chapter 5: each day we try

the subtle art of finding your missing piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just another day of enduring an unreasonably early morning class with Miss Son. First and foremost, before anything else, Miss Son is the two’s most favorite professor. It's just that her class today is extremely early for a bunch of kids who slept way too late last night due to some random party the university hosted or something along the lines.  

“Yah, Ahn Yujin, why did we even go to that party last night? My head freaking hurts.” Wonyoung lashed out, luckily with the small voice she has only Yujin heard it.  

“Well, uhm, there’s food, and maybe uhm, food again? Yeah? I think that’s that.” Yujin replied avoiding Wonyoung’s glare. She almost snorted on how Wonyoung looks right now. Her hair tied in a messy low-ponytail, white cropped tee and some block joggers. And to be Wonyoung’s roommate means knowing how much she hates looking like this. Especially wearing her dreaded eye-glasses. Though Yujin likes seeing her with it. It frames her already perfectly-sculptured face but mostly because it accentuates her mandu cheeks.  

Miss Son cleared , getting the attention of Yujin who is busy annoying the out of Wonyoung and all the students who sooner or later, would all drop their heads on their tables. Miss Son surely got a very beautiful voice capable of lullabying everyone, but as soon as she spoke, everybody seated still.  

“I can clearly see how you guys enjoyed last night, huh? Miss Im surely deserves a raise; the whole student body enjoyed the party her council organized.” Chaeyoung commented, earning some giggles from her students. “But you all should snap out of your drowsiness for a few minutes, I am about to discuss the details of your final project for junior year.” She smiled. This will be fun. 

“So far, we’ve been exploring every aspect of making a film, for scriptwriting, the pre-production, editing and post-processing. Surely, many of you have already mastered every single one of it. So, for your final project, I want everyone to break away from all of those.” Miss Son stated. The way her students look at her right now is absolutely endearing, their curious eyes and agape mouths.  

“Same as last year, you’ll be producing a short film. One that is organic and raw. Minimal edits allowed. And as always, I want to see everyone’s own touch. The topic would be simple and personal.” She smiled and then said, “The subtle art of finding your missing piece. It can be yours or anyone. A short film about what is missing and the process of finding it.”  

The class cheered, of course it's going to be different and new. Miss Son never recycles ideas.  

“You have the rest of the semester to finish this. I hope everyone will learn something from this.” Chaeyoung smiled, the sweet and sincere one that used to be exclusive for Miss Sharon from the theatre department. 

Yujin knew from the moment she locked eyes with the person next to her during the class, the process of finding her missing piece won't be too hard.  

There is calmness in knowing you are not utterly alone in this world. And there is hope in understanding why. 

“Minju, you know I have way too much space in my apartment, right? I mean, not that I am pushing or pressuring you. But why don’t you move in with me?” Hyewon asked the girl standing in front of the mirror struggling to remove the stain on her dress caused by the i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter