Seven

The Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oppa, you’re leaving?” Min Jung’s crestfallen face became evident upon hearing that Jong Kook and Ji Hyo were about to leave. This does not go without notice, especially by Won Sik and Ji Hyo.

 

“It’s been a long day, Min Jung. You know how bad Seoul traffic is,” Jong Kook explained while holding Ji Hyo’s hand, “I need to take Ji Hyo home too.”

 

Min Jung pursed her lips, “Seoul...I didn’t realize you weren’t staying in town to visit your parents.”

 

“Ani,” Jong Kook immediately answered, “My mother wouldn’t let us rest. She’ll probably hog Ji Hyo all to herself.”

 

“Hmm, I understand,” Min Jung knowingly nodded, having experienced it herself and casted a soft glance at Ji Hyo, “It was such a shame that we never had the time to talk tonight.”

 

“Oh, you don’t need to be sorry. It’s your wedding after all. You had to attend to important matters,” Ji Hyo smiled reassuringly.

 

“Still— we could’ve chatted and talked about Oppa,” Min Jung grinned teasingly at Jong Kook.

 

Ji Hyo suppressed a chuckle, feeling slightly uncomfortable by the sudden change in Min Jung’s demeanor. Has it only been a few hours since she received the bride’s cold treatment as if she did not exist? If she recalled correctly, Min Jung mostly ignored her in almost all of their interactions and only acknowledged Jong Kook. She found it rude, not that she should care but why was she bothered?

 

Play time was nearly over, she reminded herself. The moment they step out of Anyang, things would go back to normal. She has fulfilled her job as a good friend. Everything worked as planned, right?

 

Until they kissed.

 

She combed her fingers through her hair, hoping no one would notice the pink blush spreading across her cheeks.

 

“Mwoh? You want to gossip about me? That’s ridiculous!” Jong Kook gaped at Min Jung.

 

“I didn’t say that,” Min Jung scoffed, “I was merely planning on giving her advice on how to deal with a guy like you.”

 

“Yah,” Jong Kook was unable to hold his retort, “I’m perfectly fine! Do you want me to spill your bad habits to your husband?”

 

Min Jung’s eyes widened, “You wouldn’t.”

 

Won Sik awkwardly chuckled at their exchange. Now that Jong Kook and Min Jung’s past has been revealed, he couldn’t bring himself to be openly warm to his wife’s ex. He has heard stories about him and his infamous strict, protective, and controlling personality, without a clue about who he was. Min Jung’s friends and family have kept his identity a taboo but would spill some hints that he’s famous for his body and temper. While they’ve said that he had been generally okay, he eventually became too suffocating for Min Jung’s own good. He wasn’t gonna lie, he wanted to throw a punch at Jong Kook’s face for all the things that she had to go through for him. If he were only strong enough to do so.

 

Jong Kook wasn’t a fool to observe that Won Sik had been extra cautious around him ever since he found out who he was. The strange looks that he had been sending him was a sign that he was not okay about having him around. Who in the world would want to see your spouse’s ex at your wedding? Let alone sing the song you wrote for her? Jong Kook could only pray that he had not discovered that one detail yet. He and Ji Hyo should wrap their act real quick..

 

“Sorry to break it to you, Min Jung but we need to excuse ourselves. We have to go,” Jong Kook smiled apologetically, taking a peek at his watch.

 

Min Jung sighed, “Arasso. It’s not like I could ask you to stay longer.”

 

Won Sik shifted his stance and placed his hands in his pockets, waiting for Jong Kook to respond.

 

Jong Kook was aware of the brewing tension that could cause them to screw up their efforts at the last minute. Not wanting to drag the conversation further, he politely said, “Congratulations once again, Min Jung and Won Sik-ssi. Thanks for having us.”

 

“Come here,” Min Jung opened up her arms for Jong Kook as he stood in front of her dumbfounded, uncertain of what to do.

 

Min Jung lost her patience and surprised everyone when she leaped forward and wrapped her arms around Jong Kook in a tight hug, causing Ji Hyo to break away from Jong Kook’s hold and Won Sik to knit his brows together.

 

“Thank you so much, Oppa,” Min Jung whispered in his ear, “I can’t thank you enough. Remember what we talked about earlier? Please don’t make her wait too long.”

 

Jong Kook pressed his lips together forming a thin smile. He nodded and tapped her back gently in return, “Thank you, Min Jung. I don’t know what I deserved to receive your forgiveness but I wish you all the best.”

 

She giggled and released him from her hug to face Ji Hyo, “Thank you, Ji Hyo-ssi. I wish we could chat sometime soon. Perhaps we could check our schedules and meet up for dinner?”

 

Ji Hyo forced a smile, “Yeah, that would be great.”

 

“I should stop talking. Jong Kook oppa might get mad at me if I don’t let you go. Take care on your way back to Seoul.”

 

“He won’t,” Ji Hyo chuckled and eyed at the reception behind them, “Enjoy the rest of your night. It seems like the party’s far from over.”

 

Jong Kook gave a slight bow to Min Jung and Won Sik and grabbed Ji Hyo’s hand in his, “You ready?”

 

Ji Hyo nodded, “Ne.”

 

As they were about to head towards the door, Min Jung called out for Jong Kook one last time, “Oppa!”

 

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo turned their backs to check on her.

 

“Don’t be a stranger,” Min Jung smiled, leaving Jong Kook speechless on the spot.

 

Ji Hyo tugged his hand to catch his attention. He sent one slight nod and a fake smile to the newlyweds before walking to the exit, back to reality.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

The traffic wasn’t bad as predicted.

 

It was the deafening silence that filled the car that was horrible.

 

Ten minutes into the ride, Jong Kook was surprised to see that Ji Hyo was wide awake. Her eyes stared at the city lights before them. Not an inch of drowsiness was taking over her body, quite unusual from the typical sleepy head.

 

“Ji Hyo-ah, you can lower the back of your seat so you can take a nap. I’ll wake you up when we get to your place,” Jong Kook offered.

 

“Ani, I’m alright Oppa. I’m not that tired,” she replied with a small smile.

 

“You sure?” he threw a questioning glance at her, “We’ve had quite a day.”

 

“Neh.”

 

And then they became quiet again. Neither one of them spoke nor attempted to talk about what had happened earlier. One moment they were dancing and then, before they knew it, they were kissing. To say that things were awkward between them was an understatement. There’s an unsettling feeling in the air from the sudden turn of events.

 

Trying not to let the uneasiness get the best out of him, Jong Kook stretched his back by sitting upright and moved his neck from left to right. He also cracked his knuckles as he kept his focus on the road. Ji Hyo raised an eyebrow at him, unable to comprehend the tensed behavior.

 

“Oppa, are you alright?” Ji Hyo couldn’t help but ask and worry, thinking that his back was bothering him from the long drive.

 

“Gwenchana, I’m okay.”

 

“Is your back hurting? Why don’t we stop at the next gas station so we could switch seats and I’ll drive from there?”

 

“Aniyo. No need for that, Ji Hyo. I’m really okay,” he flashed an encouraging grin from her.

 

“Promise?”

 

“Promise. How about you? Any second thoughts about the nap? We’re still 20 minutes away before we reach Mapo-gu.”

 

She shook her head, “I’m fine. But if you ever change your mind about driving…”

 

“I won’t.”

 

“Arasso,” she leaned her head on the window and continued to watch the view from her side.

 

Jong Kook let out a low breath. He couldn’t bear the silence anymore so he decided to turn the radio on. At least some music would accompany them for the next couple of minutes before they call it a night.

 

It feels like we've been friends forever, yeah

And we always see eye to eye

The more time we spend together

The more I wanna say what's on my mind

 

He winced as soon as he heard the first verse of the song. Was the universe messing around him or was it pure coincidence? Of all the songs that had to play on the radio, it just had to be this one.

 

Take it easy

'Cause it ain't easy to say

 

I wanna be more than friends

I wanna be more than friends

I wanna tell everyone you're taken

And take your hand until the end

I wanna be more than friends

 

He gripped the steering wheel tighter with one hand and rubbed his chin with his other hand. If he were only alone in the car, he swore he would’ve groaned or screamed in frustration. How was this song so spot on, at the right time?

 

At the risk of sounding foolish

I don't wanna fool around no more

If we're gonna do this then let's do this

You can fix my broken heart if it's all yours

 

Stealing a quick glance at Ji Hyo, he broke into a soft chuckle after seeing that she had dozed off to dreamland. Despite insisting that she was okay, her actions speak otherwise as is slightly parted — a dead giveaway of how exhausted she must have been.

 

So take it easy

'Cause it ain't easy to say

 

I wanna be more than friends

I wanna be more than friends

I wanna tell everyone you're taken

And take your hand until the end

I wanna be more than friends

 

I'm asking you to be my baby

I'm giving you my heart, don't break it

I'm crushing and I'm going crazy

Either way I know we'll make it

 

As the song was about to end, Ji Hyo moved and leaned her head on the headrest but it only took a matter of seconds for her head to fall towards Jong Kook’s side, causing him to smile wider.

 

“Aigoo,” Jong Kook whispered and supported her head to bring it back to a more comfortable position. “What do I do with you?”

 

He heaved a sigh as he recalled what he had done. He kissed her first, crossing the line from being just her friend. He needed to sort out his feelings. What does Ji Hyo mean to him now? What does he actually feel for her? He can’t deny that he felt nothing from their kiss.

 

One thing was for certain, they needed to talk — even if they both weren’t ready. Jong Kook couldn’t pretend that the kiss was just part of their act. He needed answers and he was willing to get them at the risk of ending their friendship.

 

____________________________________________________________________________


 

“Ji Hyo-ah,” Jong Kook gently shook her arm to wake her up, “We’re here.”

 

Blinking her bleary eyes open, Ji Hyo almost forgot where she was until she noticed the facade of her apartment building. She was home.

 

She released a yawn and stretched her arms after that power nap. When she sat up, she brushed her fingers through her hair, hoping she would look decent once she gets out of his car.

 

“Thanks for bringing me home, oppa,” Ji Hyo turned to him and clutched her purse closer to her.

 

Jong Kook waved his hand, “No, thank you for coming with me. You’ve done way more things than what you have signed up for. I’m really sorry you had to deal with my mess.”

 

“It was nothing, Oppa. You know that,” She shyly tucked a few strands under her hair.

 

“Don’t say that. It wasn’t nothing.”

 

Ji Hyo bit her lip and stared at him blankly. He met her eyes, waiting for her to say anything but she kept shut. Jong Kook suddenly became wary. He couldn’t read her thoughts but her reaction reminded him of the first year they worked together. Back then, Ji Hyo mostly kept to herself. She was uneasy and had her walls up. She barely spoke unless Kwangsoo or Joong Ki would engage with her. She was reserved and would only respond with short answers or yet, give people a blank face. This often made the crew nervous and uncomfortable. Somehow, he was feeling the same way ten years later.

 

He gazed at her more intently, not forgetting the looming question in his head. What do they do after that kiss?

 

“Ji Hyo-ah,” Jong Kook called her name, despite being unsure of how to proceed, “About tonight, I’m sorry if I went overboard. I know we were dancing but I shouldn’t have—”

 

“Oppa,” She cut him off before he could finish. “It’s okay. I understand. I’m an actress after all. It’s part of the job.”

 

“But this wasn’t a job.”

 

“I still volunteered to do it,” she straight up answered him.

 

“I think we should still talk about it,” he calmly told her.

 

She shook her head with a tight smile, “There’s no need for that, Oppa. Besides, it’s getting late. You’ve still got to drive back to your place.”

 

“Ji Hyo…”

 

She unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door to step down from the car. As she was about to bid him goodbye and close the door, she noticed that she was still wearing her coat.

 

“Ahh, oppa. I’m sorry I forgot to return this,” she dropped her purse on the seat to remove his jacket.

 

“Keep it,” he said and Ji Hyo could only stop and fix her eyes on his.

 

“It’s still a chilly night,” he reasoned as he knew she’d still have to walk through the block grounds before entering the apartment lobby.

 

“It’s only a short distance. I’ll be inside before you know it,” she countered.

 

“I insist,” he firmly answered.

 

“Okay… Gomawo. Drive safely, Oppa,” Ji Hyo smiled as she took her purse and closed the door.

 

Just as they usually do when he drops her off, he waited for Ji Hyo to make her way into the lobby and give him one last wave before driving off. This time, however, she quickened her steps as she neared the building doors without bothering to turn back and headed for the elevators.

 

Jong Kook drew a deep breath and switched his gears to drive.

 

He screwed up— big time.

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Three days.

 

Ji Hyo exactly had three days before she’ll see Jong Kook again.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter