14 | Conquest & Curiosities

Bride of the Virtuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Don't take every challenge as a problem, take every problem as a challenge."

— Anonymous

 

"Wait. So what you're saying…is that you completely missed the mark, and contrary to your initial verdict, your wife doesn't have an ounce of innocence in her?" Kim Jongdae clarified with an amused grin. For the past fifteen minutes, he and Zhang Yixing had been listening to their friend complain about the stranger that became the next Mrs. Byun, and waiting for him to stop tiptoeing around what really mattered: admittance.

 

It brought them great satisfaction when the heir to BYN Group eventually admitted to the error in his flawless judgment—a small gesture that confirmed Byun Baekhyun was not as perfect as he seemed.

 

With the images of Ara running around in his mind, Baekhyun released a heavy breath and shook his head in annoyance. He couldn't help but feel frustrated by how that cunning woman tainted his impeccable record—and did so with ease—but Yixing's wise words soon brought him a newfound spark of interest.

 

"But isn't that what you wanted? Someone you can conquer?" the Zhang Industries' CEO commented as he poured another glass of Jack Daniel's.

 

"A new conquest, huh?" Baekhyun repeated, almost to himself. Setting his eyes on the packed dance floor below, he draped an arm around the cushioned velvet seat and summoned a devilish smirk. "I think I might just—" he started, but the son of the entertainment mogul interrupted him.

 

"Ho. Ly. . That one is mine tonight," Jongdae announced with pure determination, his rounded gaze pinned to the woman emerging from the angled staircase that connected to the first floor.

 

Curious, the other two turned their attention to where their friend's eyes were suddenly glued to. For Kim Jongdae to say those words in the manner that he did, the individual that caught his hawk-like eyesight must have been a real looker.

 

Sure enough, she was.

 

The raven haired beauty walking alongside Go Chaeyoung was top tier in their books. The fairest amongst maidens. The goddess amongst queens. She had fair skin, cat-like eyes, crimson lips, and a small face framed by her long, dark, and luscious wavy locks. She wore a solid black dress that hugged all the right curves of her hourglass figure—one that accentuated her ample , small waist, and well-rounded hips. To top it off, her long slender legs were made even more eye-catching by the matching black, five-inch, pointed stilettos that cradled her narrow feet.

 

"Holy indeed," Yixing mumbled. While his eyes followed every step the woman took towards them, Baekhyun simply stared in disbelief, completely robbed of words.

 

First to break from their trance, Jongdae quickly switched his gaze to the birthday girl and sprang to his feet the moment the two women arrived at their table. "Back from the dance floor, I see," he commented before settling his interested eyes back on the attractive stranger. "And who might this gorgeous lady be?" he asked, flashing an alluring grin.

 

"Just taking a short break. But this…" Chaeyoung answered as she took Ara into a side hug, "is my ever so evasive best friend, Seo Ara."

 

"A beautiful name for a beautiful woman," the executive director of JP Production stated as he broadened his smile. "I'm Kim Jongdae, and before you say anything, the pleasure is all mine," he continued, making Ara mentally chuckle at how archaic his flirting style was.

 

Nevertheless, she returned a relaxed greeting and a friendly smile before letting her unruffled eyes land on her silenced husband. She summoned a wider, false grin and held his gaze. She could easily tell that the turn of events came as an unexpected surprise to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter