chapter 3: we belong

the subtle art of finding your missing piece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Miss Yoo’s classes are always the most awaited one. No matter who you ask, it's always their answer. And no wonder because this particular miss is very much loved by everyone, not limited to the film and arts department. You’d always see her roaming around the F&A building with either Miss Im or Miss Son doing absolutely the random-est . And mind you, they are extremely and doubtlessly loud. But everyone loves the trio nonetheless. Aside from being the prettiest professor in the campus (According to Yujin, that is), she’s actually the best when it comes to teaching. And today just proves how unique she is.  

“Good morning everyone!” Miss Yoo greeted the class, her voice echoing through with how hold it is.  

“First thing, no classes today, I’ll just discuss the details of your final project for this year, Second, yall look dead, kids. Rest up. And lastly, don’t curse me for what I am gonna say next, okay?” 

The rest of the class cheered, it's been so long since they were given time to rest, but knowing Miss Yoo, this project she’s talking about will surely take up so much time, energy and effort. After all, half-assed is not in her dictionary. 

Miss Yoo started writing down words on the board with Yujin eyeing to slowly connecting them. 

“Any idea?” The professor asked, turning around to face her students who are already raising their hands, “Yujin! Yes?” 

“A portfolio using a 35mm film camera with only 36 exposures.” Yujin answered, sounding a little unsure while propping a wide smile on her face which made the professor smile back at her.  

“Right! And we have a theme to follow, nerds.” She teased while the students groaned in the background. 

“What would you do if you weren't afraid?” Miss You surprised the class, she never gives themes without indefinite answers. It's always those crystal clear and direct ones.  

“Above all, create images that make your heart go wild—images that make you  feel something . I’ll be expecting so much from my best class. Submission is on the last day of the semester! See you all around!” And with that, she flew out of the room and ran towards the woman at the other end of the corridor.  

“You know what you just gave is really hard, right? I, too, at film, Jeong! And besides, Chae would also give something, and I quote what she said, “ something remarkable, never been done and life opening ” to them too!” Nayeon hissed, clearly concerned with the students that became the receiving end of her best friends' weird and out of this world ideas.  

“They’ll push through, Nabongs. Those kids always do. They are beyond what you see of them.” The younger one replied as she basically dragged Miss Im to the staff cafeteria.  

Yujin nagged Wonyoung as they walk down their apartment. Both have no shifts or classes left and the fact that Miss Yoo gave them free time means going home together and Yujin bothering the younger one. “Wonyoungie, wait for me!” 

Wonyoung has been awake for 24 hours already and the last thing she needs is someone under the name of Ahn Yujin annoying the out of her. Yes, Yujin is her beloved roommate but Yujin stopping every time she spots a dog on the street is making her impatient. Wonyoung speed walked while Yujin was petting a brown golden retriever by the convenience store. A faint smile creeped in when she heard a loud voice asking her to wait up.  

“Loser! Your long limbs are useless if you run that slow, Yudaeng!” Wonyoung chaffed as she run down the street of their building. 

By this time, Yujin is frantically running for her life just to retain the fastest runner title. “I don’t even know why I have to fight for that title when it has always belonged to me.” Yujin said to herself as she pants heavily by the entrance of Coral Residences, eyeing the tall lady smiling ear to ear.  

“Unnie, you look like a loser.” 

“Yah! Jang Wonyoung!” Yujin shouted as she attempted to run after the younger one already standing by the elevator but was stopped by the figure of Hyewon laughing at her. 

“Yujinnie, you look... defeated.” Yujin rolled her eyes at Hyewon and joined the bunny standing inside the elevator. 

“See you later, Hyewonnie!” Wonyo shouted as the elevator doors closed. 

Yujin continued catching her breath as she stood inside the elevator. Wonyoung is hardly keeping the giggles from coming out as she watches Yujin’s undefeated fighting spirit deteriorate.  

“Unnie, do you have any idea for Miss Yoo’s project?” 

“I have, actually.” Yujin responded as she fixed her hair into a messy bun.  

“Well, not that you want to know, but mine would probably be... wonder without any destination.” 

The door chimed signaling it was opening, Wonyoung took Yujin’s hand as she stepped out of the elevator greeted by the huge- mirror with the words “ You look beautiful today. ” painted upon it with pretty pastel colors. The two stood in front and stared at their reflections. 

“ I really want to know what goes on with your mind,  Wonyoung -ah, and oh, you look beautiful today. ” Yujin proclaimed as she pointed at Wonyoung’s reflection before turning to her side and walking to their front door.  

+  

The next few days were pretty much just the same. Home-Uni-Work-Home. And finally, it’s Friday, dinner was just the usual with Wonyoung putting together something edible without starting a fire and with Yujin proudly annoying their neighbors with her weekly karaoke night and this time she’s blasting New Face... again. Wonyoung watches her roommate bob her head to the beat and tire herself out as she dances to the songs she is playing. “Dinner is ready, come here quick if you want to stay alive.” She joked. And of course, for the nth time, Yujin took it seriously, what’s new? She came to the kitchen with the mic still on her hand and a slipper missing. “I'm here!” Yujin laughed as she positioned herself on her seat across the younger one. 

“Thank you for the meal!” The two said at the same time.  

“Wonyoungie, are you free this weekend?” Yujin questioned. 

“Uh, well, except for my laundry, yes I am, why?” The younger munched on her sandwich.  

“Wanna come with me? I’m going down to Daejeon to pick-up some stuff Mom left at my grandparent’s? It’ll be a day trip only!”  

“Sure. I’ll do laundry tonight, what time do we leave?” Wonyoung asked, smiling at her roommate because finally, she’ll be out of Seoul after several years. It's happening. Thank God. 

That night, Wonyoung neatly did her laundry, fixed her room and prepared her things for tomorrow. She seems excited, hopeful and bright.  

+  

Yujin woke up a lot earlier than she planned, though the ride to Daejeon would take around 2 hours, it's still way too early to start preparing. But here she is, standing by the open window, trying to absorb the morning smell that the air is bringing. Maybe the short rain last night refreshed the air because it smells so dewy, crispy and calming. A misty warm feeling travels through the breeze as it comes in contact with Yujin’s nose. She exhaled it hoping it’ll linger a little bit longer.  

“If mornings smell like this every day, I don’t mind waking up extra early just so I can enjoy this with her.” Yujin grinned, little twinkles present in her eyes.  

Unbeknown to her, both of them are enjoying the dewy morning smell together, apart. Wonyoung has this specific longing for early mornings. The world is quiet, far from its normality, and everything else is calm contrary on what’s happening to her min

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter