chapter 4: when we fall asleep

the subtle art of finding your missing piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonyoung wouldn’t be awake this early if the ringing of her phone isn't as annoying as it really is.  

“Unnie, it may be a Monday but it's too early. What do you need?” Wonyoung groaned on her pillow. Pursed her lips in annoyance.  

“Get up! We’re treating you for breakfast. Get your up and get ready in 30 minutes, I’ll come pick you up, okay? Love you, Wonnie!” The other line dropped the call before Wonyoung could even complain. Yes, it's very much ing early but the excitement in her unnie’s voice is too noticeable it's hard to let her down.  

And without much energy, she dragged herself out of the room to take a shower only to be greeted with Yujin heavily asleep on the sofa.  

“She must’ve binge-watched something last night to fall asleep here.” Wonyoung said as she fixed the blanket already laying on top of Yujin. Softly ruffling the older one’s hair and mumbling a soft good morning before heading towards the bathroom.  

Not long after, a bunch of honks can be heard obviously signaling the arrival of the cause of Wonyoung’s early morning annoyance. 

“She could’ve just called me or something! The whole neighborhood would be awake by now.” She cursed, struggling to get her white converse on. Quietly hoping that her roommate is still deep in slumber.  

Wonyoung wrote a quick note for her roommate before heading downstairs. “Good morning, Unnie! I’ll be off early but see you in class! Bring me lunch too, please!” 

“Unnie! Unnie! Wait for me!” Wonyoung shouted as she saw Hyewon entering the elevator.  

“Got you, kiddo.” Hyewon answered, patiently waiting for the younger one to get on the lift with her.  

“Why and where are you going this early?” 

“My unnie is taking me out for breakfast, she’s waiting downstairs for me.” Wonyoung responded, fixing her hair on the mirror inside the lift. 

A sly smile painted itself on Hyewon’s face, this morning will get interesting and surprising too.  

History class is never Yujin’s nor Wonyoung’s favorite. It's always the longest class during Mondays and the prof doesn’t seem to care if his students are slacking off and today is not any different.  

“Wonyoungie, how much more till we get out of this class?” Yujin asked, pouting and puffing her cheeks as if trying to deceive the younger one who is evidently trying to listen to the lecture.  

Wonyoung shot her a glare, something Yujin took as an encouragement to annoy her more. 

“Wonyoungahhhhhhhhh, unnie is boreddddddddd.” Yujin said as she played with Wonyoung’s pen. 

“Ahn Yujin, no, the puppy eyes will not work this time, nor the pouts but you playing with my pen is getting on my nerves. So, stop it before I floor you in front of everyone.” Wonyoung eye smiled. “And if you’re that bored, draft a game plan for Miss Son’s rumored final project. It'll be useful.” 

Yujin tried retorting but everything just seems to fade away when Wonyoung smiles at her like THAT. 

“Wonnie, do it again then I’ll stop annoying you.” Yujin expectantly requested. 

“Do what?”  

“You know? The thing? This?” Yujin said as she tried telling the younger one in action what she is talking about. “You know, this!!!!” 

“Oh this?” Wonyoung said, turning to her side and eye-smiling at the older one whose eyebrows are furrowed, obviously struggling to explain. 

Yujin tilted her head sideways, examined the smile the person in front of her was showing. And then she copied it.  

“Wonyoungie, you know you look like a child, right?”  

“Yah Yujinnie! I do not! I am a grown up already.” Wonyoung answered by pouting her lips.  

“Ohhhh Vicky looks like a baby!” Yujin said as she squished Wonyoung’s cheeks before turning in front and opening her binder.  

“I do not!” 

Wonyoung would refuse to accept the fact that she likes it when Yujin asked her things like that or whenever Yujin would compare her to a child. She finds it weird and quite bothersome but she enjoys it nonetheless. Everything. The teasing, the sudden clinginess, the annoyance Yujin embodies or even the serious and heartfelt talks. Wonyoung couldn’t ask for a more reliable roommate. She got lucky with this one, for real.  

“Get home early! I'll see you later Wonyoungie!” Yujin shouted as she bid goodbye to the younger one walking down the street to the café. It's been so long since she last walked home alone. And honestly, though the street is crowded and noisy, it feels a little too empty.  

“Come home early, I miss you already.”  

As she started walking towards the direction of Coral Residences, she noticed how everything is amazingly the same just as it was a few years before. The same old convenience store that sits on the corner of the street. The friendly ahjumma that sells her favorite tteokbokki. The old film studio she used to go to every time her parents will bring her to their work. The daycare Eunbi owns that sits beside the neighborhood’s bakery.  

It's honestly all the same, the only difference is how this path feels more like coming home. How in a short period of time, going home is not as tiresome and lonely as it used to be. How the way home seemed to be brighter and much more distinct. And how the idea of coming home now excites her.  

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter