Surprisingly good weather in Melbourne today

Compensate

 

"Dubuuu! Wake up, it's your turn to shower." I said while shaking her awake. 

 

Kim Dahyun, my best friend, was born in a town 30 mins by train from the city. We met during freshmen orientation when she saw me sat outside drawing my surroundings. She complimented on my work and asked if she could accompany me. We started talking and we realized we had classes together. 

 

The perfect thing too was that she was looking for an apartment and I was looking for a roommate. She still lived at her parent's house during that time since classes haven't started yet. The rest is history and I could not have asked for a better companion for the last two years and a half. 

 

I sighed and decided to let her be when I heard persistent knocking from our front door. "I'm coming! Don't get your knickers in a twist." 

 

I was surprised to be greeted with a familiar figure smiling down at me "Good morning sport, missed me?" 

 

 "Jeongyeon unnie, you're early. Come in, Dahyun isn't even awake yet."

 

Yoo Jeongyeon, the only cousin I actually interacted with. Growing up outside of South Korea, my brother and I had a hard time when we'd visit our parent's home country. Even though we spoke the language, it was still difficult to get along with our other cousins. 

 

Luckily Jeongyeon unnie persisted to get to know us better. She'd be the one who would call us out to play and always made us feel welcome. Throughout the years we still keep in touch through social media since we rarely visit SoKor, more so now that I'm not living with my family anymore. So having her here makes me miss home a little less.

 

"That's fine. I didn't really have much to do in my apartment anyway, so I just decided to head out early." She replied before plopping down on our couch.

 

I looked at her confused and asked "Where do you live by the way? I could've helped you unpack." 

 

"I'll take you up on that offer since I still have a couple of things coming in, and to answer your question, I live just a floor above you." Jeongyeon chuckled at the shock expression I undoubtedly had.

 

"Yo- wow why didn't you tell me sooner" I started punching her but stopped when we heard a groan and a groggy "Oh hey good morning Jeongyeon unnie! It's nice to see you again." 

 

"Hey there Tofu, shower quick I'm buying you guys brea-" Jeongyeon didn't get to finish her sentence cause Dahyun decided to jump on her and kiss her face while saying "FREE FOOD" over and over again. She released Jeongyeon unnie and ran to the direction of our bathroom. Once she was gone we burst into laughter at her random antics.

 

 

——————

 

 

"Alright you munchkins, where do we go first?" Jeongyeon wrapped her arms around both of us when we stepped out of our apartment building. 

 

I elbowed her side, "First of all rude, second that little cafe across the street has the best strawberry latte and waffles to die for" I commented and Dahyun chipped in by saying "and the owner's hot, you'd hands down like her" With that we dragged Jeongyeon unnie to our breakfast spot this morning. 

 

Entering the quaint restaurant, we were greeted by the delicious smell of bread. Various pastries and sandwiches lined the glass display case. The place housed all kinds of vintage memorabilia; old records, cameras, magazines, telephones, a lot of things here are old (just like the owner). It's the perfect cafe aesthetic if you ask me. We were looking around for a table when the owner walked up to us. 

 

"G' morning munchkins aaand-” She looked behind us ”a pretty girl! How may I help you this fine morning?" 

 

"A table for three would be swell Nayeon unnie!" I replied and suddenly felt someone whack me in the head ”Hey! What was that for” I turned my head only to see Dahyun laughing her off and Jeongyeon with her hand up in the air. 

 

”How come she can call you that without getting elbowed? Now my side hurts.” Jeongyeon started to rub her waist with a pout. ”She also called you pretty.” I retorted back which made her blush and look away. 

 

Nayeon chuckled and led us to a booth by the window. 

 

Im Nayeon, born and raised here in this city, owns a cafe just across the street from our apartment building. It opened over a year ago after she graduated from business school. Since it was very convenient for Dahyun and me, we'd have breakfast here most mornings. We sometimes also just grab a table and do our school work here, enjoying the quiet vibe the cafe emits. 

 

Being frequent customers we soon grew close with Nayeon. She became like an older sister to us, and by that I mean she would nag and tease us whenever she could. She cared for both of us and even helped me during troubling times. Even though she may be obnoxious and loud on the outside, we know that deep down she really does think of us as family. 

 

"Would the two of you have your usual?" Dahyun and I nodded, she then turned to Jeongyeon who was still blushing and asked: "How 'bout you sweetie?" Jeongyeon shook herself and replied with a shy "chicken n waffles please, and coffee" before turning her head to look out the window. 

 

"Alrighty, I'll be back in 15 minutes with your order." Nayeon then smiled and left us. Dahyun turned to Jeongyeon and saying "I told ya you'd like her." We both laughed at my cousin's blushing face. 

 

 

——————

 

 

"Now that breakie is done we shall now proceed to the first destination of this once in a lifetime tour of Melbourne by yours truly, the Dubs." Dahyun dramatically said as she led us up to the tram station that we're going take to get to our destination. 

 

It was a short journey to get to our first stop, which houses open space artworks. It’s an alley open to all to see and appreciate the beauty of street art. 

 

Every time I come here the walls would look different, it being repainted over and over again gave it a more vibrant look with all the overlapping colours. Tourists and locals alike would come here to see if certain works have been replaced with new ones. 

 

"Woah this is so cool" Jeongyeon exclaimed as we walked up the alleyway. "Right now we are in Hosier Lane, a place for open space arts. Works have been here since 1998..." Dahyun explained like a tour guide. As she was rambling on about the history in this place, something caught my eye. A familiar-looking girl was walking to my right. I noticed that she's accompanied by another girl with fiery red hair.

 

They were taking pictures together, and laughing with whatever the other said. The two girls both looked around in wonder and amazement. I stopped staring at them when I heard Dahyun calling my name. "Let's head to the river." We then started walking to get down to the riverside. 

 

Strolling around downtown Melbourne in the morning has its charm. The way people would speed around trying to get to their class or work on time pushes you to keep up with the pace. For tourists walking around, they might feel overwhelmed. 

 

Though right now, with the chilly breeze of early July, everyone is unusually calm. The quiet rush of the river mixed with the chatter of people we walked by created background noise to accompany us on our early morning stroll. The weather is also surprisingly calm, for Melbourne standards, with the sunlight streaming perfectly to battle the cold. 

 

 

------------

 

 

We've already gone around the city, visiting touristy places and some hidden gems here ’n there. Our last stop for the day is the beach. Easily accessed from the city, many locals frequent them to get their tan on no matter the weather as long as the sun is out. 

 

Here I am yet again, but unlike yesterday, I didn't come here to find some peace and calm. I already feel peaceful and calm. I feel calm like the current of the ocean, the pace of this morning's rush, and the motion of the wind. 

 

Looking at the sunset with two of the most important people to me struck chords within my heart. I hear melodies from the crashing waves accompanied by sharp tunes by the streaming sunlight. This is how I always want to feel, how I want to live. 

 

 

———------

 

 

We got back to our apartment later than expected cause Jeongyeon insisted that we visit Nayeon unnie’s cafe again. They hit it off right away and started bickering like an old married couple. It was both amusing and strange to see. It was as if they already knew each other for a long time. 

 

We stayed there until after it closed. Nayeon would tell stories about the dumb things Dahyun and I have done and how she needed to save our asses. Jeongyeon told stories from childhood, like the first time we met or that one time she got kicked by a horse in the leg. It was a great way to end the day, we all had smiles on our faces as we parted ways. 

 

Even though we were out and about all day, I didn't feel tired. There’s one thing I do when I can’t find the will to sleep yet, and it’s to draw. 

 

I went into the spare room that we transformed into a little studio where I have paintings and drawings everywhere. I sat down on my desk and pulled out the sketchbook I’m currently using. It’s filled with random images, some realistic and some are more abstract. 

 

My hand started to work, the pencil etching itself on the paper. I wasn’t quite sure what I was creating. The picture started with walls, then people, and once I finished I took a deep breath. The blank page came to be a representation of a memory. It showed the girl that I saw this morning. 

 

Even with her back turned, she still looked attractive. She exudes elegance with the way she dressed and the way she carried herself. She looks so out of place being in that alley with all the loud looking artworks, yet it also looked right for her to be there. Seeing her there was a nice break from looking at all those colours. 

 

I put back the sketchbook to its rack and decided to wash up before I sleep. I peered into Dahyun’s room on the way to my room. I saw that she fell asleep without putting her lights-out, so I turned it off and muttered a good night before closing the door. 

 

It’s Saturday tomorrow which means I don't need to get up early. I did promise to help Jeongyeon unnie with organizing her apartment but sleeping in feels better. I’d just have to make it up to her some other time.