A Tremor

Based On A True Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Juyeon?"

Not letting a moment pass, the taller throws her arms around Eunbi, shaking as she sobs.

"Juyeon, what's going on?" She holds her just as tight, heart aching at the way she cried.

There was no answer.

Eunbi didn't expect an answer, anyway. She buries her face into her shoulder, rubbing her back gently to calm her. For a few minutes, the two stood there with the cold piercing their skin.

When her sobs had quited down a little, Eunbi pulls away slightly to cup her friend's face. "Let's head inside. You're burning right now." Juyeon sadly nods, keeping her eyes down. "Angkko, come on," she calls the puppy at her feet.

She lets the taller sit on her bed, throwing two blankets over her to help her shivers. Eunbi even puts Angkko on Juyeon's lap, knowing how much the latter loves the puppy. She sits on the floor in front of Juyeon, watching how her tears fell from her eyes onto the puppy's soft fur.

There are over a hundred questions she wants to ask, but she can't just dump them on her friend while she's in this state. She shifts to her knees, coming closer to dry Juyeon's face with a tissue.

Juyeon's hand comes up and weakly holds Eunbi's, stopping her actions. For the first time tonight, their gazes connected— soaked eyes staring into ones full of worry.

"I'm sorry..." Juyeon mutters, barely over a whisper. 

"Don't be." Eunbi smiles gently, the other's warm cheek with her thumb. "It's okay. I'm here." She sees Juyeon's lips quiver once more, making her want to cry as well. "Let's head to bed for now. You need rest."

Juyeon sniffles, and Eunbi takes that as a word of affirmation. After taking Angkko and putting her into her dog bed, Eunbi lays her friend down and fixes the blankets over her. She takes a step to head to the couch, but feels a tug at her shirt.

"Stay," Juyeon breathes out. "Please." 

With the pleading pitiful eyes, Eunbi had to stay.

"Okay... I'll stay."

 

Juyeon succumbed to sleep a few moments after she closed her eyes. Eunbi however, watched her breathe steadily, a contrast to how she was many minutes ago. 

Eunbi didn't mind the grip on the front of her hoodie. If Juyeon needed someone or something to cling onto, Eunbi will be there. 

-

 

Juyeon wakes up after the sun shines through the windows. The room had blackout curtains, but the light managed to slip through a crack into her face. 

She's alone.

8:46, the clock read. Angkko paws at the mattress at her side, wanting to get up. Picking the puppy up, she finds a sticky note on the collar.

"I asked your mom if you can stay home for today. I'm sorry I can't skip school too. Someone has to take notes for both of us :D"

Juyeon finally realizes she doesn't have her phone on her. Setting the puppy down, she goes out of Eunbi's room, knowing no one's home at the moment.

Rinsing her face with cold water, she stares at her reflection for a moment, seeing her eyes still a little red and puffy. She sighs, disappointed she has to wait the whole day until her friends get out of school. She turns around when she hears a whimper from behind. "Angkko... Wanna go for a walk?" The puppy jumps, excited at the word.

Stealing one of her best friend's hoodies and a cap, she puts Angkko into her harness and heads out. It's warmer this morning, and the sun is brightly shining.

Last night was terrible, she thinks. She had gotten home from their trip to Jeju, and the fact that she is leaving dawned on her once again. Juyeon had been indifferent and civil during their trip, but coming back made her remember it's real.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter