Doughnuts, nachos, milkshakes, and Elmo

Compensate

 

The weather got extra chilly by the end of July and through the month of August. It’s hard to stay long outside in the cold so I preferred to always head home right after my classes end. I rarely ever got the chance to go downtown. Law school has kept me occupied and I always stay cooped up in my room, studying. 

 

It’s been more than a month since I last saw Chaeyoung. Our paths haven't crossed yet again, and even though I do have the means to contact her, I couldn't bring myself to. Jungkook asked me to be patient. If Chaeyoung wanted to talk then she can come to me herself.

 

Winter turned into Spring. The temperature, though still low, isn’t as harsh as it was before. One can refrain from using padded jackets and layers of long-sleeved clothes. A simple shirt and jacket will do. 

 

Going outside also became a little easier. I decided to check out Queen Vic Market and see what I can buy for our food stock. There are plenty of stalls selling meats, produce, dairy, and seafood. 

 

I have with me now a sizeable amount of goods after looking around for a while. I was paying for my last purchase when someone spoke beside me. 

 

”Do you like doughnuts?”

 

I’m surprised to see a now blonde-haired Chaeyoung, standing so casually to my left. ”Excuse me?” 

 

She chuckled and her lips. ”I asked if you like doughnuts. It’d be a shame to visit QVM and not get some.” Chaeyoung reached her hand out to me. ”Come on.” 

 

I took it and followed her. We got out of the building we were in and stepped out into what looked like a parking lot. Though I could also see other covered areas where fruits, vegetables, clothing, and other things were being sold. 

 

Chaeyoung led me to a white van that had blue letterings all around. On the side, it read: ”American Doughnut Kitchen.” 

 

Chaeyoung went up to the open window. ”A bag of fives please.” She looked small craning her neck and getting on her tiptoes to pay and get her order.

 

She went back to me holding a small white paper bag. ”Do you mind if we sit somewhere for a bit?” 

 

I shook my head, ”No it’s fine.”

 

We walked to a nearby bench under a tree. Chaeyoung took a sugar-coated doughnut and gave the bag to me. I reached in for one. I noticed red oozing out from the bottom. 

 

”Be careful when you bite. The jelly’s still hot.” 

 

I slowly bit into the baked confectionery treat. Cautious with the impending burn from the filling. Once the heat passed, my tongue was greeted by the sweet but tangy flavour. The warmth and softness of the doughnut complimented the additional zest of the jelly. 

 

”Good right?” Chaeyoung pulled out another doughnut from the bag. ”They serve these fresh. It’s made right there in that van.” 

 

We stayed silent for a while, enjoying the treat between us. 

 

”So, how have you been?” 

 

I took my time finishing the doughnut first before answering her. ”I’m fine, busy but I’m doing good.” Chaeyoung pursed her lips and nodded. ”How ’bout you?” 

 

”I signed up for this art project in Sydney.” She her lips. ”It’s like an invitation-only type of thing. College kids all around the county were meticulously selected.” 

 

”That’s great, isn’t it? You get to show your talent. Why do you not seem excited?” She looked more worried than pleased. 

 

”It’s not the first time that I’ve been invited to these type of events. Though I do feel honoured still, I am excited. It’s just where the exhibit will take place that makes uneasy.”

 

I realized I didn’t know much about Chaeyoung aside from the limited things she’s said the last time we spoke. What I do know though is that she’s from Sydney, and this thing happens there. The fact that her home town makes her uncomfortable fills my mind with a thousand questions. 

 

I chose not to entertain any of them though rather, I presented myself as comfort. ”Whatever it is that’s troubling you, know that you can always come to me.” I patted her on the back. ”

 

”You know what they say about strangers, they don’t know who you are or who you’re going to be, they solely judge on what you tell them.” 

 

Chaeyoung stared at me with a small smile on her face. ”I wouldn’t call you a stranger. An acquaintance may be.” She stood up and spun around, ”A barely up there friend.” 

 

She stopped to give me a -eating grin showing her dimples and making her nose scrunch up. ”You’re far from being a stranger.” I could see nothing but sincerity in her eyes. 

 

”You probably need to go now. Come on, let me take you.” I was about to protest, wanting to spend more time with her when I suddenly remembered that I had food with me. Food that needs to be in a fridge, and fast. 

 

We talked about anything and everything on our way to my apartment. I discovered the most random things about Chaeyoung. From her undying love for strawberries, her preference for anything vintage, how she doesn’t like beans, to her affinity for Justin Bieber. 

 

”I see you live not far from your university.” Chaeyoung insisted on helping me take the grocery bags up to our room. 

 

I fished out my keys when we reached our door. ”Thanks again Chaeyoung.” 

 

”No problem. It was nice running into you, ” She rubbed the back of her neck, I noticed that it’s a habit of hers. ”and I apologize for last time. It was rude of me to have just left like that.” 

 

”It’s fine, at least now I know what to be cautious of when we’re together. If I get to see you again soon, that is.” 

 

That immediately brought a smile to Chaeyoung’s face. ”You’ll see a lot of me alright. You might get annoyed of me though if you spend a whole day with me.” 

 

”We’ll see about that.” Chaeyoung laughed. ”Okay then, I best be off now. Bye Minari!”

 

I waved to her retreating figure, pleased by the sudden nickname she had for me. 

 

Hmm Minari

 

 

------------

 

 

I’m riding the elevator, going down Mina’s apartment building. I unknowingly hummed a random tune, feeling giddy. I’m happy I got to run into Mina after a while. I wasn’t really sure if she wanted to talk to me after I basically ditched her and my friends for a random girl. 

 

The elevator doors opened, a distressed-looking Sana who’s engrossed in her phone could be seen. 

 

”Hey are you okay?” 

 

Sana looked at me, momentarily calming down. ”Oh hi Chaeyoung. What brought you here?” 

 

”I ran into Mina and I helped her take home your groceries.” Sana’s attention went back to her phone again. ”What are you doing?”

 

”It’s for my internship. My boss wanted me to interview a bunch of uni students. He, for some unknown reason, specifically wanted music majors.” Sana muttered something under her breath in Japanse, probably words that don’t mean anything nice. 

 

”My roommate Dahyun is a music major. Maybe you can interview her.” 

 

Sana’s eyes looked like they would pop out of their sockets. ”Really? Omo! Thank you so much Chaeyoungie!” She tackled me into an embrace. 

 

I managed to let out a ”no problem” despite the fact that I couldn't really breathe because of Sana’s tight hug. I took a deep breath once she pulled away. ”Here let me give you Dahyun’s number.” 

 

Sana typed in the number I dictated and grinned after. ”What can I do to repay you? Anything, ask me of anything.” 

 

I made it look like I was thinking, but I already had something in mind. ”Can I have Mina’s schedule?” 

 

Sana looked at me to see if I was kidding. When she realized that I was serious she giggled. ”Okay sure.” 

 

We then exchanged goodbyes, Sana getting into the elevator and me out of the building. 

 

There’s something peculiar about the third year of every student’s life. You’ve passed the fear and uncertainty of the first year and the adjustment period of the second. You've got the hang of how things work so assignments and projects don’t feel as heavy. 

 

Or professors might just be taking it easy on you so that you have enough energy to at least stay alive through your last year. But I’m currently a junior, which means I am exactly in that part of my life in uni where you can have some time to yourself. 

 

Because I’m a diligent student who finishes her tasks on time, I have the pleasure to roam around and do whatever. This leads me to where I am right now, waiting for Mina outside her university building. 

 

I asked Sana for Mina’s schedule so that I know when she’s available. I can plan what to do, and it’s easier for me to ask her out without worrying if I might disrupt her in class. 

 

Right on time, people started to pile out. I’d be lying if I said I didn't recognise a few of the faces walking out. I may or may not have been acquainted with them once at some point. I wouldn’t say that I have a habit of ”meeting” new people once in a while, but might Dahyun have different opinions. 

 

I suddenly recalled the time we went to that club with Mina. I said I was going to get a drink, which I was, but things happened and I didn’t get to go back to our table. Since then I’ve been ”reflecting.” I thought about what Mina said. I know she’s right, her point is pretty spot-on, but I still have this fear that one day they’ll leave me anyway. That we’re all just temporary fixtures in each other’s lives. So I end things before they could even think about it. 

 

I didn’t realize that I’ve been staring into nothing until I heard my name being called. ”Chaeyoung? What are you doing here?” Mina still manages to look so elegant and well put even with only a simple shirt and jeans on. 

 

”I came to pick you up! If that’s okay with you.” 

 

I really didn’t think this through, Mina said she’s been busy with school. She could have had something planned already. She could be tired and wouldn’t want to be dragged somewhere by me. Oh man this bad, this is-

 

”Yeah I’m totally okay with that.” Her smile put my worrisome thoughts at ease. ”Have you eaten yet?” 

 

I shook my head, ”No. I thought you’d, maybe, want to have lunch with me.” 

 

”I’d love to.” 

 

I brought Mina to a restaurant in Federation Square. I’m taking advantage of the clear sky today, opting to sit outside in the alfresco. 

 

”Humour me, ” While waiting for our food I decided to strike up a conversation. ”aside from playing video games, do you have any other hobbies?” 

 

”I like to knit.. Create stuff that kind of thing. I also like to swim, so any type of water activity I’d be done to do. I really want to go surfing here when summer comes.” 

 

”New South Wales has better surfing spots. I can take you if you want.” 

 

Woah Son Chaeyoung where did that come from. You couldn't even bring Dahyun to Sydney, and she’s your best friend. What made you say that to Mina so casually? 

 

”You would?” 

 

Mina’s eyes shined so brightly, her smile so wide. The fact that something I said brought out that reaction made me feel a certain type of way. I wouldn’t want to see anything but that look on her beautiful face. 

 

”Yes, I would.” It was barely a whisper. 

 

Our food arrived shortly after. I got the ham and cheese toastie, Mina got the grilled miso salmon, and I also ordered nachos for us to share.

 

I encouraged Mina to tell me more about herself. First things first, I confirmed that she was the girl I saw that time at the beach. She apparently likes penguins very much, very very much. Mina’s also weirdly obsessed with ketchup. 

 

Mina admitted how she can be very competitive. She’s quite athletic too, and it seems like it runs in the family. Her brother is a professional football player and Mina’s mom, despite her age, can still kick it in the volleyball court. 

 

Mina said she likes the thrill of utilizing the body and keeping it active, whether it’s through dance or sport. It gives her a rush that she doesn’t experience from anything else. She’s not very fond of amusement park rides though. The kind of rush from big, fast, and scary rides are a big no-no. 

 

It’s nice talking to Mina. Her voice is soft and easy on the ears. She looked very animated and alive while rambling on about her hobbies and the reasons why she took those as her pastimes. 

 

I could certainly get used to this. 

 

 

------------

 

 

For the past few weeks, I would always find Chaeyoung waiting for me right outside after my classes end. Today isn’t an exception. We’ve created some kind of routine, we would have lunch together on Wednesdays and Fridays or Chaeyoung would take me somewhere new whenever we were both available for the day. 

 

”I’m starting to think that you might not actually be enrolled in uni.” 

 

Chaeyoung pouted, ”I don’t really need to show up to some of my classes unless my professors tell me to.” 

 

We’re walking to my apartment. ”Is that prodigy privilege?” I poked fun at her after knowing how she got invited to the exhibit in Sydney. 

 

I would have never thought that a kid who’s as ambulant as Chaeyoung could stay in a room painting for God knows how long without stepping outside until she’s finished. 

 

”No it isn’t. It just means that I had the units completed last summer between semesters.” We arrived at my apartment. ”Apparently, I can’t continue ahead because of some policy so I have to wait this term out.”

 

Chaeyoung went straight into the living room and laid down on the couch, feet up without taking her shoe’s off. 

 

”Yah! Put your feet down. Weren’t you taught to leave your shoes by the door?” I proceeded to hit Chaeyoung with the pillows making her jump-off. 

 

”Oy Mina! Stop! Ahhh!” Chaeyoung tried to shield herself from my attacks. I chased her around the apartment. Chaeyoung is actually very quick and agile. I could hardly keep up, but I managed to anticipate where she’ll go next so I caught her. 

 

I tackled her to the ground where I ended up on top of her. ”Any last words?” 

 

”Ketchup is gross.” Chaeyoung wiggled herself underneath me, successfully freeing herself. She made a run for the door when it suddenly opened. 

 

Chaeyoung abruptly stopped from running which made her lose her balance. ”Chaeyoungah!” I hurriedly went to her side. ”Are you okay?” I checked her hands to see if anything happened, she used them to cushion her fall. 

 

”I’m fine.” The person that opened the door cleared their throat which made both Chaeyoung and me to lookup. ”Can I join in on the fun or should I go somewhere else?” 

 

Sana stared at us with a teasing smirk. I immediately stood up feeling like I was caught red-handed, but Chaeyoung stayed on the ground. ”Hi Sana, how’d your interview go?” Sana blushed and walked past us to get to her room. 

 

Chaeyoung let out a big laugh and followed Sana. ”I want to hear your side of the story. I reckon it’s funnier the second time around.” She leaned against Sana’s bedroom door. ”I feel like Dahyun left a few details out.” 

 

I wasn’t sure what Chaeyoung was talking about so I asked, ”What’s that about?” 

 

”I helped Sana with a task she was given for her internship. But it seems that people nowadays aren’t as thankful as they were before.” Chaeyoung ticked her tongue and shook her head. 

 

Incident number two happened when Sana opened her door, making Chaeyoung stumble again. ”Seriously, is this how you guys treat a guest.” She stood back up and went to the living room. She sat on the couch with her arms crossed and her lips pouted. 

 

”I can make any girl fall for me in more ways than one, and you know that.” Sana went into the kitchen. 

 

Chaeyoung laid back down like before, but this time she had her shoes off. ”Oh I certainly do, but it seems like Dahyun is an exception.” 

 

Sana looked like she would throw the glass she was holding at Chaeyoung but decided not to. She turned to me and said, ”Mina why is this nuisance here, I’m tired and her presence is giving me a headache.” 

 

I was about to speak but Chaeyoung beat me to it. ”You have greatly benefited from this nuisance. Besides, your boss liked the article. What are you so fussed about anyway?” 

 

Sana took two glasses of orange juice and went out of the kitchen. She sat beside Chaeyoung on the sofa and gave her a glass. 

 

”She’s upset by the fact that Dahyun won’t give her the light of day.” 

 

I sat at the loveseat to their right. Sana took a sip and nodded her head my way. ”Why is your best friend so difficult? I’m nice, I’m pretty. Can’t she see that?” 

 

Chaeyoung placed her glass on the coffee table. ”Oh Sana, has it ever crossed your mind that she may not swing your way?” 

 

Sana mumbled under her breath, ”she doesn’t have to”. 

 

”Okay I’m lost. What happened?” 

 

I didn’t know that the two of them talked, let alone to have a whole inside joke between them. Chaeyoung seemed to take Sana’s flirtation so easily, even biting back with her own retort. It made my insides twist with the unfamiliar feeling of what seemed to be; jealousy? 

 

”Fine, this is what happened, ” 

 

Chaeyoung squealed and sat criss-cross-applesauce on the sofa facing Sana. She looked like an excited kid gazing up to stare at Sana expectantly. 

 

------------

 

Hi Dahyun, thanks for agreeing to do this on such short notice.” Sana sat opposite Dahyun in the cafe where they decided to meet.

 

Dahyun smiled brightly at Sana. ”No problem at all. I’m happy to help.” 

 

Sana held up her hand to order before they started. Sana sat her phone on the table to record their conversation. She pulled out her notebook and a pen and began to ask questions. 

 

Sana listened intently to everything Dahyun said. She admired how passionate the other girl is when it comes to music. Dahyun would keep using jargons, some she explains, the others she forgets to. 

 

It’s fine, Sana would just have to look it up later. The interview lasted for about an hour and a half. The two girls stayed there for a while after and continued to talk. 

 

”So you’re telling me that you're scared of cute puppies but can deal with disgusting bugs?” Sana said in between laughs. ”You’re strange Dahyun-ah.” 

 

Dahyun shrugged her shoulders. ”Living in Australia, you get used to all kinds of nasty, crawly creatures.” 

 

Sana shook her head and sighed. ”You’re weird but interesting, you know that?” Dahyun just smiled back at her. 

 

”That’s why I like you.” Sana bit her lip and stared seductively at Dahyun. 

 

Dahyun cleared and rubbed the back of her head. ”Yeah, uhm, about that, ” Dahyun chuckled nervously. 

 

Sana held Dahyun’s hand that was on the table and rubbed her thumb over Dahyun’s knuckles. ”Yes, gorgeous?”

 

Dahyun pulled her hand back and sat them on her lap. ”I’m not.. I mean I don't.. I uhm.” 

 

Dahyun struggled to word out what she wanted to say. She didn’t want to be rude or offensive. ”Sana, you’re a nice girl, but that’s exactly the thing. You’re a girl.” 

 

Sana cocked her head to the side. ”Yeah, and so? You can just close your eyes.” 

 

Dahyun was confused with what Sana meant by that. ”Excuse me?” 

 

”I said that you can just close your eyes. It won’t be too different. Besides, I'll only use my tong-” Dahyun threw her barely touched milkshake at Sana. 

 

Dahyun stood up and left leaving the redhead stunned and soaking wet. 

 

------------

 

”SHE THREW HER MILKSHAKE AT YOU” ”oh so that’s why you came home brown and sticky” 

 

Both Mina and I spoke at the same time once Sana was finished off her story. 

 

Sana covered her face with a pillow. ”I was so humiliated. I like that place, but now I don’t think I can show my face there ever again.” 

 

”Aw Sana” I hugged Sana, ”if it’ll make you feel any better, Dahyun finished all of the chocolate we had on stock.” 

 

I pulled away to look at Sana intently, ”She only does that when she’s flustered and stressed. She was very worried, she’s positive that you’re mad at her now.”

 

Sana lowered the pillow from her face. ”I can’t be mad at Dahyun. What she did is a perfectly reasonable response to how I acted.” 

 

”Sana’s just not used to being turned down, ” Mina chimed in ”let alone in such dramatic fashion.” 

 

”My dear Sana, there are a lot more out there who’d be very willing.” I patted her on the back ”Let Dahyun slide off the tracks, she has never touched anyone intimately apart from her piano.” 

 

That earned me a slap on the arm from both the Japanese girls. ”What? It’s true.” 

 

Sana sighed, ”I want to at least befriend her, she’s so interesting” 

 

”You can still do that. She won’t hold what happened against you.” 

 

”-ly hot” 

 

Mina and I both turned to Sana, ”Sorry what?” 

 

”Dahyun’s so interestingly hot” Sana stared off into nothing while mumbling inaudible things to herself. 

 

”Uhm Mina, I think your friend is broken.” 

 

”She’ll be fine.” 

 

 

------------

 

 

”Where are we off to today?” 

 

As always, Chaeyoung picked me up from school. It's a particularly warm day so it seems that Chaeyoung ran with the opportunity to wear a sleeveless shirt revealing her tattoos. 

 

”I presume you haven't been to the national gallery, ” We’re in a tram, apparently Chaeyoung’s taking me to go see some art. ”have you?” 

 

”No, I haven’t. Sana and I didn't really have that much time to go around after we arrived. We only had time to buys stuff for the apartment before our commitments started.” 

 

Chaeyoung hummed, we stayed silent until we got off the tram. I’ve noticed how Chaeyoung has been acting a little off for the past few days now. Her smile doesn’t have that same tilt or her eyes wouldn't show as much glint. 

 

”Have I told you that I always come here?” I shook my head. ”I live not far from here, so sometimes I would stop by before heading home. The staff probably already know me by now.” 

 

The National Gallery of Victoria is a simple large brick building. There are fountains on both sides of the entrance. The name can be seen on the lower right side of the building. Before you enter you will see the advertisement banners for the featured exhibition. 

 

Entrance is through a semi-circular opening where inside it you will see glass with water running down from it. You go to the side of the glass to actually get in. As we entered, we are greeted by a massive sculpture of a figure carrying what looks to be a deceased Elmo in a wide-open space with natural sunlight streaming through the glass roof. 

 

”The title’s ‘GONE’, it’s by the famous artist KAWS.” Chaeyoung and I stood in from of the large art piece. ”It’s part of an exhibition he’s doing here in the NGV.” 

 

”It looks amazing.” 

 

”That’s not what we came here for though.” I peeled my eyes off of the sculpture and turned to face Chaeyoung. ”We’re not just here for you to drag me around with you so that you don’t get bored?”

 

Chaeyoung giggled, ”I actually took you here because I want to show you something.” 

 

Chaeyoung lead me to the elevator and pressed the button for level 3. We went to the Contemporary Art section. Peculiar looking pieces with varying styles and techniques lined the walls and pedestals around the room. 

 

We stopped at a painting that showed a depiction of a person with a baby that's being carried away by birds. 

 

”This one’s entitled ’Death of my father’ by Australian artist Davida Allen.” 

 

It’s striking, that’s the first thing that came to mind. The deep blue background with the bold and harsh makes the piece stand out from the other mute coloured works around it. 

 

”It’s an eye-catcher that’s for sure.” I looked at Chaeyoung, ”Is this your favourite?” 

 

Chaeyoung bowed her head down. ”Not really. That’s not why I showed it to you.” 

 

I motioned for her to continue. The atmosphere turned sour all of a sudden. Chaeyoung looked like she’s debating whether or not to say what she was about to say.

 

”The artist created this painting, obviously as the title suggests after her father died.” She paused, huffed bitterly. ”I thought what better way to remember my own father’s death than by seeing an artwork that’s just about exactly that.” 

 

I’m startled by the sudden information from Chaeyoung. Come to think of it, she hasn’t talked about her family that much. In the instances that she did though, it sounded like they were very happy. 

 

”I’m sorry.” I didn’t know what to say so I just caressed her on the back. 

 

Chaeyoung looked back up at me with a smile. ”Don’t be, it happened. We can’t do much about it, right? We just have to accept it and move on.” 

 

The truth is, Chaeyoung isn’t the only one with a deceased parent between the two of us. I lost my mother not long ago, but I don’t have to bring that up now. Right now Chaeyoung needs someone to be there for her, and I’ll be just that. 

 

”People blatantly say to just move on like it’s easy and quick. You will always feel a fraction of pain, but it lessens over time. You slowly understand that’s what I think moving on is. You’re not being held back anymore.” 

 

Chaaeyoung sighed and nodded her head. ”Come on, you still have to see what I brought you here for.” 

 

We rode the elevator back to the first floor. This room looked more relaxed and vibrant than the one we came from. There are paintings on the wall but some of them are on easels. 

 

Once again we’re in front of a canvas. This one’s more colourful than the other, it featured a girl with short hair. She’s wearing a green shirt and a purple choker. Short of orange, blue, red, and other colours surrounded the figure. 

 

”Tell me about this one now.” I gave my full attention to Chaeyoung. 

 

Her gaze darted towards the painting. ”This is a work by a fairly new artist, still pretty unknown. She’s still a student. This whole exhibit is done by students from a local university not far from here.” 

 

I faced the painting once again. ”It’s untitled and it doesn’t say who’s work it is. Do you happen to know who’s the artist” 

 

Chaeyoung turned to me, ”She calls herself Katarina, ” she paused and smiled at me mischievously. ”but her real name is -”