[city chronicles] kangbi: crazy cakes & where to find them

rocket in my head brings me back to you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Oh. You’re closing already? It’s only 3 o’clock though.”

 

Eunbi who was locking the door of her shop, Oneiric Cakes and Pastries, was startled when she heard someone speak beside her. She looked at her side and saw a gorgeous woman she recognized as one of their regulars, especially on Fridays.

 

The woman looked like she was not any older than Eunbi. She was wearing a smart casual pink dress under her beige coat and two-inch pink high heels with blond curled hair down.

 

“I’m sorry, we have to close early today,” Eunbi answered grimly albeit giving a small smile.

The woman just waved her hands.

 

“Oh, it’s fine. Don’t worry,” she said as she walked away.

 

Eunbi was on her way to the bank with a strong resolve to save her shop from failure. Truth to be told, she was starting to think she was playing a losing game.

 

She’s feeling restless, scared, frustrated—you name it. The sleepless nights she spent thinking about what else she could do to save her shop from going totally bankrupt were slowly getting into her.

 

But she wasn’t about to let those get in her way.

 

Not when she already spent almost half of her life building this dream. She was not about to let the current dilemma she has to take away her years of hard work. No, she needed to find a way out.

 

Eunbi has always been so persistent and strong willed, hard-headed even.

 

She wasn’t born with silver spoon in . She needed to work several part-time jobs just to get through high school and university. Maybe that’s why she became quite skillful. Those became her asset especially when she was forced to stop in the middle of semester on her 2nd year in university to support her younger sister’s studies upon her grandmother’s death.

 

It was quite devastating.

 

The money left to them weren’t enough to sustain her sister’s studies, let alone their daily finances. There were also debts left unpaid and their mother confined in mental institution needed her treatments too.

 

Finding decent job without bachelor degree at that age, although still hard because of the competition in labor market, became easier for her.

 

Good thing, the connections she made from her previous jobs helped her. And of course she had Chaewon and Yena, the close friends she made in university who stayed in touch with her, as her supports.

 

Then her sister ran away from home to be with someone she secretly dated and Eunbi couldn’t help but feel betrayed. At the same time, she felt guilty when she thought of the nights when she felt somehow… relieved.

 

Relieved that the burden she had to carry was somehow lessened and that there was someone else that’s taking care of her sister in ways she couldn’t.

 

Eunbi didn’t get the chance to go back and finish her studies in university because she became occupied with works to support her mother. But that didn’t mean she was anything short in competence. She signed up to various available and affordable workshops and online academy.

 

Chaewon and Yena also invited her to come to their graduation. Seeing her friends with wide smiles written on their face as they went up to the podium to receive their diplomas was one of the happiest and moments Eunbi treasures.

 

Few years later, she was able to save up and start her own business. The profit was enough for her purchase her current place, but right now, it was on verge of bankruptcy.

 

…..

 

The next day, Eunbi got a text from Yena saying she was going to drop by her shop since she was around the area. The shop owner smiled upon reading it.

 

Although the three of them remained close friends, it’s a little bit hard for them to meet often because of their hectic schedules at work, especially Yena who works for film production firm so times like this was something she was always looking forward to.

 

It was around 5 in the afternoon when Eunbi heard her friend’s dramatic entrance. Yena loudly clapped her hands to get her (and the other two customer’s) attention.

 

“Pave way for one goddess blessed this place a visit,” Yena declared playfully as she entered.

 

Eunbi who was helping the part-timer cleanup the counter looked at her and playfully acted like puking. The two friends laughed at themselves.

 

“Oh. You know her?” the woman with Yena asked.

 

Without waiting for the other’s response, she nudged Yena towards the table, just when Eunbi noticed her. It was one of her regulars, the one she saw yesterday. This time, she was wearing a beige pants suit and white office blouse with her hair tied up in pony tail.

 

Goodness, she was so gorgeous.

 

Far from the other woman’s seemingly formal attire, Yena was just wearing cargo pants and white plain shirt under her greenish over the top. Not that attires matter in her work anyway. She could wear her monk pajama and no one would care about it.

 

Eunbi walked towards the table of the newly arrived women. They looked like they were bickering about something Eunbi didn’t really care about.

 

The shop owner playfully smacked Yena as she took a seat across her.

 

“Unnie, don’t do that again! I still need my last three brain cells to function properly, goodness,” the duck like woman said playfully, making her chuckle.

 

Eunbi turned her attention towards her regular customer every Friday.

 

“Oh, right! This is Kang Hyewon. And Kwangbae, this is Eunbi-unnie,” Yena introduced the two.

 

The two just bowed at each other politely and said their soft ‘Nice to meet you’.

 

“So, just order anything. It’s on the house,” Eunbi offered, which of course Yena and her friend gladly did.

 

Eunbi and Yena started catching up, with Hyewon occasionally joining or giving remarks. The woman gave most of her attention to the cake in front of her (and maybe occasionally staring at the beauty across her too).

 

The conversation shifted from topics to topics until they touched the topic about the shop.

 

“So yeah, this shop is in verge of bankruptcy,”Eunbi imitated the sound of popping bubble, Bye years of hard work.”

 

“Well, it’s about time. That’s kinda expected, to be honest,” Hyewon said nonchalantly, earning her a blank look from Eunbi and clueless one from Yena. The duck like girl nudged her when she noticed the dark aura looming over Eunbi.

 

Hyewon just shrugged. 

“Well, your menu already screams bankruptcy.”

Eunbi raised her eyebrow at this, “And why is that?”

 

Hyewon put the fork she was using down as she leaned to the table.

“First of, for a medium-sized shop like this, it’s a little too ambitious to make 12 flavors of cakes available everyday not mentioning the other treats that you have. It’s not that you have a whole bunch of daily customers, anyway. You spend more than you earn.”

 

“But I have some customers who expect those cakes. They were really happy when they were able to eat those, and I’m not about to take that away from them. Cakes are supposed to make people happy.”

 

“I understand you being sentimental about this, Eunbi-ssi. I love cakes too, obviously. But this is business. You cannot let your sentimentalities alone to take over.”

 

“Second, the overall atmosphere here is a little bit… Hyewon paused to think of the right term, intimidating. The interior screams ‘formal’ with exclamation mark, it feels like people entering that door needs to be all timid and polite the moment they landed their feet inside,” she then turned to the other two people inside the shop.

“Right?” she asked to prove her point. They nodded warily.

 

“Third, there’s nothing really special about your cakes, like they’re somehow delicious at some extent but there’s nothing more to it. And to be honest, this, Hyewon held up the cake she was eating, tasted very artificial. Who made this?”

 

Eunbi shrank at her seat, “I did.”

 

The pastry owner sighed.

 

“It’s not really my forte to bake something like this and the main pastry chef quitted yesterday- received an offer from much better shop so….” She said in defence.

 

“Then why did you even baked it?” Hyewon frowned. And oh, believe me it is fine. His cakes were over-baked and dry, anyway,” she added.

“Over-baked and dry, seriously?” Eunbi raised her eyebrow again, feeling the need to defend the former employee.

 

“Yes. Like, for a minute or two. He’s a little bit ambitious on his attempts to bake particular kinds of cake. It’s funny how you don’t notice that. Cake mixture, heat and time were very important to achieve the perfect texture. Some cakes are sensitive, mess up one of those and you’ll ruin it whole.” Hyewon calmly and continuously said without stuttering.

 

She sounded every pro.

 

“Kwangbae, Yena put her right hand in the air for a high five, I honestly don’t understand what you guys are talking about but woah, you sounded cool.”

 

“I do, right?” Hyewon said as she met the other girl’s hand, then she turned again to Eunbi. Fourth, I don’t think the current service, products, and interior of this shop gave justice to its name, Oneiric Cakes and Pastries. It’s very… blah.”

 

“If you’re that good then what don’t you take over and become the pastry chef instead, tsk.” Eunbi aggressively said.

 

Don’t take her wrong.

 

She’s someone who takes criticisms into consideration. But hearing a stranger- who didn’t have any single idea of what she had gone through for this shop, point out every little thing she had missed hurts her ego.

 

Unfortunately for her, Hyewon didn’t seem to get the memo. It was like she didn’t really notice that the shop owner got a little bit offended. She was used to being frank and honest all her life, so used that she didn’t have any problems speaking her mind out even when talking to strangers. Hyewon herself prefers having people talk to her frankly so she didn’t really given it much thought, that she’s somehow able to offend someone. It was something she was still working on.

 

“Should I?” Hyewon asked innocently. Maybe I really should, right?”

 She turned to Yena who was frozen because of the tension she felt between the two. Hyewon stood up and gathered her things.

 

“I need to go now to make some calls. It’s about time I quit my job, it was getting a little bit boring. I’ll come back tomorrow with my resume, see you then Eunbi-ssi. Call you later, duck,” Hyewon happily hummed as she skipped her way out of the door leaving the other two girls stunned.

 

Eunbi was the first one to snap out it. She cleared .

“Your friend,” she turned to still stunned Yena who almost drooled before snapping out of it. She’s a little bit…”

 

She wasn’t able to put it in words but the duck like girl completely understood her.

 

“I know, unnie. I know,” Yena said while nodding in agreement.

 

…..

 

Hyewon might be a little impulsive sometimes-- she was known for that, and honestly, it was working out really well for her so far. Months after her impulsive choice to quit her previous work to be the main pastry chef of Oneiric Cakes and Pastries, the shop recovered and was now back to being stable.

 

It was really a good thing that Hyewon has a background in business management because that really helped Eunbi big time. Eunbi relied a lot to Hyewon especially when it deciding for the shop. Thus, they also established a bond and became friends.

 

They started fixing the menus, they made schedule on what flavors would be available for particular day. They also renovated the shop and made it look more youngster, friendly, and relaxing at the same time.

 

She and Hyewon became business partners too as Hyewon decided to invest in the shop upon its recovery.

 

Hyewon became acquitted to Chaewon too, who was busy sulking in front of them. They were already cleaning up for the closing when Chaewon came. She was making heavy sounds as she step on the floor, showing how upset she was.

 

She started ranting about her current company as soon as she sat at the chair she pulled.

 

“UGH. Seriously, what’s wrong with those people? ‘It looks too realistic’ blahblahblah,” Chaewon ruffled her short hair in frustration. “Is it my fault they can’t keep up with my style? Like, it’s sooooo frustrating!”

 

“You did this?” Hyewon asked Chaewon who was still sulking.

 

“Yes,” she snatched the realistic mini sculpture of a cat from Chaewon and threw it to the trash can near the counter. It doesn’t matter anymore. I’m going to quit!” she then stormed out of the shop.

 

There was a light bulb. Hyewon suddenly had an idea.

 

“I don’t know about you but I think you should bring Chaewon in,” Hyewon said.

 

Eunbi looked at her confusedly, “what?”

 

“Remember when I said there’s nothing more to your cakes other than being tasty at some extent something something?”

 

The short haired woman nodded.

 

“I think I found a way to fix that.”

 

Hyewon slowly smiled.

 

“Let’s make crazy cakes.”

…..

 

As Hyewon anticipated, their crazy cakes became a hit, especially for those who give much importance to parties. Their hyper realistic and customized cakes dramatically increased their profit.

 

But of course, it resulted to several sleepless nights to finish those cakes especially for Chaewon who does the magic. She majored in fine arts during university days but coloring something edible using almost unfamiliar coloring materials were a whole new territory so Eunbi signed her up first on several workshops. It was proven to be a good decision because Chaewon came back with new expertise they were now using as asset.

 

They decided to hire at least two more people to appease the burden for the rising demand.

 

Yena recommended the cake artist she met at one of the sponsored events their firm held, Yujin. They quickly clicked so they kept in touch. Yena found out that the younger was having a hard time finding a new job after the shop she was in closed around the same time she found out that Eunbi was looking for additional staff.

 

They also hired Hitomi to ensure that the regular operations of the shop will resume even when they were working on the ordered cakes.

 

They didn’t really have a hard time adjusting to their new work dynamics as all of them got along well with each other.

 

This was why they were celebrating another success of their shop. Months of working together, they became really close that they could easily banter with each other. The five people behind Oneiric Cakes and Pastries with Yena, as their honorary member, decided to spend the night at the bar called 12th Street.

 

This bar was famous for having different themes per week. This week, it looked very sophisticated and relaxing at the same time. The lights were nicely dimmed and there was an indie band playing at the small podium.

 

Yena was quite shocked when she recognized the owner of the voice singing- it was the ‘evil staff writer’ she was always ranting about. She became quiet looking at her with sulking expression until Chaewon nudged her.

“Yah. What’s with that face, Ori?”

“That’s the evil staff writer I was talking about,” Yena pouted as she gestured to the one singing at the stage.

“Oh? She’s… cute and she has a nice voice too.” Chaewon looked at the podium.

“You have a nice voice too,” Yena mindlessly said.

 

Eunbi, who was in mood to tease, heard her.

“Is that why you had a crush on Chaewon?”

 

The six of them continued bantering, teasing and laughing until they decided it’s time for them to go home. Yena drove Yujin and Chaewon home since they have the same route. As cliché at it sounds, it was Eunbi and Hyewon that shared the same route so the latter drove the shop owner home.

Meanwhile, Hitomi waited for them to drive away before walking. She lives on the shared apartment two blocks away from the bar. Yena offered her a short ride but she refused since she wanted to walk to sober up, and maybe enjoy the view of the lit up street.

 

….

 

Eunbi opened the door of her apartment unit. She ushered Hyewon to come in. Eunbi insisted for the younger to stay the night at her apartment since it was really late and she wasn’t so sure if Hyewon could actually drive a little more.

 

She was that worried the other would fall asleep while driving.

 

 

But seeing the younger inspect the wine in her hand made Eunbi think again.

 

She gestured Hyewon to follow her to the kitchen when they entered the house. Eunbi was getting some glasses from her cupboard when Hyewon saw the bottle of wine on the counter.

 

“Hey, we don’t have work tomorrow right?” Hyewon’s eyes were sparkling as she looked at Eunbi, back to the bottle.

 

Eunbi sighed and rolled her eyes as she got what the younger was implying. She returned the regular glasses she got from the cupboard and got two wine glasses instead.

 

“Here,” she put their wine glasses down the counter.

 

Hyewon started pouring the wine into the glasses.

 

“Where’d you even get that? I rarely see this brand these days,” Hyewon felt the liquid flow through , I missed this.”

 

“Really? I just got it from the owner of 12th Street.” Eunbi casually answered.

 

Hyewon wandered around the living room. The few small framed pictures Eunbi hanged on the wall caught her attention. She took the liberty to look at them closer, genuinely curious at how younger Eunbi and her family looked like.

 

She saw pictures of Eunbi with Chaewon and Yena on their university days, and the picture taken at the two younger’s graduation.

 

They looked so happy.

 

There was also a picture of the three with wacky pose in front of the newly opened Oneiric Cakes and Pastries.

 

Then she saw the high school version of Eunbi with her pink hair.

 

Hyewon chuckled.

 

It would have been nice to meet pink-haired Eunbi.

 

Then her attention was diverted to the only family picture hanged.

 

One, she assumed as her grandmother. The other woman was Eunbi’s mother judging from the way they resembled each other. Then there was one younger girl.

 

Hyewon was startled as she heard Eunbi talked beside her. She didn’t notice the older’s presence earlier.

 

“That’s my younger sister.”

 

Hyewon looked at her, “where is she?”

 

“Honestly? I don’t have any idea. She ran away from home months after grandma died,” Eunbi solemnly said.

 

It felt nostalgic to look at the pictures of her family she used to have.

 

For years, she had become independent that she became so used to being alone. Eunbi almost forgot how it felt to have people she can call as family if it wasn’t for her friends.

 

“My sister,” she said still looking at the picture as she sipped her wine. I never looked for her again. I even felt a little relieved when she ran away. I’m horrible older sister, right?” she chuckled bitterly at herself.

 

Hyewon looked at her before turning to the picture again.

 

“I don’t think so,” she turned to the short haired woman, “It must be very tough for you.”

 

She put their glasses down the nearest coffee table before pulling Eunbi for a tight embrace. Hyewon gently drew circles on her back as the other snuggled closer. For the first time in years, Eunbi felt like she was finally allowed to breakdown and put her strong façade aside just for a moment.

 

She didn’t noticed the muffled sobs she was letting out as the tears she had prevent from coming out for years started flowing through her cheeks, wetting Hyewon’s shoulder.

 

They just stood there for a moment until Eunbi calmed down. Hyewon cupped Eunbi’s face and wiped the remaining tears on her cheeks using her thumbs. She then guided Eunbi to sit in the couch near them.

 

“Tell me more about you,” Hyewon said as they comfortable sat on the couch.

 

“What do you want to know about me, Kang?”

 

Maybe it was the alcohol that made the atmosphere between the two quite sentimental. But Eunbi didn’t really care that much. She didn’t really mind opening up to Hyewon.

 

“Everything about you interests me, Miss Kwon. I would love to know anything about you that you’re willing to share with me,” Hyewon said looking directly at her, “even as random as how many times you’re actually washing that cardigan,” she ended with a tease.

 

Eunbi snorted. She playfully shoved Hyewon.

 

“Well, I originally wanted to be a singer when I was younger.”

 

Hyewon chuckled, “no wonder”.

 

“What?”

 

“No wonder you always look like waiting for background music every morning when you’re wiping the windows up.”

 

Hyewon laughed and this earned her a playful slap in her arm.

 

“Yah.”

 

“Okay, fine. I’ll stop. Go on, continue. What happened?”

 

“Well, it was my mother’s birthday. She used to love cakes very much so my father bought one,” Eunbi gave a pregnant pause.

 

Hyewon just hummed for her to continue.

 

“Then he was hit by a car on his way home. He died and my mother was beyond devastated. It triggered something inside her so she needed to get her treatments. My sister and I were left with my grandma,” Eunbi took a deep breathe.

 

Hyewon just held her hands and drew comforting circles using her thumbs.

 

“So yeah, things happened after things then boom. I wanted to have my own shop and I have it now- well until now because of you,” Eunbi looked at Hyewon.

 

“Thank you, Hyewon-ah.” She smiled softly towards the blond.

 

Hyewon was looking intently at Eunbi’s eyes down to her lips. It was so int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter