45 | Love & Acceptance

Bride of the Virtuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"And in the middle of my chaos, there was you."
— Anonymous

 

With the smile on her face slowly fading, Seo Ara felt her cheeks burn and her heart race like never before. "Baekhyun…" she called softly, his name the first and only thought trickling to the tip of her tongue.

 

Realizing what just flowed freely through his lips, Baekhyun also felt an explosion of blood rush throughout his entire body—like a clam that had burst open.

 

His subconscious feelings were never meant to escape, but truth be told, he was glad it did when it did and in the way that it happened—because in that moment, it reflected his raw emotions. Without filter. Without reservations. Just the truth and sincerity.

 

"Uh…" he began, alternating between embarrassed chuckles and barely controllable grins. "We should—um—we should go," he suggested, unable to look back at his silenced wife, whose rounded eyes remained glued to him. Without waiting for a response nor her next reaction, Baekhyun lowered his head to hide the widening curve on his lips and casually went on his way.

 

Ara's smile slowly returned as she watched him trek up the low sloping hill. Whether his words were meant to be a confession or just thoughts accidentally said aloud, it was near impossible to deny the feelings they left her with—these feelings of shyness, of surprising happiness, and overwhelming warmth.

 

|| Nine Days Later: Chuam Beach ||

 

Min Jung stared at her reflection in the ceiling to floor mirror of her small bridal suite. She wore a simple white wedding dress that fell mid-shin, low white block heels, a baby's breath flower crown, and a radiant smile that gradually became coated with melancholy.

 

As a child, she had always dreamed of a lavish wedding. She dreamed of a long-sleeved ballgown studded with lace appliques and a cathedral veil held up by a diamond encrusted tiara. She dreamed of a large bridal bouquet of assorted flowers and a long bed of rose petals that led to the altar. She dreamed of a Parisian style venue with high ceilings and crystal chandeliers. Of a seven course Michelin star meal to serve her 300 plus guests. Of towering gifts and endless congratulations.

 

And though none of those mattered now—though she was genuinely happy with the simple ceremony and reception she and Kyungsoo prepared for their one, turned two, turned fifteen guests—there was one thing she wished would've come true.

 

Like any little girl, she dreamed of the day her father would proudly walk her down the aisle. She dreamed of him giving her hand away to the man who loves her unconditionally. Of him offering his heartfelt blessings. Of him watching with happy tears as she vows forever with the person who held her heart.

 

Breaking from her reflection, Min Jung lowered her gaze, her light brown eyes now glistening with tears. The thought of her father and the memory of their last conversation was just too much to bear on this day.

 

"Min Jung. Min Jung. Lee Min J—" Ara exclaimed as she pushed open the white flush door, but one glimpse of her stepsister's tearful expression cut her greeting short.

 

"Unni, you're here," Min Jung replied as she blinked the waterworks away and summoned a weak smile, "Where's Baekhyun oppa?"

 

"He…unfortunately won't be able to make it. He's currently away on a business trip and won't be back for another couple of days," Ara answered apologetically as she approached the young bride. Baekhyun had to leave for Hong Kong right after his accidental confession to replace a BYN Group's representative handling the hospitality giant's new venture, and due to a contract dispute between the parties involved, his return flight was pushed back another week.

 

Min Jung pursed her lips at the news and nodded lightly. "I see…" she breathed out. Though she was upset an honored guest couldn't join her and Kyungsoo on their day, it was evident in her stepsister's demeanor that the young wife was more disappointed about her husband's absence.

 

"But changing the topic…are you okay?" Ara asked, redirecting the conversation back to the suppressed tears she accidentally witnessed.

 

Surprised by her question, the unprepared bride took a second-long pause to compose herself before nodding. "Just nervous," she lied, accompanied with a forced chuckle.  

 

Ara felt her lips curve into a sympathetic smile. She knew the tears in Min Jung's eyes weren't caused by just wedding jitters. Rather, it was related to her late father and the longing for his presence on such a special day. This, Ara was certain of—for she, too, once dreamed of the same.

 

Taking a gamble, she released a quiet breath and dug into her purse. "Here," she began as she handed her stepsister a plain envelope and broadened her smile, "a small present from the person you wanted the most to be here."

 

Of course, Ara knew she was risking a sobbing bride by choosing to do this now, but she couldn't think of a more perfect timing to do so.

 

Min Jung lowered her questioning yet anxious gaze to the small packet in her possession and with hesitant fingers, took out the thin stack of folded paper and opened it carefully.

 

Sure enough, the moment she laid eyes on the contents of the document—on the loving words and sincere apology her father had left her—the tears she barely managed to stop, resumed, falling like waterfalls down her rosy cheeks.

 

"The original copy is still with the authorities, but I thought this will help put you at ease…especially today of all days," Ara explained as she softened the curve of her lips, "Your dad loved you the most Min Jung, and he wishes nothing but the best for you and your growing family."

 

With those words, the heavily pregnant bride broke out into a loud wail. "Unni…" she cried in between sobs and waddled into her stepsister's arms for comfort.

 

But just as the lovely woman alternated between brushing her head and patting her back, the door opened, revealing an individual they weren't expecting to be there.

 

"Baekhyun…" Ara called softly, her eyes locked on the spellbinding figure entering the room. A sudden burst of excitement had travelled from her heart to her head, stomach, fingers, and toes at the sight of him—and it came as a complete surprise. It never dawned on her, until this very moment, that she could miss and had missed his presence so much.

 

"Uh…" Baekhyun replied, still taken aback by the scene he walked in on. He knew weddings often called for tears, but he didn't think they would be flowing this early in the day. "Should I come back later?" he offered, almost certain leaving the room would be ideal for all three of them, especially for him and the bawling woman.

 

But before he could even think about taking a step back, Min Jung freed herself from Ara's soothing embrace and wiped the flood from her face. "No, that's alright. Please stay," she instructed with quiet sniffles.

 

Though hesitant, the former Lothario nodded lightly and without protest, then calmly walked over to them.

 

And as he did so, Ara found her heart gradually pounding louder and harder inside her chest, her cheeks quickly burning from the sudden rush of blood. She knew, from the very start, that her husband was a looker—but seeing him in his three-piece light gray windowpane suit with his hair swept up and parted, topped with that overflowing charisma, he was simply…

 

Hypnotizing.

 

Was he always this handsome? She wondered, her dilated pupils locked on the approaching man.

 

"What—what are you doing here?" she struggled to ask, still blinded by the epitome of charisma now standing before her. Her physical responses to seeing him were all so baffling. So out of character. So…unlike her. And despite the countless years of training under her belt, she felt as if she lacked control of her emotions and the ability to keep her composure.

 

"For my sister-in-law's wedding, of course," her husband answered casually with a half-smirk, half-grin—an expression that summoned a second wave of the same heart-racing-cheeks-blushing reaction she went through not even five minutes ago.

 

"But more importantly, for this," Baekhyun added right after. Peeling his eyes away from his wife's magnetic gaze, he glanced at the letter in Min Jung's hand then pulled out a small black box from his suit pocket. "It will most likely make your tears worse, but I feel like there isn't a more suitable time to do this than now," he continued as he handed the gift over to the curious bride, "I was asked to give this to you."

 

With the mystery box in her possession, Min Jung carefully removed the lid just as she handled her father's letter. And sure enough, her eyes swelled with tears the moment those light brown lenses landed on the single stone alexandrite necklace she used to beg her mom to let her wear. "But how…?" she asked as she held Baekhyun's gaze—this time, with two continuous streams once again cascading down both of her cheeks.

 

Her stepsister's husband responded with a genial smile. "I recently met up with Secretary Son," he explained, referring to the man who dedicated more than four decades of his life serving Lee Byung Chul before Da Ye's arrival.

 

"Before your father passed, he gave Secretary Son your mother's most treasured possession for safe keeping, and asked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter