The Emerald City

Compensate

 

”Chou Tzuyu!” 

 

A loud, booming voice echoed through the peaceful flat jerking everyone away from dreamland. I reached out to my side only to find it empty. I instantly sat up from the bed, looking for Mina. 

 

”Minari?” 

 

”In the washroom, Chaeng.” I sighed in relief before I hurriedly tried to fix my appearance. 

 

”We should probably check who that was.” 

 

I nodded and followed her out of the room to see the cause of the commotion. Mina stopped dead in her tracks, taken aback. I glanced at what caught her attention. There I see a dishevelled Sana coming out of the master bedroom after a more decent looking Tzuyu. 

 

Mina and I exchanged a confused yet knowing look between us.

 

A short-haired brunette sat across Tzuyu in the living room. The latter looked up at us making the brunette turn her head as well. 

 

”Hey, guys good morning, this is my manager J-” 

 

The woman stood up and introduced herself ”Park Jihyo, a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” 

 

We briefly introduced ourselves as well before Mina asked Tzuyu where Sana is. 

 

”In the kitchen, I’ll be there in a sec. I simply need to speak with that one.” Tzuyu made a face behind her manager’s back. 

 

Mina and I made our way to the kitchen, finding Sana busy behind the counter. 

 

”Good morning Satang” 

 

The redhead smiled and offered us coffee. ”Would you guys mind helping me to prepare the breakfast?” 

 

”Not at all.” 

 

The three of us worked in silence for a while until I decided to poke fun at Sana. ”So, Tzuyu huh” 

 

”What about her?” Sana kept her eyes trained on the carrots she’s dicing.

 

”Oh come on Sana, you just came out of her room looking ed-up. I am also 100% sure that the shirt you’re wearing right now is hers and not one of those clothes she keeps around for guests because that’s a gift from me.” 

 

Sana’s cheeks turned a deep shade of red, suddenly feeling shy. She took the chopped vegetables with her to the stove leaving me as she tossed them in haphazardly with the eggs.

 

”What are you guys cooking up in here?” 

 

Tzuyu strolled into the kitchen and lifted the cover off of the rice cooker.

 

”That’s congee darling.” 

 

Sana absentmindedly responded to Tzuyu while still busying herself with cooking the omelette. 

 

Mina pouted and softly said to herself. ”I thought I was darling.

 

I left the fruits on the cutting board to drag Tzuyu away from Sana’s earshot.

 

”Something happened with you two last night”

 

Tzuyu stared at me confused. ”and?” 

 

I kept opening and closing my mouth, trying to get the words out of my mouth. Tzuyu chuckled and patted me on the back. ”Let’s eat, I’m starving.” 

 

starving. you probably already had Japanese for breakfast

 

We went back into the kitchen sitting beside Sana and Mina respectively.

 

”How was your sleep, Mina?” 

 

”It was nice, thank you.” Mina replied while bathing her omelette in ketchup. ”How about you Tzuyu? I hope my friend here didn’t keep you up all night last night.” 

 

Sana started coughing and reached for her orange juice. Tzuyu tried to soothe her by rubbing her back. 

 

”Sana tends to sleepwalk and do weird things in her sleep sometimes ’s all.” 

 

”Oh that didn’t happen, no.” 

 

Mina replied with a content hum, smirking to herself. 

 

”FOOD” 

 

Momo came running in with Jihyo behind her, the latter shaking her head. Momo sat down beside Mina and Jihyo beside Tzuyu. 

 

”Get a glass of water first, Momoring.” Mina reminded Momo before she could get food on her plate. 

 

Chaeyoung struck up a conversation with Jihyo. ”How’s working with Tzuyu? Is she giving you a hard time?” 

 

”she’s giving me a hard time” Tzuyu murmured under her breath earning her a pinch to the side from her manager. 

 

Jihyo innocently smiled at us, ”She’s a doll to work with.” 

 

Tzuyu began to pester Jihyo with Momo who is already downing her second bowl of congee. How? I don’t even know. Jihyo couldn't do anything but sit through the two annoying her. 

 

We finished breakfast and decided to head back to the hotel to freshen up before we go out to the city. Tzuyu dropped us off but would come back when we’re ready. She had to take care of a business matter with Jihyo and Momo not far from our hotel.

 

I showered first and dressed in a brown halter top tucked in white shorts and a white long-sleeved shirt to cover up with. 

 

Mina went in next and called in Sana to help her with tying her dress before she went out. Mina’s wearing a long maroon summer dress that was tied in x’s at the back. 

 

Lastly, Sana, who really took her time in the lavatory doing God knows what. She chose to dress casual and simple today wearing a light blue striped sleeved crop top, exposing her midriff and high-waist blue shorts to pair it with. 

 

Tzuyu texted saying they were back not long after Sana finished her makeup. I took my camera hanging the strap around my neck and grabbed my Panama hat before heading out. 

 

Momo and Jihyo greeted us as we got into Tzuyu’s Model X saying that they both had nothing else better to do right now so might as well come along Sydney and enjoy the clear sky. We drove down to Bondi beach, a 12-minute journey to get to Australia’s most popular beach. 

 

The sand was already packed with families enjoying the water, couples snogging under beach umbrellas, group of friends playing volleyball, and the never-ending rows of people looking like crab sticks. 

 

We aren’t here to partake in any of the said activities, rather we’re really just here for the sake of saying that the tourists among us have been to this famed place. 

 

So instead of standing around under the sun, we decided to check the shops across the street. There’s a handful of food stores, retail outlets, and swimming essentials shops along Campbell Parade. 

 

While walking we stopped by Yogurberry for Sana, Ben and Jerry’s for Momo, and Gelatissimo for Mina and Jihyo. Tzuyu and I didn’t get anything because of a. Momo told her that she can't, and b. I’m not big on sweets. 

 

We didn’t stay long, it was impossibly hot and I know how Tzuyu isn’t much of a fan of that. Tzuyu took us to Darling Harbour for lunch. A restaurant overlooking the water and one we frequented as kids. The food tasted divine and I definitely felt the nostalgia hitting the right spots.

 

We got to know more about Jihyo, and I got to know more about Momo. 

 

Jihyo’s young, younger than both Momo and Sana and just a month older than Mina, but she’s exceptionally responsible and hardworking. She takes good care of Tzuyu, I can tell. She’s capable of getting to Tzuyu and having her open up. That’s a talent only a few posses. 

 

She’s also very loud, literally. The total opposite of how Mina speaks, it is as if Jihyo swallowed a megaphone.

 

Momo, on the other hand, can also be very loud, but through her actions. She’s active, but not as active as Sana. She can be quiet now, but will suddenly bust a move out of nowhere. Momo is also very funny, it’s easy to see why she’s Sana’s friend. They’re like two peas in a pod. Two excited puppies that adopted a quiet little kitten and that is Mina. 

 

The three of them are like the We Bare Bears. Momo is Grizz, Sana is Panpan, and Mina is Ice Bear. Momo and Sana bring out Mina’s quirky side. She goes out of her shell and joins whatever crazy plan the other two has concocted. Being the youngest among the three I can see that she looks up to the other Japanese girls, and they take care of her in turn. 

 

Tzuyu and I once had another member in our small group of friends. It wasn’t always just the two of us, there used to be three, but things happen. People come and go and we can't force them to stay. So we let them be and we move on. 

 

We got back to our hotel at 4 in the afternoon. Tzuyu had work to do with Jihyo and Momo had a class to do in her gym. Sana collapsed on the bed once we got into the room, not even bothering to change before she hit the sack. 

 

I decided to get some shut-eye as well. I don’t know why but I already feel tired for tomorrow. I can already feel the adrenaline and excitement. Something tells me that this week is just about to begin. 

 

 

------------

 

 

Today’s the day of the exhibit. Ever since she woke up at the break of dawn, Chaeyoung has been antsy and quiet. She would only give terse answers when talked to. 

 

Sana gave Chaeyoung her sketchbook and drawing materials to hopefully distract the younger girl. It worked for a while and we both got to sleep a little more, but a loud crash woke us up again. Chaeyoung is now sat on the floor, her sketchbook discarded to the side, looking up at the tv screen, watching a rerun of Grey’s Anatomy Season 5. 

 

”Why are you watching that at” I check my phone for the time ”6 in the morning.”

 

Without peeling her eyes off of the television Chaeyoung promptly replied, ”It’s exciting so it distracts me. It calms me down.”

 

”How does seeing people slice other people open calm you down?” Sana got up from the bed and sat next to the small girl sat on the carpet. 

 

”I’m mainly watching for Chyler Leigh.” 

 

As if on cue, a scene showing Mark Sloan half- with Lexie Grey discussing their age in Meredith’s attic popped on tv. Chaeyoung dramatically sighed when Lexie grinned after confessing that she’s actually a year younger than what Mark thought her to be. 

 

About an hour later I decided to shower first since it looked like neither of the two had any plans to get up. Sana went in next, and she came out surprisingly fast. It’s a new record low for her, 25 minutes. 

 

Chaeyoung’s the one who took her time in the bathroom this time. 

 

”She’s having a moment.” 

 

I didn’t quite understand what Sana meant by that and I didn't get to ask her because Chaeyoung already got out of the shower. 

 

We were out the streets yet again heading to the museum Chaeyoung and I went to the other day. Early morning rush in Sydney is a far cry from how hectic Melbourne gets.

 

Tons of people were already going inside the museum and a lot of them apparently knew Chaeyoung, most of them merely waving to say hello but some approached to hug her. Sana and I stayed to the side as to not bother what seems to be a reunion party for the little artist. 

 

”Someone’s famous.” Sana teased with a nudge to Chaeyoung’s side once we got inside the hall and no one else tried to get a hold of Chaeyoung.

 

Chaeyoung rubbed the back of her head and let out a small chuckle. ”It comes with the name.” 

 

A middle-aged Asian man with a clean-cut hairstyle wearing a crisp, Harris Tweed jacket over a turtleneck cleared his throat behind the podium. Everyone quieted down and faced him. One thing noticeable about this man is that he radiated power and authority, but it wasn’t overbearing. 

 

A short welcome speech was delivered and the artists who participated were named one by one and asked to present themselves in front. Chaeyoung was called last, a round of applause met her as she stood there. 

 

Everyone then started to walk around the gallery, enjoying the artworks on display. 

 

”You can go around too, I’ll just stay here.” 

 

We left Chaeyoung to let her entertain the curious patrons. Wheein wasn’t kidding when she said that she’ll put Chaeyoung in the very centre of it all. The paintings surrounding Chaeyoung’s greatly complemented hers. Wheein did a great job in making her work stand out. 

 

White walls filled with artworks created a maze of colours and images. Feelings and expressions brought out for it to take shape beautifully, each one original and inimitable. From oil on canvas to wood carvings, from realism to surrealism, the hall is filled by varying types and styles of art. 

 

People looked in wonder and appreciation for each one. Friends, colleagues, and family members coming together to support the artist in their midst. Everyone looked like as if they were part of a tight-knit community where they all knew each other. 

 

”Tzuyu!” 

 

The Taiwanese turned her attention from a painting to Sana who called her name.

 

”Hi guys! Are you having fun around here?”

 

Sana shrugged, ”Eh better now that you’re here.” 

 

Tzuyu said that Chaeyoung’s looking for me before she indulged my friend by dragging her somewhere else, leaving me alone. I walked back to where Chaeyoung is as requested. 

 

A tall girl, though not as tall as Tzuyu, was talking to Chaeyoung very animatedly. They seemed to be close, like old friends reuniting. Chaeyoung’s face lit up, her expression, radiant. Her smile is different, her lips are tugged upward making her dimples going as deep as they can go and her eyes turn into tiny crescents. I’ve only seen Chaeyoung like this when she’s with Tzuyu.

 

She turned her head to me to finally catch my eyes staring back at her, and for the first time, I was at the receiving end of that endearing smile. 

 

 

------------

 

 

I’m tired. I don’t want to talk to people anymore. It’s delightful to see all of the familiar faces I’ve grown up with, but your girl gots to sit. 

 

I was about to make my way out of the hall when a very familiar person appeared. 

 

”Tell me about this painting.” 

 

Ennik Somi Douma. The last to complete our old trio, the missing link, the young love. I haven’t seen her since my father passed away when I tried to give her back the bracelet and the tiny box that came with it. 

 

The bracelet was a present, a ’sign of love’ is what she called it. A lock to remind me that I should never lose or give up on the talent that I was given. It will keep my hands connected to my wrists so that I can still draw and paint. 

 

I was beyond happy when I got it, the meaning behind it added to the flame. Lovesick as it is, but I actually felt different when I was with her. We got along very well as friends, and more so as lovers. 

 

We just kind of, fit together, but good things hardly last. My father’s death took a toll on me. It made me rethink certain aspects of life. It made me terrified of the most trivial things, like love, and I almost gave up on art. 

 

I talked to Somi on the day of my father’s funeral. I told her how I wanted to do something else. Something totally unrelated to what my father did in his lifetime. I couldn't bring myself to pick up another pencil or paintbrush. 

 

I tried to give back the bracelet because it has lost its meaning. I’ve broken the lock, I have given up. Somi didn’t let me though, the girl knew me more and understood me more than anyone else. She didn’t let me give up on my dreams. She didn’t take the bracelet back, instead, she told me to use it as an inspiration and guide if ever I get lost again.

 

That’s exactly what I did. I brought it over to Melbourne as I started my first year of uni. I had it on whenever I had to do a project. I wore it in every gallery showings I had. For the past two years, I never forgot to wear it because it kept me grounded, it kept me going. 

 

Until I had something else occupying my mind. Something else that kept me going. When a certain someone became my only muse, inspiration and guide. 

 

Since then all I’ve been thinking about is this week that I’m in Sydney. I thought to myself that one of the first things that I would do is to give Somi back the bracelet.

 

Once Mina and I got back from the museum drying our first day here I left the hotel again with nothing else but the little white box in hand and met Somi in a nearby restaurant.

 

I told her about Mina. Dear God even her name gives me chills. I raved about her to Somi. In the short time that we spent together, it felt like old times. Just two friends talking about their puppy love crush. It made me realize how much I’ve missed Somi. That I should’ve treasured our friendship through those years. 

 

That’s why I vowed to make it up to her, though she only asked for one thing, which is to meet Mina. So I asked her to come to the exhibit, and that’s where we are now. 

 

”Okay enough with art talk. I want to meet your girl.” 

 

”She’s walking around with her friend, you can meet her later.”

 

Somi whined, ”but I don’t have until later. I have a class to go to Chaeng. Not everyone is a gifted artist that gets one week off of school to go to exhibits.” 

 

My phone buzzing interrupted me from biting back a retort. ”Tzuyu texted, she’s with Sana-” 

 

”Sana?” 

 

”Mina’s friend. I asked her to tell Mina to come back here.” I showed her my phone with Tzuyu and I’s messages on display. ”There, happy?”

 

Somi grinned wide as the Cheshire cat. ”Very”

 

We talked about anything and everything, enjoying each other’s company when I felt a presence to my left. A few steps away stood Mina in all her elegant and ethereal glory. 

 

“There she is” 

 

Somi waved for Mina to come closer while I merely gawked at her. Being dazed and trapped inside my head all morning hindered me to get a good look and actually talk to her. It feels like the first time seeing Mina again. I was left completely stunned by her beauty. 

 

”Hi” 

 

”Hi” 

 

We stayed silent for a couple of seconds, the air thick with awkwardness.

 

”Hi as well. My name is Somi, I’ve heard so much about you Mina.” 

 

Mina peered her eyes off from our stare, politely greeting Somi. 

 

”Somi is a childhood friend of Tzuyu and I. She’s like the Momo to us.” 

 

The two of them talked, going back and forth with stories about me. I only watched them, seldomly butting in to defend myself, but silent nonetheless. It’s nice to see the people in my life meeting and getting along. It’s as if two different pieces of a puzzle connect to become one. 

 

Another piece of the puzzle came in the form of a petite woman walking in my direction with a teenage boy not far behind. 

 

I decided to meet them halfway, excusing myself from Mina and Somi.

 

”Oh Chaeyoung, we are so proud of you.” ”It’s great to see you noona.” 

 

Okay now, this is familiar. I melted into my mother’s embrace, taking in her soft cinnamon scent. I pulled away from her to tackle my younger brother with a hug.

 

”Hey!” 

 

”How did you know that I’d be here?” 

 

My mother smiled at me sweetly. ”Oh honey, did you really think your godfather won’t tell me. He organized this exhibit after all.” 

 

Wheein’s father, the guy who gave the speech a while ago, the guy who used to work with my dad. Of course, why didn’t it occur to me that he could be the organiser? Wheein having a say in the placements should’ve been a major give away.

 

I’m happy to see my family, no doubt about that, but I feel guilty all of a sudden. I basically distanced myself from them for the past two years. I can’t help but feel ashamed. 

 

”Chaeyoung look at me, ” my mother took my hands in hers ”your father would be very proud of you, and he would very much appreciate it if you go see him. We understand that you needed time to be alone, to take it all in. We’re more than happy to have you back event just for a short while.” 

 

I nodded, choosing not to say anything. I led them to where my painting is hung. Somi and Mina stopped their conversation when they saw us approaching.

 

”Mrs Son! Long time no see.” They hugged and Somi high-fived Jeonghoon ”what’s up”

 

I pushed Mina closer to where my mother stood.

 

”Mom, this is my friend, Mina. She came along with another friend of ours who Tzuyu kind of kidnapped, I think” 

 

”It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mrs Son.” Mina timidly reached out her hand for a shake but instead was pulled into a hug by my mother. ”It’s a pleasure of mine to meet such an exquisite looking young lady.” she lowered down her voice saying ”I do hope you’re taking good care of my Changie here.” 

 

”Mom I can hear you.” 

 

Mother released the poor girl from her grip, slightly chuckling to herself. ”What? Melbourne is far from home. I have to know if you're safe there, miles and mile away.” 

 

”Oh hi Mrs Son!” 

 

Tzuyu strolled in with Sana by her side. The two giggling to themselves as they joined our little group here. 

 

”Tzuyu, you’ve grown so much now, ”Tzuyu’s cheeks were violated by my mother punching them. ”oh how I wish Chaeyoung would have grown this tall.” 

 

”Mother!”

 

A chorus of laughter surrounded me as I grumbled a silent protest to my mother. Though one stood out, catching my mother’s attention. A high pitched laugh coming from a certain enthusiastic redhead.

 

”and what might be your name, darling” 

 

Sana calmed herself down before bowing to my mother, ”Minatozaki Sana, ma’am” 

 

”A very attractive name for a very attractive girl.” 

 

I snorted, ”If I didn’t know better, I would say that you’re flirting mom.” Jeonghoon made gagging noises which earned him a glare. 

 

”Can’t an old lady appreciate a beauty?” She looked around at each of us, none met her eye except for Tzuyu, ”Don’t worry Tzu, she’s all yours.” who she winked at.

 

Tzuyu’s eyes became twice as big, hanging open from a sentence she couldn’t get out. 

 

 ”How about I take you, girls, to lunch. A thank you for taking care of my little tiger cub.” 

 

That’s the most pleasant thing that I’ve heard come out from my mother’s mouth all this time.


except for the ”proud” part but you know, food

 

Unfortunately, though Somi couldn’t come with, same goes with Jeonghoon who also had classes to attend to. 

 

My mother took us to a bistro close to the Opera House. She linked arms with the two Japanese girls as we walked out of the museum, seemingly in a secretive conversation with each other.  

 

Lunch was great, Tzuyu and I happily ate our food while watching Sana and Mina try to keep up with my mother. She would ramble on and on of stories after stories while asking the two a couple of questions in between. I was pretty much enjoying myself until...

 

”Honey, you should bring them home tomorrow, if you haven’t got anything else planned.” 

 

The first statement I’m totally fine with, but the next...

 

”You’ll get the chance to visit your father as well. His anniversary was just a week ago.” 

 

Yikes

 

”Sure, we’ll go tomorrow.” I didn’t bother to look up from my plate, avoiding eye contact with my mother. ”You should come as well Tzuyu. When was the last time you saw your parents?” 

 

I hope Tzuyu caught on to my underlying plea for help. ”I’ll have to check my schedule with Jihyo!-” I pinched her thigh below the table for her to understand ”Oh you know what I think I’m clear for tomorrow. Yah, I can drive them too.”

 

My mother’s eyes lit up more than they already have. ”Fantastic! Chaeyoung you probably missed your old room now. Don’t worry I didn’t touch anything in there- er except, well for when I’m cleaning.” 

 

My mother had to meet some clients downtown so we had to cut things short. Sana took Tzuyu away with her, something about magazines and buildings, which left Mina and me alone.

 

”Do you fancy boat rides?” 

 

”I’m sorry, what?”

 

”We can get on one in 5 minutes, and come back after 40.” 

 

We were standing at a wharf where there’s a kiosk selling 40-minute cruise rides around the bay. I couldn’t think of anything else to pass the time right now, and the opportunity presented itself. 

 

 

------------

 

 

We’re on a small cruise ship. It floats, and it rocks, and I have nowhere to go when things go south. I’ve been nervous since I met Chaeyoung’s mom because I wasn’t ready. I wasn’t prepared and it was just too much. 

 

I mean what are the chances that you get to meet your crush’s family who she’s been pretty much avoiding this entire time and making sure they wouldn't know that she’s even around? Apparently pretty high because your crush is basically the darling of the art scene and news travels fast. It will reach her next of kin whether she knew about it or not. 

 

Somi has disclosed some very interesting facts about Chaeyoung’s background that I never got to hear about until know. One of them is how her mother is like the Commander X of an Anonymous type group of high-end fashion designers and how her dad used to do commission paintings for rich people. Like really, really rich people, head of States included. 

 

How would you react when you find out that your (hopefully) prospective significant other’s family is actually this rich and important? Yeah, I also don’t know, and it’s pretty intimidating. 

 

Chaeyoung has always looked so simple, modest, just like how every girl her age looks. Well except for her eccentric fashion sense, which should’ve been a dead give away regarding her maternal parentage. 

 

Okay Mina, calm yourself down. What could happen in a short boat ri-

 

We’re moving. Oh, it’s windy, the sky is clear, the water is blue. 

 

”Minari?” 

 

Heart, please slow down. I don’t want to die of a heart attack in the middle of the sea.

 

”Yes Chaengie?”

 

”Nothing, you’ve been out of it for a while there.”

 

I directed my eyes towards the Sydney Harbour Bridge instead of Chaeyoung’s face. 

 

Chaeyoung teased, ”I hope my mom didn’t scare you off.” but I could hear the worry in her voice. I sat beside her on one of the benches. 

 

”She’s very sweet. You’re like a younger version of her. Looks and personality-wise.”

 

I pictured in my head Chaeyoung standing beside her mother. They could pass off as sisters rather than mother-daughter. They talked like friends and they both had this laid back attitude. 

 

”I’m sure you’re mom is as delightful as you are.” 

 

She wasn’t Chaeng. She was more. Is what I wanted to say but couldn’t. 

 

”My mom would have grilled you.” 

 

Chaeyoung grimaced trying to hide her laugh. ”Ouch, I better polish up then. Make sure she would like me.” 

 

I’m sure she would.

 

We finished the cruise while talking about anything but family. Tzuyu and Sana were waiting for us at the wharf when we got down. Tzuyu suggested that we should stay over in her apartment for the remainder of our stay here. It’ll cost us less and she’ll only drive to and from one place.

 

Tzuyu has point, but I know it’s more than that. I hope her walls are soundproof because I do not want to hear her and Sana going at it. 

 

We dropped by the hotel to check out from our room and get our stuff before moving to Tzuyu’s penthouse unit. 

 

”I’ll bet you 20 bucks they’ll be gone by the third movie.” 

 

We were huddled in Tzuyu’s entertainment room, a little cinema with reclining seats, watching Star Wars. Sana didn’t even try to hide her hands slowly going up Tzuyu’s thigh. Though Tzuyu maintained her attention on the television, it’s obvious that she’s having a hard time concentrating on Luke Skywalker. 

 

”I’ll bet 20 they’re gone by the second.” 

 

Chaeyoung stared at me accusingly. ”You underestimate Tzuyu.” 

 

”You underestimate Sana.”

 

A look of realization washed over Chaeyoung’s face. Her expression fell, she knew she was defeated. 

 

We were already nearing the end of the second movie and the ’couple’ hasn’t left yet. 

 

”come on Tzuyu be strong”

 

Chaeyoung kept mumbling to herself for the past 5 minutes. Praying that whatever deity was listening would giver her best friend strength until the Jedi returned, but it looked like the dark side won over the young padawan because as the droid was poking Luke’s new mechanical arm, Tzuyu dragged a giddy Sana out of the room faster than the Millenium Falcon making the Kessel run. 

 

”I RAISED YOU BETTER THAN THAT CHOU TZUYU”

 

Chaeyoung reached into her pocket to fish out a red-orange banknote with the numbers 2 and 0 located at the upper right corner. I would have to get Sana Dippin Dots with this gambled money. 

 

Chaeyoung went through the extensive movie catalogue Tzuyu’s in house cinema had, reading the synopsis given for each. She also messed with a couple of lightings and seat adjustments around the room, making herself as comfortable as she could. 

 

”You’ve been here before? I thought you haven’t come back since you left.” 

 

”The Chou’s family house has one of these.”

 

People at our high school would be all over these two rich girls if they went there. 

 

A stairway leading up to an alley with a guy wearing a red suit caught Chaeyoung’s attention. The movie about today’s depiction of the Clown Prince of Crime played on the big screen, Chaeyoung sighing contently as she laid on the soft couch while nibbling on some popcorn. 

 

In time with Arthur Fleck shooting Murray Franklin live on an interview, a loud bang from a heavy object hitting the floor could be heard from above.

 

”Bet it’s Sana falling off the bed.” 

 

”I’m going to check on them.”

 

Chaeyoung pulled me by the arm stopping me from getting up. ”Would you really want to risk seeing them ?”

 

I deflated in my seat. 

 

”Thought so”

 

Chaeyoung got up and walked over to a control panel at the far left of the room. I couldn't see what Chaeyoung was doing since she had her back turned to me. 

 

”What happened up there?” 

 

Oh, an in house telephone

 

”I ing knew it. Be careful you two.” 

 

Clumsy Sana

 

”Go easy on the girl. Make sure she isn’t limping on the way back to Melbourne.”

 

Images, there are unwanted images in my head now. Looks like Sana won’t be getting her tiny ice cream balls after all. 

 

We finished the movie without any other disturbances. Sana was already cooking in the kitchen when we got there, but there was no Tzuyu to be seen. 

 

Chaeyoung skipped over to where Sana was cutting chicken fillets into fingers. ”Hey Sana, where’s your top?” Chaeyoug said in a sing-song voice toying with the older girl.

 

”In the shower”

 

Chaeyoung shielded herself using my body before Sana realized what just happened, protecting herself from the deadly weapon in Sana’s grasp.

 

”Not fair! You can’t use my friend as a defence. This is between you and me you little-”

 

”Woah! Hey! Hannibal Lector put the knife down.”

 

Tzuyu came in right on time to appease Sana from trying to harm the giggling 12-year-old behind me. 

 

”I’m proud of you Tzuyu.” Chaeyoung peeked her head over my shoulder, giving the former a thumbs up.

 

Tzuyu shook her head laughing, which Sana didn’t appreciate that much. ”Neither of you are eating dinner.” 

 

Chaeyoung now stood upright, ”Now that’s not fair. Tzuyu can eat y-” but bowed back down squeaking from the deadly glare Sana delivered straight to her. 

 

”Keep talking like that Chaeng she might just take her friend away from you.” 

 

Chaeyoung wrapped her arms around my waist protectively, facing me away from the other two.
 

Premature ventricular contractions or PVCs, my father told me about it once but I don’t think I’ve experienced it yet. Not until now, when having Chaeyoung so close to me like this makes my heart skip a beat. 

 

I feel a tachycardia starting, my heart racing fast. I can’t calm my heart down from beating like it wants to jump out of my body. 

 

Damn, I’ve got it bad. 

 

Food was already on the table but we didn’t get to eat until Sana and Chaeyoung agreed with pulling a prank on Dahyun after they fought for 10 minutes. How they got to that conclusion, I’m not sure. 

 

Bickering SaChaeng is better than on-the-same-side SaChaeng. They made a truce on not teasing each other so they teased Tzuyu and me instead. 

 

Nonetheless, it was a pleasant dinner altogether. Chaeyound and I did the dishes after eating, the ’couple’ went to the balcony. 

 

”I’m very grateful for Sana, ”

 

I looked up from the cup I was drying to see Chaeyoung looking at the two laughing their heads off. 

 

”Tzuyu looks so happy and carefree. She isn’t hiding, she’s just there. All out in the open. I never thought I would get to see that happen but here it is.”

 

She sighed a good kind of sigh, a sigh of relief.

 

”It could have been Dahyun who’s this happy now.” 

 

Chaeyoung returned to washing the dishes, the conversation ending there. 

 

Sana always had this charm around her. A positive aura the lures people in. She’s always as the ability to bring out the best in people, the bright side of it all. A ray of sunshine walking on earth, lighting up everyone she comes across with. 

 

That’s Sana for everybody else, but that’s Chaeyoung for me. Her presence keeps me at peace, her smile makes the worries disappear, and her voice washes away the exhaustion. 

 

The way Chaeyoung lives life, the way she approaches every single day goes against everything I was taught to be or do. I make plans, she doesn’t. I am cautious, she’s impetuous. We’re so different from each other, she shows me a new how to live. 

 

It excites me and scares me at the same time.