Who knew that seeing someone perform outside of a Daiso could be attractive

Compensate

 

"Mitaaang! Wakey wakey!"

 

I groaned as I heard the excited exclaim of my roommate. I rolled around my bed for a couple of seconds before finally getting up. Checking my phone for the time, it showed '7:34 a.m.' Too early to be awake on a Saturday for me, but Sana wanted to continue roaming around the city before my classes and her internship started. 

 

The moment I stepped out of my room I was welcomed by the inviting smell of miso. This is the only acceptable way to start the morning. 

 

"Good morning Sana-chan. Where are we off to today?" I made my way to the dining table where Sana was already sat with our breakfast. 

 

"I thought maybe we could head out to the flea market. Find things to fill the apartment." She then gave me a serving of omurice while she talked. 

 

Minatozaki Sana's one of two of my closest friends, we grew up together. We were in the same school from elementary up until college. While in university we thought of getting our masters degree in Australia. 

 

A basis for that decision is because the last person to complete our trio moved to Sydney a couple of years ago. 

 

Now you might be thinking "if she's there, then why are you in Melbourne?" Well to answer that, Sydney's a pretty expensive place to live in if you're an international student (it's just expensive, period). Even though both of our families may be well off, perse, it is still considerably cheaper to study here. 

 

"Mhmm okay, sounds like a plan. I have been meaning to but some things for my room." We finished our food and prepared to head out. 

 

 

———

 

 

It's 3:00 p.m. when we decided to go to a dollar store after picking up some things from the market. As we went up the escalator going out to the side street I noticed a crowd forming, and in the middle were two girls. 

 

The girl that's taller than the two had blonde hair, and with her was a girl with short black hair. The blonde took out two guitars and the black-haired girl started setting up their sound equipment.

 

The girl with the guitars brought out a sign that read: "seek help if needed, do not be afraid to go to rehabilitation centres and therapy clinics." A group started cheering for them and both the girls looked up and smiled. 

 

The short girl started strumming a slow and calm melody. The taller one started to strum on her own guitar, but it was faster and more rhythmic. The raven-haired girl then started singing...

 

🎶 Oh, to see without my eyes

The first time that you kissed me

Boundless by the time I cried

I built your walls around me~~🎶

 

Her voice could be described as silvery and modulated. Trapping you in with every word she uttered. It washes over you like a warm familiar hug. I could feel chills running down my spine. It seemed as if everyone watching was suddenly in a trance. None dared to look away and more seemed to be pulled in by the angelic voice.

 

🎶Like Hephaestion, who died

Alexander's lover

Now my riverbed has dried

Shall I find no other?~~🎶

 

I started to admire the girl singing. Her small stature complimenting her sweet voice. She sings with her eyes closed, really embodying the song. She exudes such energy that makes you wonder what lies beneath her words. Every phrase she sings feels weighted, each one holding a certain emotion that makes you feel and not just hear the song. 

 

🎶Oh, oh woe-oh-Woah is me

The last time that you touched me

Oh, will wonders ever cease?

Blessed be the mystery of love ~~🎶

 

I caught her eyes and for a second it was silent as they finished the song, but everyone soon applauded the duo. I was still enamoured by the girl and the performance that I didn't notice Sana calling out my name. 

 

"Hm? What was that?" I broke away from her stare and turned to Sana. "I said that they were amazing right? The girl beside me said that they're college students who're out here every Saturday, same time each week. They seem to be known by a lot of people." Sana said looking back at the two girls.

 

They were now talking with the group that cheered them on. It looked like they were friends and a tall guy with long messy hair pulled the small girl into a hug. 

 

Oh, so she has a boyfriend.

 

I shook away the thought, feeling confused about why I suddenly felt down about the idea. Sana then said that we should head home and with one last glance at the girl, I saw her looking back at me. 

 

———

 

Our last day of freedom was spent sprucing up the apartment. Hanging things here, placing things there. Organizing the place to make it look and feel homier. No surface was left bare with all the various plushies and posters filling up every corner. 

 

Both Sana and I took with us all the things we cherish most from home. We were both sentimental like that. She couldn't sleep without her favourite body lotions and I couldn't sleep without my penguin stuffed toy. 

 

Once we finished, we decided to just stay in and order take away. While waiting for the food Sana suggested that we watch a movie. 

 

”No I don't like that... Not that either... That’s too graphic... That one!... Wait, no nevermind...” It’s been like this for the past 10 mins, me scrolling through the movie catalogue and Sana trying to make up her mind. 

 

-knocking- 

 

”I’ll get it.” Sana stood up from the couch to get our food. This gave me the chance to finally pick a movie and not have her complain. I chose Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban knowing that this is what she secretly wanted. 

 

”Here we are, burger, fries and a ton of ketchup for you; and fish and chips for me.  Oh, Harry Potter!” She placed our food on the coffee table and we started to eat. 

 

Halfway into the movie, my mind began to wander back to the girl we saw. She had the power to make you want to watch her. To know more about her. She showed enough and not too much to make you curious. I don’t know if she has that effect with everyone, but it sure is how I felt.

 

“Sattang, ” She hummed ”what did you feel while watching her?” She turned her head to face me. ”Watched who?” 

 

”That girl we saw yesterday.” At first, she was confused, but soon a look of realization was plastered on her face. 

 

”I felt calm. She had her way to make you pay attention to her.” She smirked at me, ”She was cute too so you could say that I felt giddy.” I shook my head and returned my attention back to the tv. 

 

 

------

 

 

I was just a week and a half into law school but I already felt spent. Everything just started right away. Professors handing in chapter after chapter of literature to read, and things to do due by midterms. 

 

I kept reminding myself that this is what I wanted. I'm not doing this for anyone else but me. 

 

I'm currently reading in the library when a figure stood beside me. I looked up and was greeted with a warm smile from a familiar-looking brunette.

 

"Hi there, I'm sorry to interrupt but all the tables seem to be already filled except yours. I was wondering if I could sit here with you." I immediately nodded, offering the seats. "Of course! Here, lemme just move these to the side." I started to tidy up all the notes and pens I had lying around the table.

 

She sat down and stuck out her hand to me "My name is Lisa by the way, Lalisa Manoban." I shook her hand and introduced myself as well "Myoui Mina. Say, are you a local or ..." I trailed on and she replied, "No, I'm Thai and I’m here for an exchange program.

 

"Oh, how does that work?" She then explained that the university she went to in Thailand had ties to schools here and offers scholarships for "students with exceptional brilliance." 
 

Their words, not ours.

 

"—so it would also mean that I stay at someone's house. I currently live with this Aussie-Korean family that's just amazing and very welcoming. One of their daughters is the same age as me so we get along pretty well." 

 

I perked up with what she said, I vaguely remember thinking that the girl last week looked Korean. Sana also mentioned that she's a college student so my hopes went up pretty high. 

 

"Does she go here too?" I don't why, but I was anxious to know the answer. 

 

"Sadly she doesn't. She goes to another university, the one by the state library." I felt somewhat disappointed but didn't I show it. "She takes musical arts as her major. You might catch her busking in the street with one of our friends." 

 

I got excited again with the information she just gave me. Could the girl be Lisa’s friend? "My roommate and I saw two girls performing about a week ago." 

 

"If one of them had blonde hair and the other had black hair then that's them. I live with the blonde. A couple of our friends would always try to be there when they start their set." She smiled probably thinking about them. 

 

"I'm guessing you were one of those that rooted for them while they were setting up," I remember smiling at their little group watching their friends from the side. I also remember the girl being hugged by that guy. 

 

"So you have seen them. They're great right. Chaeyoung's voice just captivates you and pu-" I interrupted her asking "Chaeyoung?" 

 

"Yah she's the one singing. Well, the one I live with is also named Chaeyoung but we call her Rosé. Funny right, they have the same name." 

 

Chaeyoung. I finally have a name to put with the face and voice that's been bugging me for a week. 

 

I was about to ask Lisa a question about Chaeyoung when she frantically got up. "I'm gonna be late for class! I didn't even notice the time. I'm sorry Mina but I gotta run. Let's hang out some other time yah? Okay, see you around." 

 

She didn't wait for a reply and just took off. I shook my head chuckling to myself. I checked my phone for the time and saw that Sana sent me a text telling me to meet her somewhere for dinner. I replied with a simple "okay" and made my way out of the library. 

 

———

 

It was early Thursday morning when I felt myself wanting to walk around. This then leads me to the beach. 

 

It's a great place to wander around and chill. I also like this particular one because there's something special about it, which is penguins. I love penguins and they happen to have a colony living here. 

 

I first walked along the port, feeling the morning breeze. I could smell the salt in the air, and it made the fatigue from the last couple of days wash away from me. I went back to the beach and decided to sit down, taking in the stream of sunlight to warm me from the winter cold.

 

———

 

A couple of minutes after 10 in the morning is when I decided to head back home and prepare for my only class of the day. The tram stayed in a station longer than usual and some people started to wonder. 

 

We were about to leave when a voice could be heard saying "Wait up!" Luckily the girl caught up and she then started talking to the conductor. I saw him chuckle at what she said and the girl finally got on the tram and then it left. 

 

She was slouched down in front of me trying to catch her breath. "Hey, are you okay?" I asked as I offered her my seat. She straightened up and I swear my heart fell to the bottom of my stomach. It's her, the girl with the black hair and melodic voice. It was Chaeyoung. 

 

"Oh no, no thank you. I'm fine standing up. I just can't believe I fell asleep, now I'm running late to class. The name's Chaeyoung, Son Chaeyoung." She chuckled still breathing heavily.

 

I studied her features. Now that I got to see her up close, I noticed she had a mole below her lip. Dimples also appeared as she talked. Today she had round gold-rimmed glasses on, which she didn't wear when I saw her last week. 

 

I stopped staring and decided to bring it up with her. "My roommate and I saw you perform. You were amazing by the way." 

 

"Now that you mentioned it, you do kinda look familiar. Also thanks for the compliment but I don't think it would've been that nice without Rose's guitar playing skills." She mimicked strumming the guitar with her hands which made me laugh. 

 

The name of a station was being announced which made her look outside the windows. "Well, that's my stop..." She hesitated before saying "Hey could I- maybe — uhm get your number?" I smiled at that and dictated to her the digits.

 

"Myoui Mina." She looked up from her phone with a questioning look. "It's my name." I chuckled at her face, realization printed on it. 

 

"It was nice meeting you, Ms Myoui Mina. I hope to see you around. If not- well I already have your number." She hopped off the train and started running to catch her class. 

 

I started to feel the weight of stress from school being lifted from my shoulders. I sighed of relief knowing that I wouldn't be bugged anymore with finding the mystery girl. I now knew her name and even had her number. 

 

One thing didn't go away though. My curiosity with Chaeyoung seemed to only grow, she isn't just "some girl I saw on the street once" anymore. For now, knowing her name and being acquainted with her would need to suffice. I don't know what it is about her that draws me in, but I'm not planning on pushing away anytime soon.