Saida? What Saida?

Compensate

 

”Son Chaeyoung” 

 

Mina and I both whipped our heads to see the person that spoke. Behind us stood none other than Jungkook.

 

”Kookie, what are you doing here?” I haven’t seen him in a while so I moved to hug him. 

 

Jungkook kept his arm around me as I pulled away. ”Same as you it seems, I’m showing a friend of mine around.” 

 

”Oh so you have a friend that I don’t know about? Where is he- I meant where is your friend?” I couldn't help but tease Jungkook knowing that he doesn’t like people knowing about his paintings. 

 

We both work behind a pseudonym when our pieces are shown in galleries and exhibits like these. The fact that he deliberately took someone here for them to see his artwork means that he’s trying to impress this person. 

 

”He just went to the lavatory, he’ll be back quick. You’ll get to meet him.” Jungkook nudged me on the head. 

 

Jungkook diverted his attention to Mina. ”Hi Mina, how have you been?”

 

Mina smiled at him. ”I’m doing okay Jungkook, thanks for asking.” 

 

We heard someone say, ”Hey ’Kook there you are.” which made us all spun our heads to see the source of the voice. 

 

To Mina’s right stood a guy with lengthy hair, wearing a brown knitted vest over a white long-sleeved dress shirt, dark brown pants, and some specs.

 

I oddly remember Andrew Alexander, the brother of that Youtuber who does Princess Polly hauls who goes by the name urmomashley. He looks like a mix of Jungkook and Jungkook’s ’friend’ right here.

 

”Girls this is Taehyung.” Both Mina and I waved at him, ”Tae this is my baby sister Chaeyoung, ” Jungkook squeezed my shoulders before turning to Mina ”and that’s Mina, Chaeyoung’s friend.” I noticed he put emphasis on the word friend. 

 

Taehyung shook both Mina and I’s hands. ”I didn’t know you had a sister Jungkook. You’ve only told me about your brother.” 

 

”We’re not actually related, ”  I responded to Taehyung.  ”and it’s more like he’s the younger one with all the crazy shenanigans I’ve had to pull him from.” 

 

We all laughed at the expense of a now flustered Jungkook. ”Alright alright you didn’t have to mention that.” 

 

”Chaeyoung, are you an artist too?” 

 

I peeled myself off from Jungkook’s grasp and stood beside Taehyung. ”I am, this right here is actually mine.” 

 

 

------------

 

 

Chaeyoung began chatting with Taehyung about her painting which left me with Jungkook behind them. 

 

”I heard you’ve been spending time together a lot recently.” I glanced at Jungkook and nodded. ”Are you still waiting?”

 

”Is Chaeyoung still interested?” 

 

Jungkook tilted his head to the side. ”Are you saying you would leave her if she wasn’t interested anymore?” 

 

”I meant to ask if I still had a chance. I’d stay even if we’re just friends. She’s grown on me.” 

 

Jungkook smiled his perfect teeth out. ”I know I won't regret trusting you. Chaeyoung is as precious to me as she is to you, if not more.” He veered his eyes from me to look at Chaeyoung. 

 

”Chaeyoung can be difficult at times, yes. She’ll make you question why you’re even friends, but you get your answer every time she’s there when you need her. Chaeyoung will give more than what she can for the people she loves.”

 

I gazed at Chaeyoung who’s still talking to Taehyung. ”I promise I won’t break your trust.” 

 

”You better not or else I’m kicking your back to Japan.” We both laughed causing the other two to look back at us.

 

Chaeyoung crossed her arms over her chest. ”What are you guys laughing about?” 

 

”I told Mina about your coconut hair phase.” 

 

Chaeyoung let out a gasp, her eyes bulging. ”You didn’t show pictures did you!?” 

 

”What if I did?” Jungkook smirked, his voice low and teasing. 

 

Chaeyoung only frowned, pouting and locking this doe eyes at Jungkook as a response. 

 

Jungkook groaned exasperatedly ”Don’t look at me like that.” He closed his eyes ”I didn’t show pictures. I promise.” 

 

We all cracked at how Chaeyoung easily made Jungkook cave in. Taehyung suggested going to this Asian restaurant not far from here and we all agreed already feeling hungry. 

 

Our little group exited the gallery headed by Taehyung while I walked beside him, the other two following us. I peeked behind me only to see Chaeyoung on her tiptoes trying to hit Jungkook on the head. They continued their sibling banter until we reached our destination. 

 

”Hyung!” Taehyung went up to a stern-looking fella. The guy in question looked up and scowled at seeing Taehyung. 

 

”Why are you here? I’m busy.” 

 

Taehyung clutched his chest, feigning being hurt. ”I’m here as a customer hyung, I even brought friends.” He motions towards us with his outstretched arms. 

 

His stoic face disappeared and a look of surprise replaced it. He hurriedly took a note pad and some menu boards. ”Right this way.” He went down the stairs just beside the counter. 

 

The waiter leads us to a table in the corner and handed us menus once we sat down. Chaeyoung and I took the couch seat while the boys took the chairs in front of us. 

 

The menu’s filled with dishes from different countries in Asia. We ended up ordering yang chao, jajangmyeon, and pork tonkatsu to share between us. 

 

”Is the waiter your brother?” 

 

Taehyung laughed before responding. ”Yoongi-hyung to me is like Chaeyoung is to Jungkook. He’s a childhood friend from home. We both flew here from Daegu in South Korea to study”. 

 

There was a chorus of ohs from the three of us. ”If looks could kill, you would have already been dead a while ago.” Chaeyoung commented between laughs.

 

Jungkook placed his hand on Taehyung’s shoulder ”How much do you annoy that Yoongi guy for him to look like he’s only seconds from burying you alive?” 

 

”Hey, ” Taehyung help his hands up in defence ”I am a very nice dongsaeng. He may look grumpy, ”  He looked around first before saying in a hushed voice ”but deep down he’s actually a big softie.” 

 

”Here are your orders.” 

 

Right after Taehyung said that Yoongi arrived with our food startling the poor guy. We talked amongst ourselves while we ate. Chaeyoung and Jungkook still fought like children, Taehyung egged them on occasionally joining in, as I sat back and watched them. 

 

Chaeyoung looks so comfortable and free when she’s with Jungkook. They really have this siblings bond between them. They could actually pass off as blood-related to how similar they look. 

 

”By the way, ” Thank God, they eventually calmed down, we were starting to get looks from other patrons. ”are you taking Dahyun to Sydney with you?” 

 

Chaeyoung nodded at Jungkook. ”We’re both on school break so it works.” I sipped on my soda, ”You should ask Mina to come along as well.” but choked on it from hearing what Jungkook said. 

 

Chaeyoung patted and rubbed my back trying to alleviate the pain in my lungs. ”Would you like to though? Are you free that week?” I took the glass of water she handed me.

 

I managed to let out a stifled ”What?” while still having a coughing fit.

 

”Would you like to come to Sydney with Dahyun and me? It’s only for a week. I did tell you I’d bring you to NSW.” 

 

When I finally steadied my breathing I replied back to Chaeyoung. ”I’ll have to go check my schedule first.” 

 

She only smiled that cute smile of her’s where her dimple appears. I turned to look at Jungkook who had his head down trying not to smile and Taehyung who’s obviously confused but is slowly coming to the realization as his face lights up. 

 

We stayed for a little longer before Chaeyoung announced that she still needed to finish the painting she’s doing for the Sydney exhibit. We all walked together to Flinder’s station before we went our separate ways. We all lived in different areas, so I rode the tram, Chaeyoung the bus, and the other two rode the train. 

 

I arrived at my apartment surprised to already find Sana lounging on the couch. ”Oh hi Mina! There’s ice cream in the fridge for you.” 

 

”Why are you home so early today?” I sat beside Sana checking the tv to see what’s on. Sana seems to be watching some kind of entertainment news channel talking about a bunch of up and coming models. 

 

”My boss offered to absorb me after my internship ends, ” Sana mouthed a spoonful of dippin’ dots before continuing. ”but it also means that I probably would have to move to Sydney. He even said he’d sponsor me to visit the main office there.”

 

”You’re eating dippin’ dots, it’s either you’re anxious or super happy. Which is it?” 

 

Sana sighed and placed the ice cream cup on the coffee table. ”Both, I bought like a dozen of these.”

 

”Why are you, anxious honey? You’d get to see Momo more often then.” 

 

Sana jumped on the couch, ”You’re right!” then it fell and she hugged me again. ”but that would mean I’m leaving you here.” 

 

”I’ll be fine Satang. I’m graduating after a year you finish your internship, maybe I can follow you guys up there.” 

 

Sana hugged me tighter, ”I just don’t want to leave you alone, darling.” 

 

”Tell you this, ” I held her at arm's length, ”Chaeyoung asked if I wanted to come with them to Sydney next week. We can go check the office together so you can think about it better.” 

 

Sana’s eyes shined bright with joy, her previous worries washing away. ”Them? Who else is there?” 

 

”Dahyun” 

 

She nodded and took her ice cream cup finishing the contents in one go. Then she stood up with a pep in her step and took out another one from the freezer without uttering a single word ending our conversation. 

 

 

------------

 

 

Mina and I decided to go to my apartment after I picked her up from class. She wanted to talk to me about going to Sydney. I’m happy that she agreed to come along with Sana. After that incident before with Dahyun, they got to talking and started to go out together once in a while. 

 

I was preparing something for us to eat when Dahyun arrived. 

 

”Oh hey Dahyun unnie. Where have you been?” 

 

Dahyun took out the pitcher of water from the fridge. ”I was out with Sana.” She gulped down the water like she’s been devoid of the liquid. 

 

”Ohhhh Dahyuniee went on a date.” I teasingly poked her on the shoulder. 

 

She gave me a scowl, ”It wasn’t a date.” 

 

”iT wAsN’t A dAtE” I scoffed at her, ”yah okay sure honey.” 

 

Dahyun grumbled, slamming the glass she was holding so hard I’m surprised it didn't break. She then walked away towards the direction of our rooms. 

 

”What was that?” 

 

Mina shrugged then stood up helping me with the food.

 

The whole time Mina was here, Dahyun didn’t step out of her room at least once. It’s unusual of her to not socialize with a person when they’re in our apartment so it kinda got me worried. Once Mina left, I immediately went to Dahyun’s room to check up on her.

 

”Unnie, ” I gently knocked on her door. ”can I come in?” 

 

I heard a hum so I went in. Dahyun was sprawled on her bed still in the clothes she arrived in. ”What’s up Dubs?” I sat at the foot of her bed facing her.

 

”I might not be able to come with you to Sydney.” Dahyun tried her best to look anywhere but to me.

 

”Why did something happen?” 

 

Dahyun suddenly sat up, ”Uhm yeah, mom called and she said that I’m needed at home over the short break.” 

 

I nodded my head, ”Oh okay, good thing we haven’t bought any tickets yet huh.” 

 

Dahyun chuckled lightheartedly, ”I’m sorry I can’t go there with you Chaengie.”

 

I patted her leg, ”It’s fine unnie, I have Mina and Sana to keep me company.” and gave her a big smile. 

 

”Right, Sana” 

 

She plopped back down on her bed and buried her head with a pillow. I knitted my eyebrows, looking at her weirdly. I slowly walked out of the room when she started to mumble incoherently in Korean. 

 

------

 

It’s finally the day that we fly to Sydney and stay there for a week. I booked the first flight in the morning so that we can make most of our first day. 

 

Sana has been quiet since I met up with them. Mina told me she’ll explain once we get to the airport. We arrived at the airport pretty early, food establishments were only starting to open up. 

 

A shop selling pastries and coffee was already open though so we decided to eat something before we got on the plane. I also bought extra bread as a thank you for the person meeting us when we land.

 

Sana walked around which left Mina and me in our table. ”What’s up with Sana?” 

 

Mina put down the coffee that she was drinking. ”Hm home girl’s heartbroken. Your little friend did something to upset her. She didn’t elaborate on it though, she just said ’Dahyun’.” 

 

I simply nodded since Sana came back with a tray of Maccas on hand.

 

We didn’t notice that our boarding time was already near so when we heard the announcement for our flight that was about to board, we hurriedly stood up and ran. The gate’s pretty far from the common area so we had to run fast. 

 

Thankfully we reached our gate on time. I got on the plane feeling nervous. Not that I was scared of flying, no. It’s because I’m scared of finally going back home. After 2 years of not leaving Melbourne, I’m now only an hour’s away from stepping in Sydney soil once again. 

 

Though, I also feel excited to finally see my best friend again. 

 

I was behind Sana who’s sat beside Mina on the aisle seat. Once the plans levelled, I tapped her on the shoulder. 

 

”Sana, what did Dahyun do to this time?” 

 

She just looked at me for a couple of seconds before speaking. ”Your friend’s kind of an .” She had on a soft expression which tells me she didn’t really mean what she said.

 

I chuckled, ”I did tell you to find other fishies in the sea.” and patted her on the shoulder. 

 

”Oh I’ll make it a mission when we get to Sydney alright.” Sana smirked with that glint in her eyes that she has. 

 

We both leaned back down on our seats, relaxing while watching the clouds pass and the sun, rise.