5 | Expectations & Reality

Bride of the Virtuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Perception is not reality. Even salt looks like sugar."
—Anonymous

 

Fifteen days, 10 hours, 43 minutes, and 26 seconds—this was how long Byun Baekhyun had been married to Seo Ara since he last looked at the clock. This was also the length of time it took to finish all the renovations to their newlywed apartment.

 

His wife had been staying at the Byun mansion while he mainly lived at work, using the week-long Woori Financial Group conference their hotel was accommodating, as an excuse to avoid spending time with her.

 

Since tying the knot, he had managed to maintain his daily routine and overall life style, including several rendezvous with a much calmer Chaeyoung—but that all ended last week.

 

Urged—or rather, forced—by his grandfather, Baekhyun had been taking his wife on multiple dates every day for the last seven days. It was a constant task that demanded so much from him, like having to take a dog on its daily walks, rain or shine.

 

So far, they had seen three romantic movies. They had dined in at least 25 different hole-in-the-wall restaurants, where she refused to drink a single alcoholic beverage. They had picnics at the park. They had met up for coffee on multiple occasions. They had shopped for books and furniture. And they had taken a stroll along the same path on the Han River more times than he could count with his fingers. Overall, they had done everything and all things that bored him.

 

Baekhyun saw spending his days with Ara as a great waste of time. The more he was with her, the more he started to wonder if the marriage was worth his sanity. Nothing—absolutely nothing—about her excited him.

 

Though she was irrefutably attractive with her long dark locks, beautiful small face, big eyes, plump lips, glass-like skin, and a temping S-line, he found her repulsive. The way she dresses was too innocent, too covered, too plain for his taste. Her responses to their short conversations were always lackluster. Her hobbies and interest weren't worth noting. And her level of modesty and purity were on par with a devout nun.

 

Ultimately, Seo Ara was just too simple. Too naïve. Too dull.

 

Baekhyun was fed up with her mellow voice. He hated her constant "please and thank you". He was annoyed with her conservative smiles and quiet laughs. Most of all, he despised that stupid high ponytail always swaying behind her while they walked.

 

It had been an exhausting hellish week.

 

But finally.

 

His dose of freedom had arrived.

 

Today was the day the two of them would move out of the Byun's main residence to live on their own, away from his grandfather's hawk-like eyes and frequent incontestable demands. 

 

|| …………… ||

 

The white Maserati passed the gated driveway of the contemporary mansion and made its way uphill, stopping in front of the main entrance where Ara was patiently waiting on the concrete steps. She had on an oversized mustard cardigan, a neatly tucked in plain cream blouse, mid-length floral skirt, and tan oxfords, along with her usual hairstyle. It was a getup too old for her age.

 

At the sight of her, Baekhyun released a disappointed sigh. "How much plainer can this girl be?" he commented as he put the gear into park and exited his vehicle.

 

"You're early," Ara greeted nicely with a soft smile.

 

"Yeah, I finished work early," he lied as he made his way over, avoiding her gullible gaze. He actually left early on purpose—because he was itching to acquire the long awaited

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter