42 | Pure & Simple

Bride of the Virtuous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary."
— Paulo Coelho

 

Byun Baekhyun grimaced at the tranquil yet empty landscape that filled his vision from left to right. He had driven almost three hours northeast to a small town near Hajodae Beach in Yangyang, and though he knew their destination paled in comparison to the comforts and luxuries of Gangnam—as many rural, off-the-grid places did—he never expected it to be the most appalling of them all.

 

In front him was a portion of the Sea of Japan dominated by local smalltime fishermen and one that was rarely, if ever, visited by tourists. This pathetic beach that expanded into the horizon offered no fun, adventure, nor excitement, and for lack of a better word, it was simply an eyesore.

 

"For Ara. It's for Ara," he recited under his breath followed by a hefty sigh before exiting his car.

 

Leaving the security of his Maserati, Baekhyun made his way around the hood and stood next to his silent wife. She had both hands tucked in her cardigan's side pockets, her peaceful gaze and soft smile directed towards the calm waves gently crashing against the shore.

 

There was a halo of serenity surrounding her, but for him, every second was pure torture. The salty breeze, the sandy shore, the fishing boats, and near empty food stalls—the very sight of them all made his stomach churn, his head spin in circles, and his chest tighten.

 

Pushing past the discomfort, Baekhyun cleared his throat. "How can anyone survive out here? There's absolutely nothing," he commented, adjusting his aviator glasses to hide his irate pupils.

 

"Are you asking because it lacks bank-breaking fashion stores, Michelin star restaurants, fully stocked bars, and scantily dressed women you're so used to seeing?" Ara teased as she turned to her silver-spooned husband with a playful smirk.

 

Baekhyun returned a false grin. "Well, what is there to life if you can't enjoy the fine materialistic indulgences this world has to offer?" he countered, trying to keep his tone and composure steady. "I mean look at this place," he added, his voice lined with subtle annoyance, "it's so plain. So empty. So…dead."  

 

"There it is again," Ara replied calmly, looping back to her memories of their first few days as husband and wife, "You and simplicity."

 

Caught off guard by her words, Baekhyun instinctively switched his shielded gaze to her and tilted his head in question. He was pretending to be oblivious of what she was referring to, but even with the dark shades covering his eyes and the composed demeanor he was barely keeping up, nothing could get past the observant woman standing to his right.

 

"Why Baekhyun?" Ara continued, her attitude more serious and muted, "Why do you harbor such hatred for the simple things?"

 

"Why?" her husband subconsciously repeated before breaking from her questioning lenses and turning his own to the vast horizon.

 

And as his mind recollected the events from that year he thought he had all forgotten, Baekhyun felt the tightness in his chest worsen—but not wanting the past to catch up to his present, he swallowed the pain, clenched his jaws, and once again rid himself of those memories that still remained so vivid.  

 

Having gained control of his emotions, he glanced at Ara and summoned a weak smile. "Cause. Just cause," he answered before returning to his car.

 

|| …………… ||

 

Leaving Baekhyun's answer as it was, the two had driven further into the rural area to look for a house that Ara vaguely remembered. And after going around for some time, they finally stopped in front of a small concrete residence that matched her rough descriptions.

 

"Excuse me," Ara called politely to the person on the ground rinsing a basin full of napa cabbages. She was almost certain this was the place she lived in for under five years, but then again, it was hard to trust the fragmented memories of her four-year-old self.

 

Taking a break from her kimchi making process, the middle-aged woman sprang to her feet and dried her hands on the apron around her waist. "How may I help you?" she asked with a kind smile.

 

"I'm really sorry to bother you. I'm looking for Ok Jung Sook—" Ara continued, returning a similar gesture. But at the mention of that name, the woman's face became stone cold.

 

"Who's asking?" she interrupted with a defensive tone, the welcoming expression no longer visible in her now frosty eyes.

 

A little surprised, Ara glanced back at Baekhyun, who was more than ready to step in despite having no idea who his wife was referring to.

 

With a silent breath Ara turned back around, retaining the slight curve on her lips. "Um, my name is Seo Ara and—" she began, but the woman once again interjected—this time, with a look of disbelief.  

 

"Seo…Ara? Ara?" she called with some familiarity, the friendly smile she had on previously gradually returning.

 

Ara nodded while trying to remember any other detail she could dig up about the people in this town. "And I'm guessing you're…Ok…Bong…Soon?" she asked hesitantly.  

 

The woman responded in a similar manner and let her faint smile transform into an ear-to-ear grin. "Yes, that's right. I am," she clarified, followed by heavy breath as she scanned Ara from head to toe, "My, I never thought I'd ever get to see you in the flesh."

 

"Likewise," Ara replied, matching the woman's expression.

 

|| …………… ||

 

"About mom," Bong Soon started as she served her unexpected guests a cup of plum tea. "I don't think today is possible, but you can definitely see her tomorrow," she continued, taking the seat across from them, "Given the distance you've traveled to get here, you're more than welcome to stay the night."

 

"Oh no, that's okay. We don't mean to intrude more than we already have," Ara refused, already guilty for stopping by unannounced.

 

"Not at all! I have a spare room—" the woman countered, but the man who hadn't yet been introduced interjected politely.

 

"If it's really no trouble, we'd like to stay the night," Baekhyun stated. He had booked a hotel in the closest city some 30 minutes away, but the sparkle in Bong Soon's lenses told him she really wanted Ara to stay. So, taking it as a possible opportunity to learn more about his wife, he gladly accepted her kind offer without a second thought.

 

Shifting her gaze to the stranger in front of her, Bong Soon stared at Baekhyun in question and asked with her dark hooded eyes just who he was. 

 

"Ah!" Ara butted in, reeling in the woman's curious eyes back to her, "This is my husband Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun."

 

Bong Soon nodded and pressed her lips together with the corners curved upwards. Not only was the man strikingly handsome, he also had quite remarkable intuition—one that was strong enough to catch her desire to spend some time with the individual she'd only heard stories of until now. "Oh, you got a good one," she commented with a smirk.

 

Flashing a rather proud smile, Ara glanced at Baekhyun. "I did, didn't I?" she replied.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter