chapter 2: equally alike

the subtle art of finding your missing piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Knowing new people takes time and courage and vulnerability. It takes some embarrassing scenarios, mishaps and what nots. But above all, it takes readiness to open yourself to a stranger.  

Yujin is never one to make friends or mingle and talk to people. She was always alone in her thoughts of overflowing ideas and wunderkind abilities. She was one to enjoy her own company, to enjoy the quietness that forlorn brings and to enjoy the peacefulness that comes with being in your own private bubble.  

She learned that people are scary. That they are unpredictable, selfish and helpless.  

And distancing herself from the crowd is something she mastered long before.  

But after several weeks of being with this roommate really did chang her for the better. 

Because when Wonyoung arrived, she wanted to know her. Wanted to be close to her. Wanted to hear her.  

She learned to want the noise.  

And when Wonyoung came, she’s excited with the idea of going home. 

Yujin’s too timid to acknowledge this change but sure knows how it's swaying her life.  

+  

Yujin came home with a Wonyoung deep asleep on the couch, the television playing some drama in the background. It's obvious that Wonyoung was watching before she dozed off with the way she’s holding the remote control. She smiled at this view. She looks so peaceful, so calm and so comfortable. Never in the past few weeks has she seen her like this. It was always the Wonyoung rushing to work. The Wonyoung blanking out during class. And the Wonyoung that’s too tired to start a conversation with her roommate who always waits for her to come home. 

In the short amount of time they’ve co-lived, both would always make sure to wait for each other to come home. To make sure that the other one is safe and sound. And would always disguise it with wanting to binge watch. But both know it's something more than that.  

“ I'm  afraid I  won't  wake up with your existence filling this apartment. That scares me.”   

Yujin took her time admiring the younger one. Wonyoung scrunched her nose a little or would flutter her eyes every now and then.  

While Yujin is closely admiring her, Wonyoung flattered her eyes open, surprised at the sight of her roommate’s face all too close for her likely.  

“Hi. I’m home.” Yujin whispered as if the sleeping one is still asleep.  

“Well, that’s obvious considering you're really close to me and the smell of the outdoors is filling my nose.” Wonyoung answered while shushing the older one away.  

“Hey! I don’t smell bad!” Yujin retorted. 

“I surely didn’t mention that you smell bad, Unnie. I just simply said you smell like the outdoors, you know.” she teased.  

“Yah! Whatever! I’m gonna go change!” Yujin groaned. “Dinner please! I’m hungry, Wonyoungie!” She singsong.  

Wonyoung can't help but sigh. She thought that moving out of her parents' home will be free from responsibilities, she obviously was wrong. Because Yujin is the embodiment of a responsibility, not that she’s complaining. She enjoys her roommates’ acts and company. It’s surprisingly and annoyingly welcoming. Not to mention also having Yujin’s 5-year-old self that is very much demanding and affectionate. It's as if she set up her own self for something she knew she would learn to enjoy and appreciate.  

Dinners with Yujin means watching her chew her food so slowly to annoy the hell out of you or hear her say s while is full and starts choking out of nowhere. It is laughing until your tummy hurts because she looks stupid. It is refilling her kimchi over and over and over again or stealing all the little bacon pieces on her plates when she’s not looking. It is accepting that her presence is a magic pill that takes away all the weariness from your soul. That if not for her, the apartment would be gloomy because Yujin is the light bulb that brightens up this place.  

And Wonyoung knows she’s warming up all too fast for her liking. Because now, she can't imagine late nights without the other one’s rascality. Because she is certain that getting attached means giving them a bigger portion and a chance to hurt her. And she knows she’s not yet ready to be hurt again.  

“Wonyoungah, how was work today?” Yujin asked.  

“Same same. Still having customers flirt with me every time I take the front and still making Nako unnie worried. You know, same old things I'm too used but too stubborn to act on.”  

Yujin choked on her water when she heard flirting. There's this foreign feeling rising inside her that she can't put a name on. Certain needs to protect or in a much better word, keep her roommate. “Wanna go ask if we can exchange branches? There's like what, three around our campus, I'm sure they can work around it.” She suggested making sure that her voice sounds stern and persevering.  

“Would you take no for an answer?” Wonyoung questioned. 

Yujin puts her thumbs down as she is unable to utter with a month full of food.  

“See! You always boss me around, Yujin unnie.” Wonyoung faked sulked. Hiding the smile and laugh forming on her lips as she watch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter