A Thought

Based On A True Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Eunha picks the book up, a folded baby blue paper slips out from underneath. Her curiosity peaks as she picks it up to open it.

"How to spend your Tuesday? 
Well, tues(choose) to go out with me again today?"

 

How incredibly cheesy, she scoffs in her head. Closing her locker, she almost jumps out of her shoes when she sees Eunbi beside her, leaning on the lockers and looking in the distance. The older laughs at her attempt at looking cool, causing the other to blush and laugh in shame. 

"Was the pun too bad?" Eunbi scratches her head.

"Clever. It could've been worse," she scrunches her nose. "I would love to go out with you again."

The junior felt excited at first, but she could sense that there's a little more to her statement. 

"But?"

"But I promised I would help Luda with a project tonight." Eunha heaves that out with a heavy breath, with Eunbi being able to feel the regret in her voice. Eunha starts to pout and squeezes the stuffed bunny tighter.

"Nooo no no, unnie it's totally okay!" Eunbi panics. "I didn't think you would agree anyway, considering your busy schedule. And I understand! You promised, and it's good that you'll keep your promise to Luda unnie." She fails at getting her to stop pouting.

"Thank you though... for the bunny and the book. It's very sweet, Eunbi." She smiles that smile that never fails to make the younger look away and blush. "But when did you get the book?"

"I may have lied about leaving my wallet inside the cafe."

When they laugh together, Eunha begins to notice the multiple searing eyes on them from all directions. In an instant, she feels insecure of her whole being. Clearing , she whispers, "Walk me to my classroom?"

"Of course." Eunbi smiles brightly, and offers to hold the older's bag on the floor.

It wasn't any better on their way up. Heads turned, students murmured, gazes burned— and Eunbi's eyes never left Eunha. She even held the small of her back as they walked up the stairs, a safeguard for if she falls.

It isn't until the junior sees the senior president across the hall that her face and stance changes, guiding Eunha until they get to her classroom.

"Eunbi, you can put my bag down now." She tugs on the other's hem, breaking her out of her protective mode and bringing back smiley Hwang. "Where's Juyeon, by the way?"

"She's staying home for today. Said she isn't feeling too well."

"Oh. I guess class will be extra boring today, huh?"

Eunbi shrugs. "I can survive." She leans on the older's desk, and watches her play around with the stuffed bunny. "I read the first chapter of that book," pointing to the one she gave her.

"Really? What do you think of it so far?"

"It seems pretty interesting. I get why you would like it."

"I hope it's good," Eunha sighs. "I don't want it to be a waste of your money."

They turn their heads when they hear someone clear their throat at the side.

"Oh, hey Luda."

"Hi, unnie!"

She eyes the Eunbi's for a second then sets her bag down, a little surprised at their new dynamic. "Hello." A pause. "Hwang," she nods to the younger. "I see you've changed a lot over the weekend."

"I have?"

"Yeah. You don't look like a kicked puppy anymore."

Eunha laughs at that, fully knowing the reason why. The junior just chuckles shyly, hands awkwardly patting her sides. 

"Where's Juyeon?" Luda asks with full concern.

"She said she isn't feeling well so she's staying home."

"Oh." 

As the pair converse again, Luda takes her phone out and sends a message to the absent girl. 

U ok?

...

 

She watches the three dots appear but soon go away without a response to show up for it. 

The first bell rings, and she raises an eyebrow at the lovebirds by her awkwardly trying to say goodbye. 

First, finger guns. Second, a fist bump. Third, a pat on the arm. Luda's not sure if she's supposed to find it cute or cringe, but she's glad things are looking okay between them.

-

 

"Where's Juyeon when I need her," she groans mentally.

Luda had no idea this is what it is like to be a third-wheel. The subtle glances have turned into warm looks, shy grazes into gentle holding, and little exchanged words into full on conversations— of which she is left out on.

In the back of her head, she half wishes they were back in their crushing-from-a-distance phase. 

But with her never failing observant eyes, she can see her fellow senior hold herself back; a little hesitance in her actions. Sadly, Luda can't figure out the reasons just by looking.

"They're still friends after that?" Luda overhears from a student passing by. 

"You're still in their business?" she wanted to reply so bad. But that would stir up a scene none of them want.

So, she resorts to giving sharp looks to anyone that looks their way, and dealing with Eunbi's messy storytelling for the rest of lunch.

-


"My parents want me to move."

Juyeon's leg bounces in her distress. "They uhm, want to move closer to my uncle's farm and orchard. Said it's about time that they help him out with the business."

The other asks in a hushed voice, "Where to?"

She stays mum for a moment and continues to shake her leg, leaning her elbows on top of her thighs. Clenching her jaw, she says, "Jeju."

Luda wanted nothing more than to gasp in surprise. Jeju is far away. Too far. It may as well be another country for students like them. But she stays quiet, shaking her head once. "Do you know when?"

"Possibly start of second semester. Right  before winter break ends."

The junior demeanor at the moment is something Luda hasn't seen yet. With the dejected look on her face, the tired posture, and the sunken aura, Juyeon just doesn't  look like Juyeon right now.

And Luda doesn't know what to do.

Comfort her? How?

Tell her it's going to be okay?

Tell her to talk her parents out of it?

Devise a plan to get her to stay?

 

"Sunb— unnie. You don't have to say anything. I... just don't wanna be alone right now." She gives a sad smile, accompanied by hazy eyes. "But please...

 

Don't tell Eunbi."


Luda replays it in her head as she stands outside the tall girl's house. It's the first time she's seeing it with the sun still around, and it's adorable. You can see the years upon years of memories ingrained into the roof and walls. Juyeon probably spent all seventeen years of her life here. Now this... This is a real home.

She rings the doorbell, hoping it would be answered. A head peeks out the window, then she hears hasty footsteps.

"Luda unnie, what are you doing here?" Juyeon's surprised, but not not glad at the company. It's obvious the senior had just come from school based on her still wearing her uniform.

"I wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter