Cate Blanchett hands me a red envelope

Compensate

 

Dying is easy, living is hard. 

 

Someone could just be sitting, enjoying a plate of Chicken Parmesan then suddenly get hit by whatever the birds at Federation Square tried to fly away with. They could be carrying a brick for all we know. 

 

Or two of your family members could leave the house and only one would return. Whichever seems more probable. 

 

I personally think that the incident with the birds is more likely to happen

 

Life is a matter of chances and choices. You are given a chance to choose every single day, every moment of your life. You decide what you want to do, and where you want to go. 

 

I chose to follow my dream and move to another state for uni. That's why I’m currently sat in a lecture hall listening to a 50-year-old woman who thinks she’s cool just because her fashion sense is top-notch. 

 

" -and that is all you need to know about Russel Drysdale for today.” Students started to pack up their things while I stayed still. “Remember to do those reports I assigned you guys. It's simple really, and entering the museum is free, so no excuses. Have a nice weekend everyone ." 

 

I finally stood up and gathered my things, before I reached the door I heard our professor call me. ”Chaeyoung, may I speak with you real quick?” 

 

“What’s up, Mrs Upton?” I made my way to her and saw that she was fishing out something from underneath her desk. ”Here they are!”

 

She handed me a folder. ”I was asked to give you this.” 

 

I opened it and read the content. It’s a form for an exhibit that wants to showcase students from different art schools across the country. It takes places in Sydney for a week in October. 

 

“I’m not sure Mrs Up-“ “I knew you would say that, and you know I would never ask this of you on my own.” She again took something from her desk drawer and handed it to me.

 

I had in my hands a red envelope with my name written on it in gold lettering. I opened it and took out the paper inside. 

 

Greetings Ms Chaeyoung Son: 

 

We at the Museums & Galleries of NSW are dedicated to showcasing art to various audiences through the network of public galleries and museums throughout the country. This year, we are in the process of opening an exhibit that displays the works of notable students chosen by our board of directors. This program is part of a campaign encouraging the youth into taking an interest in the field of art by showing them the quality of education our art schools give. 

 

As a renowned student of RMIT, word of your brilliance surpassed your college walls and has reached us. Chaeyoung Son, the board of MGNSW invites you to partake and share your talent in this fundamental event. 

 

We wish to hear a good response from you.

 

”This is real? You’re not joking, right?” She laughed at my reaction, ”I promise I ain't ting with you.” 

 

”It’s an invitation. A personal invitation, it has my name on it.” I started at the piece of paper in my hands. Not sure what to say. 

 

”So will you?” I looked at Mrs Upton, ”Will you give them a good response?” Her expression changed to a warm smile. 

 

”I have to right? It said that participants were handpicked by the board themselves. It feels like it’d be wrong to not accept.” 

 

”You still have a choice darling. I know you're hesitating to go back, so think it through okay? You won’t have to send your reply until the end of the month.” 

 

I looked at the invitation again, rereading the contents. I sighed as I slid it back in the envelope. ”I’ll weigh my options.” I nodded to myself 

 

”Okay that’s great! Way better than how you reacted last time.” She picked up the folder that I placed on her desk when she gave me the envelope. ”You should get going, class reports won’t be done by themselves.” 

 

”Thanks Mrs Upton, I’ll see you next week.” I waved and saw her waving back to me, ”Take care, Chaeyoung!” 

 

I made my way out of the building since I had no other class for today. Swanston street was starting to get busy with people getting out of work or school. I traversed through the crowd to get to a tram stop. 

 

While waiting for the tram, my mind wandered back to the invitation. It's one hell of an opportunity for sure, but I don’t think I’m ready to face what I’ve practically run away from. 

 

A tram finally arrived but it isn’t the one heading to my apartment. It stops at the beach I visit frequently. So I decided to ride it and head there. 

 

I got off and made my way to the port. I've always found it relaxing to walk along here. It would get windy and I would get to smell the ocean breeze. The deep-sea is something that I'm very interested in. I like watching documentaries about it. The mysteries and secrets it holds open up my mind to wild ideas. One of those ideas is getting a tattoo of an angelfish. 

 

Walking up to the end of the port I catch a glimpse of some of the penguins that live here. "Hey, there little guy. You had a good day swimming around?" I asked the sea bird as if it could speak back to me. 

 

I stayed there for a couple of minutes, and when I was about to leave I heard someone laughing. I looked at the stairs going down and I saw a girl. She was watching a raft of penguins swimming about. The girl had this long hair that caught the rays of the setting sun. I couldn't really see her face since she was looking away from me. I decided to let her be and started walking back to the beach. 

 

- - - - - - 

 

"Dahyunieeee! I'm home." I announced my arrival with my roommate. We go to the same college, she majors in musical arts while I double major in musical and visual arts. She's the first person I met here in Melbourne when I moved.

 

"YAH CHAEYOUNGAH WHERE'VE YOU BEEN? Your class ended HOURS ago." Dahyun exclaimed as I saw her emerge from her room. 

 

"Oh, I must have forgotten to text you. I'm sorry unnie" I gave her my oh-so-irresistible look that could make anyone melt. "I just dropped by the beach. I didn't feel like coming home yet"

 

Dahyun hugged me and said "Don't do that ever again. I almost asked Nayeon unnie for help just to know where you were."

 

"aaaawwwww nearly risked doing that just for me? Well, I'm sorry for worrying you." I said as I beamed at her showing my dimples. "I promise to always remember to tell you where I would be. How 'bout I cook dinner for night hm?"

 

"You're lucky I like your cooking." Dahyun mused while letting me go and pushing me to the direction of our kitchen.

 

I sidestepped away from her and made my way to the direction of our rooms "Unnie I would like to get out of these clothes first. It's getting kinda stuffy in here." I quickly changed and when I got out I saw Dahyun unnie on the couch watching some Korean variety show. I shook my head and started to cook. 

 

——————

 

"Why don't you just take culinary and master the art of cooking?" Dahyun asked as she leaned back on her chair. Slowly rubbing her stomach to ease the feeling of being full.

 

"and be your personal chef? No, no unnie. I'd rather play with paint than burn or chop my hands off." I replied and kissed both my hands. "These bad boys possess too much talent, it'd be a waste for them to be damaged." I started scrolling through my phone when I got a call —- 

 

"Hello, who is this?"

 

"Son Chaeyoung, is that how you greet your cousin?"

 

"Jeongyeon unnie?"

 

"Hey, there tiger!"

 

"Hey! How've you been? I haven't talked to you in a while."

 

"I'm doing fine. I was actually wondering

if we could meet tomorrow."

 

"You're here in Melbourne?I know I'm your favourite cousin, but coming here all for me.."

 

"Don't flatter yourself too much Chaeyoungie, 

I actually decided to study here. 

Take up business management as a major."

 

"Oh, you'd love it here. I'll show you around and take you to the best places to eat.”

 

"Hahaha, of course, you would. 

I expect nothing less from you. 

Anyway, I better go, 

I still need to unpack a couple of things. 

See you tomorrow Chaeng!"

 

"See you tomorrow unnie." 

 

——————

 

"Can I tag along? I have nothing better to do tomorrow." Dahyun asked after I ended the call with Jeongyeon unnie. "I already finished my report, I don't want to be cooped up in here all day."

 

"Of course, you've been here longer than I have. As much as I go around there's probably still some places even I haven't been to." I answered as I got up and started walking back to my room "Unnie you can take care of the dishes right? I'm kinda tired, I might turn in early." 

 

"Sure thang boo thang. You go rest up."

 

"Goodnight Dub!"

 

"Goodnight Chaeng"

 

I entered my room and threw myself on my bed. Closing my eyes, the last thing I saw was the image of the girl from the port before I succumbed to the call of slumber.