunbi. She wants to. She's going to.

Until she decides last minute she won't.

"I'm not sure I'm ready to tell you what's going on yet. It's uhm... I'll need to be ready first."

"Of course. I would never want to force you." Eunbi gives her a small smile.

"We're best friends, right?" the taller asks, looking at nothing in particular.

"For years now, yes."

"So... How's it going with Eunha unnie? You haven't really talked about her."

Eunbi shrugs. "I try not to with you. I don't want you always hearing about her until you hate it, and I wouldn't want you to feel like all I talk about is her. What do you wanna know?"

"Was all that drama worth it?"

"I would have done the same for you. She's a good person. Whether we're friends or not, I'd say it's worth it."

"That is until you remember how bad your nose hurt," Juyeon teases. "You guys talk about it yet?"

"What?"

"Y'know... What are you two? You put a label on it yet?"

Eunbi flinches. She's thought about it before, but disliked the thought of conversing about it. Eunbi's still shy, believe it or not. "I'll... give it a little more time. If she asks first then great, but I don't think I can ask without feeling embarrassed." She shyly covers her face, knowing her cheeks are a little red.

"I bet she's going to ask tomorrow."

"I bet not."

"After how you two acted tonight, she totally will."

The smaller raises a brow. "How much are you betting?"

"Free yogurt drinks every lunch until winter break."

"And if she doesn't?"

Juyeon hums in thought and narrows her eyes. "What do you want?"

With no hesitation or stuttering, Eunbi says, "Confess to Luda unnie."

She blinks. "...what?" 

"I know you like her."

There's that smug little smirk on Eunbi's face that Juyeon knows she has no other choice but to just not say anything; No denying, accepting, or acknowledging. Instead, she puts out her pinky finger, and the other seals the deal.

"Let's go study for that quiz."

--

 

"Luda unnie H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter