Two

Accidental Love on a Rainy Night

My flower shop now became a place where haunted me after what happened with that stranger that night. However, I tried to control my feeling and face with it.

It’s another rainy day. I haven’t got any client yet. I was sitting on my cashier desk and kept looking at people were passing my shop through the glass door.

As I felt so tired by waiting for nothing and sleepy by the long-hour rain, I lay my head on the desk and rested.

 

*Ting Ting* (belling ringing sound)

I got up all of a sudden by the sound of door ringing. I quickly stood up and bowed to welcome my first client. “Hello, welcome to Fairy Flower Shop!” after bowing, I raised up my face to look at the client. I felt familiar with the client. He was wearing dark blue suit. His eyes are a little brown. His noses are sharp. He is very tall and charming. He got soaked by the rain.

“Miss, can I take a shelter here a little bit?” he spoke to me and I snapped out of my thought.

“Oh, yes! Sure!” I hurriedly replied.

“Thank you!” he smiled to me and gave a little bow.

“Please have a seat!” I headed to him and guided him to sit on a coach.

“Ah, I’ll make it wet. I’ll just stand like this. Thank you!” he refused.

“No, it’s ok. Please sit on it!” I insisted so he sat down.

 “Then I’m going to work now.” I said then left to spray water for flowers.

 

*Asjusssssss* (sneezing sound)

He was sneezing a few times. I went to closet to see if there was something. I got a towel. I took it to him.

“Here you go! Wash your hair with this!”

“Thank you!” he smiled then received it from me. I went back to continue watering my flowers.

I felt somehow strange. He kept looking at me. I felt a little creepy so I asked him.

“Do you have anything with me?” I turned to ask him with serious face.

“I’d like to buy some flowers.” He replied then walked to me. He asked me about the best flower to give the girl for the first meeting so I recommended him between roses and lilies. He picked roses. I packed for him nicely. He looked so satisfied with it.

“I wish you good-luck on your date.” I wished him.

“Charge 10 times to the original price! I satisfied with your service so take the rest as tip.” He said while handing his credit card to me. I was so surprised by his 10 times offer. He looked so rich.

After finishing billing, he went back to sit on the couch, waiting for rain to stop. This time I was the one who kept looking at him. He looked so familiar with someone but I couldn’t think of whom. However, my attention on him was disturbed when someone violently opened the door and came in. It was Jonghyun’s older sister.

 

“Unnie…” I called her in fear because she looked so furious and in bad mood.

“You cheap girl, why have you done that to my brother? He has locked himself in the room, refusing to comeout and eat. He loves you so much. How could you break his heart like this? You’re really shameless.” Unnie slapped me. I burst out crying.

“I didn’t want it to happen either, Unnie. I love Jonghyun so much too. I feel sorry for him too.”

“You don’t have right to love him anymore. The slap just now is for Jonghyun and this one more slap is for my family’s fame.” Unnie was raising her hand, ready to slap me again but suddenly the young man who was taking shelter inside my shop entered to grab her hand on time.

“Who are you? Let go of my hand!” Unnie tried to release her hand from him. He let go of her hand.

“You shouldn’t use violence.” He said.

“You’ve no idea what this cheap girl did to my brother. She was supposed to get married with him in 3 months but like a week ago, she slept with other man right here in her shop. You see this girl is so shameless. We love her so much but she did something so cheap behind our back. If not my brother came to find her at her shop that morning, he wouldn’t find out the truth. The worst one she lied she was by a stranger. How evil she is!” Unnie told the young man about my ashamed story. I felt so hurt and shameful that I couldn’t hold my balance anymore. I fell on the floor. The young man worriedly sat down to pat my back.

“You’re so poisonous. Is this man the next client you’re going to drag to sleep with you? Fine! Do whatever you want but never come to my brother again. I warn you!” Unnie finished her warn then left the shop.

I felt so weak that I couldn’t have power to stand up by myself. The young man helped me to stand up and carried me to sit on the couch.

“Sorry to make you see and hear such unpleasant story.”

“It’s ok. I believe it’s not true.” He consoled me.

I looked at him and cried. “No, it’s true. I slept with other man in here and the next morning my boyfriend caught it. I’m a shameless girl but… but I was . I didn’t agree to sleep with that stranger by myself. He forced and me but nobody believes nor do feels pity for me even my own family. They accuse that I’m a liar and sleep with other man shamelessly even I’m being engaged.” I didn’t know why I told everything to him like this but I just hoped there would be someone who would believe me.

“Poor thing! I’m sorry to hear about your story. You’re innocent. Everybody shouldn’t treat you like that. I believe you and I believe that man has his reason to do that too. What will you do if you happen to meet him again?” he asked.

“I don’t want to meet him again. It was like a nightmare. I saved his life but he destroyed mine. This is not fair. I was begging him to spare me because I was going to get married with my beloved fiancé soon but he didn’t care. He violently and cruelly forced me to sleep with him. I’ll never forgive him.” I expressed all my anger to the young man. He somehow looked so sad to hear. He remained silent for a moment.

 

“What is your name? If you don’t mind, I’d like to be your regular client.” he suddenly changed the topic.

“I’m Haewon.” I replied.

“I’m Aron. Kwak Aron! I’m Korean-American. I was born and grown up in America but recently moved here to take care of my family’s business. Nice to meet you, Haewon.” He introduced himself to me.

“Nice to meet you too, Aron-shi and thanks for believing that I’m innocent.”

He gave me a soft smile. “If nobody believes you then remember you have me. Be strong! Everything will be alright… Ah it stopped raining now. Then I’m gonna go. Thanks for letting me taking a shelter here! I’ll come here again. Bye bye!” he said then left. I sent him off in front of the shop. I kept watching him until he left my eyes sight. I kept asking myself why this man is so kind and unconditionally believes my story? Even my family didn’t.

After having enough thinking about him, I went inside my shop and suddenly saw the roses he bought for his first date on the table near the couch. I rushed to grab it and left to find him but he was nowhere to find so I just kept the roses safe, waiting for him to come back and take it but until my closing hour, he didn’t appear. I decided to leave the roses in the shop then went back home.

-----

That night I kept thinking about that man who named Aron. He was so kind and gentle but somehow it was weird. The more I thought the more I felt uncompleted about something.

Now Jonghyun’s sister and maybe his whole family hate me so no matter how much I was worried about him, I just shouldn’t contact or go to meet him at this moment. Though I didn’t have intention to make it happen, after all I was wrong for not be able to protect myself. It was right that Jonghyun got angry with me and maybe our marriage would never be happened.

-----

Next day, I went to my shop as usual. It was raining like cat and dog again. There was no client and I was free since morning to evening again. I thought it was a waste to wait until closing hour so I decided to close before time. After finishing locking the door and was opening my umbrella to leave, there was someone ran to take a shelter in front of my shop.

 

“Aron-shi?” I exclaimed. He got soaked again. He looked at me with a smile.

“You closed already? I was going to ask for a shelter. I didn’t bring my umbrella with me again.” He said.

“Oh it’s raining so hard and I got no clients so I closed early today.” I replied. “Oh right, you forgot the flowers you bought yesterday. I kept it inside the shop. Wait here! I’m gonna go and get it for you.” I remembered about his forgotten flowers and was finding the key to lock to go inside to take it for him but he suddenly grabbed my hand. “No need to take it for me! Let’s say I gave it to you.” He said. I felt awkward and quickly released my hand from him.

 

“Have you eaten already? If you don’t mind, can I invite you for a dinner? There is a hot pot restaurant near here. It’ll be more delicious to eat under this cold weather.” He suddenly offered. I was about to reject but he interrupted. “It’s for letting me take a long shelter yesterday. Please give me an honor!” he added. I had no choice so I accepted his offer. We walked in the same umbrella to that restaurant.

 

He treated me too nice that it made me feel so unwell, like we only met twice and he already asked me out and took care for me like a girlfriend? Is this American style?..... he looks kind and good person but it’s still weird. He kept asking about my life, family and about that accident that night.

“So what will you do with the marriage with your fiancé?” he asked.

I sighed. “Hmm it’s not gonna happen, I think. Look, it’s so crazy. Why would I tell you about this shameful story? I’m sorry. I’m gonna go. Thanks for the treat!” I couldn’t face with his questions anymore so I asked to leave first. I didn’t turn even he was trying to call me. I ran back to my rent house.

 

I couldn’t stop crying when I arrived at my room. I felt so hurt to think about being rejected by Jonghyun. Maybe if I could prove I was innocent, Jonghyun would forgive me?... But I had no clue about that guy so how could I find him and sue him? How could I proof I’m innocent?..... This is too much for me. I’m really afraid of how to face when I meet Jonghyun next time.

-----