Fix-it-Felix who?

Compensate

 

Mina’s POV

 

”Welcome back Minari.” said Sana, as I closed the door behind me and excitedly plopped down on the couch beside her.

 

I turned my head to face her, “Remember Lisa?” She nodded, ”What about her?”

 

”Her friend, the one Chaeyoung busks with, invited me to hang out with them later at a club. Chaeyoung said that you should come with.”

 

”Does she know I’m your roommate?” asked Sana, ”I don’t think so why?”

 

”I forgot to tell you, I bumped into her the other day, ” She paused to chuckle ”literally. I dropped my things and she helped me pick them up.”

 

I felt my phone buzz, I checked to see who sent me a message and saw that it’s from Lisa.

 

”Who sent you a text?” ”Lisa, she sent me the location.” I replied telling her we’ll be there.

 

“We leave at 8 okay? Go pick out what you’re going to wear.” Sana jumped off the couch and ran to her room. Knowing her, she would need as much time as she could get before leaving.

 

While she does her stuff, I went into my room to look at myself in the mirror to see if I needed to add something to my outfit. I had on a simple grey long-sleeved shirt tucked in black jeans. I decided to pair it with black boots and a black coat since it’s pretty chilly tonight.

 

I went out of my room carrying a small purse with me to put in all my necessities. ”Sana, are you ready? We need to go.”

 

I peeked inside her room only to see that she wasn’t even dressed yet. ”Help me pick.” She pouted at me, I shook my head as I entered her room.

 

She has three outfits laid out on her bed. A white printed t-shirt paired with dark jeans. Another white t-shirt but paired with overalls, and lastly, a pink pullover and dark blue pants.

 

It's apparent that she’s eyeing the last one. She just needs someone to agree with her decision, so that's what I did, “This one.” I said as I pointed to the ensemble.

 

”Okay! I’ll change quickly.” She squealed and started to return her other options. ”I’ll wait for you in the living room.”

 

 

——————

 

Chaeyoung’s POV

 

“Chaeyoung let’s go!” I heard Dahyun shout from outside my room. ”Alright I’m coming!”

 

I took one last look at my outfit. I paired white pants with my black ACDC sleeveless shirt and a denim jacket over it. I decided to forgo my glasses tonight and slipped on black boots before stepping out of my room.

 

”Took you long enough.” Dahyun scoffed.

 

”I need to look presentable.”

 

We saw Jeongyeon unnie with a girl waiting for us at the lobby. ”Unnie!” Jeongyeon turned to us.

 

”Hey you two, this is my flatmate, Seulgi.” The girl handed her hand out to us. ”Nice to meet you. My name is Chaeyoung, this is Dahyun.” We shook her hand.

 

”Likewise.”

 

”Come along now kids, I need booze in me.” We followed Jeongyeon out of our apartment building and into the cold night.

 

The club was just starting to get packed when we got there. Good thing we knew someone inside who could help us get a table. We got in with no trouble, no waiting in lines.

 

We easily found our friends since we sit at the same spot every time we go here. ”Ey DubChaeng! Long time no see.” Jackson immediately engulfed us into a hug once we arrived at our table.

 

”It’s good to see you too Jackson.” I pulled away from him and pointed to Jeongyeon. ”This is my cousin Jeongyeon and her roommate Seulgi.”

 

Everyone exchanged pleasantries before we sat down. I started to get anxious waiting for Mina’s arrival. I decided to get myself a drink from the bar to calm my nerves.

 

 

------------

 

Mina’s POV

 

”That’s a long line.” Sana and I are already outside the club where we’ll meet Chaeyoung and her friends. I didn't want to wait out in the line so I texted Lisa saying that we’re here.

 

After a couple of minutes, I saw her by the door. I waved and pulled Sana to where Lisa was.

 

”Hey Mina, glad you could come.” She hugged me, ”This is Sana, my best friend.” She turned to Sana and did the same. We entered the club and I heard some of the people in line groan. I could make out the faint sound of an RnB song getting louder as we walked through the dim-lit hallway.

 

Pink, red, and purple strobe lights illuminated the dark space. It was packed. People could be seen dancing and drinking in every corner. Lisa led us to a staircase in the far left, behind tables encircling a small stage with a pole.

 

The upstairs looked like a secluded area, not many people were here which made it feel intimate. One of the tables occupied stood out from the rest. Two guys were bickering while everyone around them laughed at their antics.

 

”Hey guys! I brought new friends.” Lisa stopped by that table and everyone gave their attention to us. ”This is Mina.” I waved at them, ”and that’s Sana.” Sana smiled and greeted everyone.

 

I looked at them one by one, they were sat in a long U-shaped booth with the table split in the middle. Starting from the right there sat a girl with short dark brown hair and beside her is a bear looking girl. Next to them sat Rosé, and to her left is a guy who wore chains and a simple black tee on. He’s the one bickering with the guy next to him who had on layers of camo coloured clothes.

 

In the other table sat two other guys and a porcelain-skinned girl. She radiated even in the dark. One of them I recognized as the guy who hugged Chaeyoung when I first saw her.

 

I now noticed that she’s missing. Where could she be?

 

”I’ll go to the restroom real quick.” Sana excused herself and made her way back down.

 

 

------------

 

Chaeyoung’s POV

 

”A screwdriver please.” I sat down at the bar to wait for my drink. I faced the dance floor watching the crowd.

 

I saw a familiar orange-haired girl descend the stairs. She's sauntering my way but doesn’t seem to see me. I waved when she got near.

 

”Hi Chaeyoung! What are you doing here alone?” Sana looked extra pretty tonight being all dolled up.

 

”I went to order a drink. Do you want one?” I turned back to the bar, ”Here’s your cocktail.” The bartender placed my drink in front of me. ”Thanks, Irene. Put her order on my tab.” I pointed to Sana beside me.

 

”Thanks, in that case, I’d like a vodka spitzer. Oh! I should do what I came down here for first. I’ll be right back.” Sana left for what I now see is the restroom.

 

We both took our drinks and went back up. I was confused to see her walk straight to our table. I was also surprised to see her sit beside Mina.

 

”You guys know each other?” I sat back on my seat between Jungkook and Dahyun.

 

”I live with her.” Sana hugged Mina who just smiled in return.

 

I turned to face Jungkook, ”Oh .” He laughed at my reaction and wrapped his arm around me.

 

 

------------

 

Mina’s POV

 

Drinks and stories started to flow around the table. Anecdotes about the most outrageous things that someone has done or seen filled the conversations. I felt myself enjoying everyone's company. They all live such exciting lives, rarely thinking of anything bad that could happen. It’s like there’s never a dull moment for them.

 

Though even with everything that’s happening, I can’t seem to take my eyes off of Chaeyoung being so close to, who I now know to be, Jungkook. Throughout the night he had his arm around Chaeyoung’s shoulders. Sometimes they would whisper to the other something only they would know.

 

Sana noticed my excessive staring, ”That’s not her boyfriend.” I gave her a questioning look. ”She said she isn’t in a relationship right now.”

 

”How do you know?”

 

”When I bumped into her someone called and I asked if it was either her boyfriend or girlfriend. She said it was neither.” Sana took a sip of her drink, looking at me pointedly. ”I also told her I’d repay her kindness with a date.”

 

I was stunned to hear that Sana has taken an interest in Chaeyoung. I know how she’s not one for relationships and prefers casual flings. Sana has always gotten any girl she sets her mind to.

 

”Don’t worry, she’s all yours now. I’ve got my eyes on someone new.” I followed her gaze to see it being directed to the girl beside Chaeyoung. The pale girl whose name is Dahyun.

 

She’s a bubbly character, someone who acts out for the entertainment of others. Put her together with that Jackson guy then you got yourself a dynamic duo. She’s also very pretty and seeing her instantly puts you in a good mood.

 

She looks too innocent to fall for Sana’s charms.

 

”Mina, do you guys want to come with or are you going to stay up here?” Everyone looked at us expectantly when Lisa spoke.

 

”I’ll come.” Sana stood up, while I stayed sat down. ”You guys go-ahead. I’ll stay and watch your things.”

 

Nearly everyone left, leaving me with Jungkook and Chaeyoung.

 

I heard Jungkook clear his throat. ”So Mina, tell us about yourself.” He still has his arm around Chaeyoung, whose busy staring at her drink.

 

”Well I’m Japanese. I came here with Sana, she’s a childhood friend of mine. I’m currently in law school-” ”Are you single by any chance?” Jungkook winced as Chaeyoung elbowed him.

 

”Yes I am.” He smiled in response, ”Okay, continue.”

 

”I used to do ballet but I stopped, and I like to play video games.” I noticed Jungkook perk up to the mention of video games.

 

”You shouldn’t have said that.” Chaeyoung rolled her eyes and shook her head, ”He won’t stop talking to you about it now.” Jungkook pouted at Chaeyoung which made her laugh.

 

”It appears to me that you don’t want my company. It’d be best if I leave you for someone who’ll appreciate me.” Jungkook dramatically stood up to leave but Chaeyoung got a grip on his arm to stop him.

 

 

------------

 

Chaeyoung’s POV

 

I pulled Jungkook to whisper in his ear. ”What are you doing?”

 

”I’m giving the two of you some alone time. This is your chance. She’s single.” I sighed and let go of him. He’s been telling me to try and talk to Mina all night. I don’t know what’s gotten into me. It’s like I suddenly forget how to speak when I’m in front of her.

 

He straightened up, ”If you’ll excuse me, ladies, I will get myself another drink.” With that, he left the two of us alone.

 

I too stood up but only to move closer to Mina. ”Hi” I gave her a small smile as I sat down.

 

”Hey to you too. You’ve been quiet. Are you not enjoying yourself?” Mina honestly looked concerned.

 

I played with my hands. “I’m fine, just nervous I guess.” I chose to be truthful.

 

“Why are you nervous.”

 

I looked at her chuckling to myself, “Because you're here.” I can't believe I’m getting shy about this. I seriously need to get laid.

 

”You shouldn’t be nervous, I don't bite.” She winked at me as she said that. I felt my brain malfunction and unable to form a response. I opened my mouth but no words came out.

 

”Anyway, tell me about yourself.”

 

 

------------

Mina’s POV

 

I laughed at her reaction to what I said. I decided to strike up a new conversation to stop her from blushing.

 

”Uhm my parents are Korean, but I was born and raised in Sydney. I moved here for college. I’m taking music and arts as my majors. I’m single. I like to draw, paint; and basically do anything related to that. I also sing as you may already know.” She smiled proudly like a little kid.

 

I noticed she patterned her answers to mine a while ago.

 

Now that she’s sat next to me, I noticed that she took her jacket off. The sleeveless shirt she’s wearing exposed her arms. It’s the first time that I’ve seen her like this. She always wears coats or long puffy jackets to combat the cold.

 

Chaeyoung has various tattoos ranging in different sizes and themes. The one that caught my attention was the large tattoo that covered the expanse of her upper right arm to her shoulder blades. At the centre of it all is a flower. That looks to be a recurring image since I also see small flowers on her fingers.

 

”I like your tattoos.” Chaeyoung lit up from my compliment. ”Thanks, I got some of them out of impulse though.” She scratched the back of her neck.

 

”They all still hold some kind of meaning, right?”

 

She nodded, ”They’re reminders.”

 

I furrowed my eyebrows, ”Reminders of what?”

 

Chaeyoung seemed hesitant to answer but still chose to. ”Reminders of the people that I used to ‘date’. ” She made air quotes on the word ’date’.

 

”If you don’t mind me asking, how many people have you ’dated’.” It’s not that I’m trying to pry, I’m just plainly curious.

 

”There’s only one that was pretty serious. The others didn’t really work out.” I sensed her mood shift as she downed her drink. I suddenly felt bad for asking.

 

”It doesn't have to work out every time. You’d already be married with your first if it did.” I tried to reason.

 

She just snickered bitterly.

 

I didn’t know what else to say, so I just sat there, mute. After a few minutes of silence, she stood up. ”I’m going to get another drink. Do you want anything?” I shook my head.

 

She nodded in acknowledgement and left.

 

I started to think about our short conversation. The topic of relationships is a sensitive one for her, noted. I don’t know whether it’s because of her that they don’t work, or she’s just been ty at picking people to date. I hope it’s the latter. Chaeyoung doesn’t look like someone who could hurt a person.

 

I stood up and leaned on the rail overlooking the first floor. I could see Chaeyoung’s friends gathered in the centre having the time of their lives. Somewhere in the crowd, I spotted Sana behind Dahyun. She’s really trying her best to get the poor girl’s attention.

 

My eyes wandered around the packed club. Located at the other side is the bar. Chaeyoung is sat on one of the stools when a girl approached her.

 

They talked for a while, then suddenly stood up. The girl pulled Chaeyoung somewhere out of my line of sight.

 

”There she goes again.” I looked to my right and saw Jungkook holding a glass of what looked to be whiskey. He also had his eyes cast down on everyone below.

 

”What?”

 

He turned to me and sipped from his glass. ”Chaeyoung left you here and agreed to hook up with that girl.”

 

I turned to where Chaeyoung sat before she was escorted away.

 

”Look, Mina, I see that you’re a nice girl. You're the type of girl I’d want for that little tiger. But she’s stubborn, she makes herself believe that things will never work out for her. Dating wise, that is.”

 

I stared back at Jungkook, confused as to why he’s telling me this. ”I’m not following.”

 

He sighed, ”I can see that you like Chaeyoung. From the limited interactions you’ve had, so does she. The problem is, she doesn't want to acknowledge it. I’m asking you to be patient with her.” He paused, looking at me, waiting if I would say anything.

 

When I stayed silent, he continued. ”I’m not telling you to condone her sleeping around. If she has you as her companion, her friend, she’d stop. She gets nervous around you though, that’s something that needs some working on. I’ve been keeping her down most of the night but I decided to finally make you guys talk when everyone else left.”

 

”Well we didn't get to do much talking. I’m sorry for wasting your efforts.”

 

I tried to digest whatever Jungkook told me. A lot of things ran through my mind but at the forefront of it all is Chaeyoung, and how I have to know where she is. I ran down to look for her.

 

One thing to know about me is that I’m a fixer. I am instantly drawn to people with baggage. It’s wrong on so many levels, but that's how I am. I feel like I’m obligated to help them once I know about their ’situations’.

 

I first tried squeezing my way through the mass of bodies on the dance floor. I saw Sana still glued to Dahyun’s side.

 

”Hey! Have you seen Chaeyoung?” I shouted so that they could hear me above the loud music.

 

”No. Wasn’t she with you at the table?” I shook my head and left them.

 

I found Lisa and the others in the midst of the crowd. ”Have you guys seen Chaeyoung?”

 

”I saw her in the hallway by the back. Just go straight from the bar.” One of the guys named Yugyeom pointed to the direction of the side of the main stage.

 

I started to walk there when I suddenly felt someone pull me back by the arm. ”Where do you think you're going.” Jungkook followed me down.

 

”I’m looking for Chaeyoung.” I tugged my arm from his grip.

 

”That’s not a good idea right now.”

 

I crossed my arms, ”How so?”

 

”Chae left because she didn’t want to be seen. She’s sorting herself out.”

 

I snorted, ”She sorts herself by sleeping with people? That’s quite a habit.”

 

Jungkook sighed, trying to think of the right thing to say. ”I asked you to be patient with her. So please, be patient with her.” He stared straight at me, pleading with his eyes.

 

I looked back at the hallway Yugyeom pointed to where Chaeyoung could be. I took a deep breath and turned back to Jungkook. I walked past him to get back to our table.

 

I spent the remainder of the night sitting there and waiting for everyone else. A couple of minutes past midnight, everyone parted ways. I failed to see Chaeyoung before going home. She wasn’t with Dahyun who went home with Jeongyeon and Seulgi.

 

On the way back to our apartment I kept thinking about Chaeyoung, and the things Jungkook told me. He didn’t say much and didn’t ask for much too. He just asked me to be patient. I can tell that there’s more behind all this, and I’ll make sure to know what it is and help Chaeyoung with it.

 

After all, I am a fixer.