chapter 1: known

the subtle art of finding your missing piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next three days were spent stacking all the boxes at the empty side of the living room letting it collect dust, settling in her new room or in this case, just basically sleeping because Wonyoung has been working and studying all at the same time. Yujin can’t even get a glance at the ‘cute’ roommate she has. And though they basically have all the same classes, the two would pretend they don’t know each other (mostly Wonyoung), and maybe Yujin is thankful because it is saving her remaining sanity.  

Finally, it’s the weekend. Wonyoung can't escape the unpacking that’s been waiting for her ever since she moved in.  

The sunlight in her room is too much for someone who dislikes morning, but something about this apartment is making her adore the gift of the earth more. Though it has been days since she moved in, the certain feeling of missing your childhood room just hits differently. The pink walls are now plain beige. A bookshelf opposite her bed was missing. The particular monstera by the window was displaced by a snake plant. And the soft yellow curtain is now just boring blinds. And of course, making this home would take so much time, courage and hella energy.  

Wonyoung smiled to herself and pulled the covers off her. The apartment is extremely loud today. And the smell of freshly brewed coffee is overpowering to the sense that its inviting her out in the kitchen.  

“Good morning, roommate! Would you like some breakfast?” Yujin asked the obviously sleepy and tired Wonyoung coming out of her room in her pink bunny pajamas and morning hair.  

Mumbling some inaudible response, Yujin nodded and proceeded in attempting to cook some nice breakfast. Keyword, attempting.  

Whilst preparing their breakfast, Wonyoung looked around the apartment, and for the first time in 3 days, she finally realized how big it actually is. Despite the numerous boxes all piled up in the corner of the living room and the huge- couch in the middle, it still didn’t feel so stuffy and messy. Well, except for the room beside Wonyoung’s. Its ing messy. A nightmare.  

“Uhh, why is her room so messy?”  

“Messy? My room? Oh yeah.” Yujin said. 

“I said that aloud?” Turning her head to the older one in the kitchen with wide eyes. 

“Yes, your thoughts are too ing loud, Wonyoungah. I can hear them from here!” Yujin shouted. 

It's too early to humiliate herself, but here she is, sinking in the couch, hiding her face from Yujin who came from the kitchen just to . 

Well, it's going to be a long morning. 

Yujin has been making — attempting is and will always be the right word, breakfast for the last hour and as expected, she’s failing miserably. 

The pancake batter looks like water sprinkled with flour. Not even the eggs can fix it. And Yujin being herself, would not exert effort to actually try fixing what she is cooking. So, she opted for the best and the nearest option. McDonalds!  

“Wonyoungah, first, I'm very sorry I actually at cooking but I want to make you breakfast because you came home last night looking dead. Second, I know you are ing hungry so let’s go out!” Yujin cheered, looking down at the younger girl lying in the couch. 

“Oh okay, just let me get my purse.” Wonyoung answered.  

Before she could even start walking, Yujin already dragged her to the door and said, “My treat. I got you. We're just getting McDonalds anyway.”  

And Wonyoung can’t complain, not when Yujin is looking at her with those eyes.  

“Did her eyes look this beautiful?” Wonyoung thought, silently this time. Careful not to let the owner of the said eyes hear it.  

Arriving at McDonalds, Yujin reached for the nearest and the brightest spot inside. Of course, it’s going to be by the window.  

“Wonyoungah, what would you like?” Yujin said as she stood up, looking at the younger one expecting for a response.  

“I’ll just get what you’ll order.” Wonyoung answered, avoiding Yujin’s eyes.  

Yujin just shot her thumbs up and danced her way to the counter. Leaving Wonyoung alone in their seat.  

The people outside caught her attention. It’s the weekend, people are supposed to sleep in until the afternoon. But the abundance of faces outside said otherwise. Slowly, she started watching them. A woman in her thirties carrying a kid in a yellow summer dress. Another old couple waiting for their bus. And several teenagers who look like they just finished a marathon.  

“Well, people are actually interesting, huh?” 

Yujin noticed Wonyoung staring at the window. Though Wonyoung’s back is facing her, she can’t help but adore how the younger one looks. Her brown her in natural curls, strikingly adorable pink bunny pajamas and that certain cheeks puffing out.  

“She must be entertaining herself or something, who puffs their cheeks out of nowhere? Really cute.”  

Soon enough, Yujin can hear her order number getting called.  

Upon getting back, Wonyoung’s already waiting fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter