Chapter 6

Real and not Pretend : Book 3 — New Beginnings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The continuous ringing of Jennie's phone woke her up. She blindly reaches out for her the device that's placed somewhere near her, once she got a hold of it, her eyes had to squint to see who would call her in such wee hours — literally just 5 in the morning.

She even forgot that she is sleeping with someone until she heard a groan and movements behind her, that's when her brain finally reboots and she had to turn around. The ringing then ends by that time.

 

"What time is it?" Lisa says, in her husky morning voice.

"5 o'clock."

Lisa turns her body around to face Jennie with her sleepy eyes. "A call at 5 in the morning? Whew that's early."

"I'm sorry, please go back to sleep."

She could hear Lisa sigh, blinks several times and looks at her once again. "I forgot to text Chaeng again. So I probably nee—"

Lisa's word got cut short when Jennie's phone goes off again. "You should answer that." 

 

Jennie stares at the caller ID once again and had to frown, it's from one of their on-duty residents so she immediately answer the call. "Hey Cameron. What's happening?"

"Good Morning, Doc. I'm sorry for waking you up this early but we need your assistance in the emergency room."

Her adrenaline immediately kicks in as she sprung out of the bed, obviously surprising Lisa who then took a sit — with a part of the comforter covering her upper body. "What's happening?" Jennie replies.

"We got a patient who got involved in a hit and run accident. He's severely injured including his legs, Doctor James is already on his way for possible brain surgery. Doctor Green is already in the emergency room to do the assessment while we're prepping the patient up for the table." 

While she's listening to the report on loudspeaker, Jennie is pacing back and forth whilst wearing new clothes. "Okay. I'll be there in 15 minutes."

"Got it, Doc. Drive safely."

It didn't even take her more than three minutes to finally get ready, screw shower, she'll have that later. She grabs her phone and purse and was about to tell Lisa that she can leave whenever she wants only to see the latter already dressed too.

"Come on, I'll give you a lift. We should be there in less than 10 minutes."

 

Not the right time to question nor decline the offer when there's a life on the line, Jennie nods and both of them jogs their way down to the drive way. And just like what Lisa said, the drive was quick and they're already in the area. Jennie bids Lisa a quick "Thank you. I'll see you at lunch with the other two." before running straight to the emergency room.

 

 

After 4 grueling hours on the operating table, the surgeries were a success. The patient was lucky enough he was sent to the hospital by a concerned citizen rather quickly because if not, he would've not make it. Jennie and her other fellow attending surgeons specializing on different fields had to resuscitate the patient at least 3 times during the entire span of the surgery. His heart is collapsing due to the extend of his injuries.

After stabilizing him, she went out of the operating room heading straight towards the disinfection area to remove and dump her used surgical PPEs. The head doctor of the operation was not her so she's not required to relay the good news to the family and friends that are sitting and waiting anxiously outside the room.

 

Jennie was supposedly on her day off (though Doctors don't really have it) but when emergencies such as this happens, she's always the first one to contact. Not only because she lives closer to the hospital but also because of her current medical reputation. 

You see, Jennie won't be getting any awards and recognitions if she isn't worthy of them. Jennie's success rate is much higher than any podiatrist in the country due to the fact that Jennie's patients are all on almost one hundred percent recovery streaks. From surgeries, to follow up check ups, rehabs and after cares, Jennie tops all that.

 

She hands the progress report board of the in-patients back to one of the on-duty residents, endorses couple of things before she makes her way out of the premises. She needs her first meal of the day and maybe bed to catch up some rest before meeting up with her friends.

She was about to open her uber app — when a voice she's familiar with echoes behind her. She spun around and smiles.

 

"Hey." she greets the man who stops a few feet away from her whilst panting, he was running earlier to obviously catch up to her.

"G..Give me a sec."

"Every second counts, Doc." Jennie teases.

He had to chuckle, stands up and smiles. "Hello. It's been a while. Heard about what happened on the table, is the patient stable now?"

Jennie nods. "Yeah but he's going to have a long recovery time considering how much trauma and surgeries he had to go through."

"Much better than losing his life, for sure."

"Agree." Silence. "Wait, you're on night shift?"

He nods, still trying to regain his breathing. "Uh huh, it's my last day of night shift though. Just had to cover Doctor Fitzgerald for a week due to family vacation. That bummer had the audacity to go on vacation."

Jennie chuckles. "Let his old get that. He's a grumpy popsicle when he does not get what he wants."

"Totally agree. Oh. Uhm." 

Jennie noticed how the man is slowly fidgeting in front of her. "What's up, Kyle?"

"I'm thinking, breakfast? No strings attached, I promise. You made it clear the other week and I get it but you know, it's better to have breakfast with someone than being alone. That is if you have no prior plans."

 

 

Kyle Jones, one of their hospital's attending Pediatric Surgeons whom Jennie exclusively dated for more than a month before her entire moving on process was flipped back to zero when Lisa showed up at the airport that one fateful day.

Jennie immediately talked to him the next day, saying she didn't want to string him along knowing that she has not moved on yet, it would be unfair for the man. Luckily, Kyle understood. He said good thing he wasn't that attached yet so it won't be that hard to move forward. He knows who Jennie is and who her ex is because who doesn't know Lalisa Manoban anyway? 

 

 

Eating with someone definitely beats eating alone so she was about to answer him with a Yes when a car pulled up right beside her. She turns her head and sees the person who never fails to make her heart fail to beat properly, Lisa.

She could hear a gasp from the other side and she knows it was from Kyle. Jennie knew he is a huge fan of Lisa or the theatrical industry itself, thinking about it, it's probably one of the reasons why she's attracted to him. Oh scrap that, she's attracted to the fact that he reminds him of Lisa. Yup, ridiculous.

 

 

Lisa stands right next to the opened door of the car, an arm resting on the door's frame and Jennie noticed how her eyes are traveling back and forth, from her to Kyle. "Uh, did I disturb somet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter