One

The Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A simple night out had turned upside down with the strike of his unbelievable luck.

 

It’s a Monday night and some of the Running Man cast members have decided to grab a meal together before heading home. The group was seated in a private room and Kim Jong Kook had excused himself to use the powder room while waiting for their orders to be served.

 

Just as he was heading back to his friends, a stranger accidentally bumped against his chest due to her unfazed attention on her phone, failing to notice the mishap she had caused.

 

The woman looked up meeting his eyes to apologize but was caught off guard upon recognizing who she had run into. It wasn’t because he was famous though. It turns out that they weren’t strangers at all and were far from being acquaintances.

 

Jong Kook never thought this day would come. He stood still before her, mirroring the same surprised expression written on her face. How long has it been since he last saw her? Seven years? Seven years since she swore swore that she would never cross paths with him again. Seven years since that incident when she decided to call it quits and walk out of his life for good.

 

Their eyes locked on each other, both taken aback and tongue-tied at the unexpected encounter.

 

“Sorry about that,” she whispered, breaking the uncomfortable silence hanging between them, “I wasn’t looking.”

 

“Ani, it’s fine. I wasn’t paying attention either,” he struggled to find the right words to say, “It’s good to see you, Min Jung. How have you been?”

 

A small smile slowly formed on her lips as she shyly tucked a few strands of hair underneath her ear, “I’m good. I moved to Seoul— ”

 

“You moved to Seoul?” Jong Kook couldn't hide his surprise, “Who would’ve thought? I mean, no offense it’s just that— ”

 

“No offense taken. I left Anyang. I moved jobs too.”

 

“Ahh,” he nodded, trying to take in the new information he had just heard about her.

 

Jong Min Jung came from Anyang just like him. She grew up in the city, completed her education with a degree in Korean Literature, and built her career in a small publishing company downtown that she absolutely loved. They met through a mutual friend and instantly hit it off after their first date. He knows how much she adored their hometown. When they were still together, Jong Kook had often asked her whether she would like to move out of Anyang if they got married. She shrugged off the idea and stated that it was pointless since both of their families reside in the city. Now that their lives have taken a different course and things have changed, he could barely process who she had become only a minute into their conversation.

 

“The publishing company filed for bankruptcy two years ago. That’s why I decided to move here to Seoul to try out my luck,” she explained.

 

“I’m sorry to hear that. I know how much the publishing company means to you.”

 

“I’m not gonna lie. Things weren’t working well for the publishing company prior to that. There was so much financial distress and when the time came that the owners had to file for bankruptcy, I had a hard time letting the publishing company go. It was something that had become a huge part of my life. I felt lost and I needed to move on. I wanted a fresh start so I packed my bags and left Anyang.”

 

“You always knew what to do.”

 

“You mean I always knew when to walk out for good?” she raised her brow at him and chuckled, “My parents were strongly against my decision. They were worried that I would never survive on my own in the big city. I had to prove them wrong— even if that meant that I had to change career paths and shuffle jobs.”

 

“Oh, if I had only known… you should’ve called. I could’ve helped you get started or settled at least. I could connect you to people in some who work in the publishing industry,” he offered. Something inside him has stirred upon hearing her story. Was it guilt? Why does he feel responsible for taking care of her?

 

She shook her head and smiled, “I don’t think I was in the position to call you. It wouldn’t have been fair. We ended things badly.” Things did end up badly. He’s surprised that she even mentioned this or acknowledged it for the first time since.

 

“I’m sorry—”

 

“Oppa, stop. It’s been ages. What’s done is done. We have to move forward.”

 

He pressed his lips together, forcing a smile. Right, ages. Yet, he couldn’t deny the lingering regret he felt about their past. Between the two of them, she had always put him first— adjusted to his schedules, hid like a ninja whenever they were out in public, compromised her plans for his, and dodged wedding questions that put him in a bad spot until she had enough. Her world revolved around him for so long that he could only blame himself for how things turned out. She had gotten tired of dating him. She couldn’t play around and wait for another ten years till he decides to bend on one knee and pop out a ring. She couldn’t put her life on hold for him and he can’t blame her for it.

 

“You’re right. We should move on.”

 

“Besides, my move to Seoul made me better and I don’t regret any of it. Enough about me, how are you?” She threw the question back at him. Somehow, she’s managed to keep the conversation flowing from that tipping point.

 

“I’m okay. Same old stuff, I guess,” Jong Kook shrugged, “There’s nothing inspirational about my life compared to what you just shared.”

 

“Aww come on,” she giggled, “I’m pretty sure I remember your life was quite interesting too. Omoni joined you in a show, didn’t she? How is she these days?”

 

“You’ve been keeping tabs on her?” Jong Kook’s interest piqued.

 

She blushed, “Ah, I came across some articles. How’s the family? I hope they’re well.”

 

“Yeah, they are. My parents are good, so is my brother’s family. Tae Hyeon’s grown really tall. He’s shaping up like a young fine man and Li Won’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter