Six

The Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ji Hyo was at a loss.

 

After winning the flip cup battle, her team squished her in a hug as they commended her fast chugging skills and perfectly synced flick that led her group to victory. The other groomsmen, Chris and Andrew also joined the commotion and handed out a new round of drinks which Ji Hyo didn’t mind.

 

Her only problem was, they were all trying to converse in English. It was okay when Mari and Il Seong were the ones talking to them but when the men’s attention went back to her, she felt the blood from her face leave.

 

“Yooo!! Way to go, Ji Hyo!!”

 

“Hey girl, you totally blew us off!!”

 

Jason whistled, “Now that’s a woman you can’t mess with!”

 

“Cheers!!” Andrew yelled as he raised his beer up in the air and everyone else clicked their glasses with him.

 

“So, you’ve got any more moves left up your sleeve?” Matt slided beside her and asked.

 

Not comprehending what she just heard, she quickly turned to Mari and Il Seong who were also scratching their heads.

 

“What did they say?” Ji Hyo whispered.

 

“Mianhe, Ji Hyo-ssi. I’m just as clueless as you are,” Mari bit her lip and looked at Il Seong for help.

 

“Ayeee, I don’t understand them either,” he admitted but tried to lift their mood, “Who cares? Just go along with it. It’s a party alright. Let’s just have fun!” He spoke a bit louder as the music was getting louder.

 

Matt noticed that the three of them had formed a mini circle, trying to understand what he had said. To help translate what he just said he tapped Ji Hyo to get their attention and moved his hips and pointed a finger at her, “Do you dance?”

 

Il Seong immediately caught on, “Dance?” And started to follow Matt’s groove as Mari bounced along with them.

 

Ji Hyo awkwardly laughed. The game was okay. The alcohol was even better. However, a dance? No thank you. She has reached her limit.

 

“Sorry...ahh… I...no dance,” she formed an X with her arms, causing the men to smile wider.

 

“What? I think you’re just shy!” Matty insisted and was nudged by Jason.

 

“Oof— our boy is trying so hard to get a girl to bring back to the States,” Jason clicked his beer with Andrew’s.

 

States? She understood that. She attempted to try again.

 

“I go to America. New York, very good!” She gave them a thumbs up.

 

“Oh you like New York? Sure, I think we can work something out if you’d like to come with us. I’m based in California though. San Francisco? With the Golden Gate Bridge? Do you want to go there as well? I’d give you a Matty-certified tour you won’t forget,” Matty beamed as he explained.

 

His friends are now laughing and slapping his back.

 

“Someone’s in a hurry.”

 

“He’s probably in a rush to get married too.”

 

“You’re really into her, huh?”

 

God, what were they saying? Ji Hyo had officially gone blank. She glanced at Mari and Il Seong but they were really no use. They just kept nodding in agreement and encouraging her to say something.

 

“Hey, I’m sorry. Did we overwhelm you?” Matt chuckled, “I’m going to be honest, you’re really cute and beautiful. Perhaps we could talk a bit more? Use a messaging app, if it helps. What do you guys use here, Kakao? Here’s my QR Code. We can add each other up,” He handed her his phone and Ji Hyo confusedly stared at the image. What was she supposed to do with this? Are they playing a game?

 

She smiled apologetically and pulled her courage to at least produce the most basic English she knew, “Please, no English. Please Korean, okay?”

 

“Ah, yes of course. I was just trying to get your number. We could get to know each other a little more. A bit of google translate might help us. We can send gifs, photos, and memes!” Matty clarified and took his phone again and opened up google translate, “Can I have your number?”

 

Oh. It finally clicked for Ji Hyo. He was asking for her number.

 

As Ji Hyo had still not broken out of her mong-ness, she was given back his phone once again so she could type in her number this time.

 

She eyed at the phone in her hand and was unsure how to respond. Surely, Matt had no clue about who she is. How does she politely decline this apart from saying the only word she could think of at the moment: Sorry.

 

Suddenly, she felt the phone abruptly snatched from her hold and was coldly given back to Matt. She looked up and found Jong Kook with his jaw clenched in a stare down with the poor fellow whose face had gone pale from intimidation as he put a hand on her shoulder.

 

“Sorry, man. I don’t think she’s interested,” Jong Kook said then offered his hand to introduce himself, “I’m Jong Kook. Ji Hyo’s boyfriend.”

 

Il Seong nearly choked on his beer upon seeing Jong Kook behave and whispered to Mari, “Okay, I think they’ve unleashed the tiger. The only difference between then and now is that he’s more possessive.”

 

Jong Kook was aware of Il Seong’s side comment but chose to ignore it as Matt seemed to have stayed frozen in processing what had just happened. Jason saved his face and reached out his hand to shake Jong Kook’s, “I’m Jason. This is our buddy Matty… Chris and Drew, come say hi.”

 

“Hey man, nice to meet you. I’m Chris.”

 

“I’m Drew, or Andrew, whichever is fine. Great song, by the way! Sorry we didn’t recognize that this beautiful lady was your date,” Andrew apologized on behalf of their group.

 

“Did he just call me beautiful?” Ji Hyo grinned at Jong Kook.

 

He leaned closer to her ear, “Don’t let it get to your head.”

 

She glared at him while he smiled in return.

 

Glancing back at the men, he replied, “My girl’s flattered, as she should be. Thank you for the kind words and for taking care of Ji Hyo during the game. But please do excuse us.”

 

Jong Kook intertwined his fingers with Ji Hyo’s and dragged her away from the group. For the nth time that night, Ji Hyo was in a daze. What just happened? What did they talk about? Why was he mad? There were only a few words that she captured, sorry, boyfriend, and beautiful. What was wrong about a guy hitting on her? It’s just a simple crush. Besides, they were just pretending for the night. What if she changed her mind? What if they exchanged numbers? They could be pen pals or something.

 

There were so many things running through her mind, most of them were protests. She decided to stay silent. The night’s nearly over and she’d rather not make another scene that could possibly expose their secret.

 

As for Jong Kook, he didn’t know what hit him. Min Jung’s words were still ringing in his head and it did not make sense. So what if he treated Ji Hyo differently? She used to be the only girl in their crew and they were quite a handful. Back in the day, he felt sorry that Ji Hyo had to go through fit-for-men missions. Oftentimes, she had to step-up cause none of them could match her determination and courage. They were all looking out for each other like family. And that’s what family does, they become each other’s support. He felt bad about that incident in 2012 but he would’ve done the same if it were the other members too. Or not. Even then, he wouldn’t get out of a date night if it were Kwangsoo or Dong Hoon, right? He would’ve sent them a message and not ditch his date right.

 

He groaned silently as he passed through the sea of remaining guests. And there’s So Min, he remembered. So Min was easy to get along with that she automatically clicked with everyone, especially the guys. He needed not to be so careful around her. He’s grateful for her. Not only did she bring in more fun and chaos but Ji Hyo did not feel left out as much as she used to.

 

And now he’s back to thinking about Ji Hyo.

 

Shaking his head, Jong Kook walked past the hall’s exit and turned towards the nearest balcony. The moment they arrived in the quiet space, he let go of Ji Hyo’s hand and came near the marbled handrail. He lifted his chin to gaze upon the night sky, hoping to clear his thoughts.

 

Ji Hyo let out a soft sigh and made her way beside him. Nursing the beer bottle that she was not able to leave behind, she commented dryly at their view, “No stars tonight.”

 

“Hnn.”

 

She observed him cautiously while he’s absorbed in his thoughts, “So, any plans of telling me why we’re here?”

 

“To get some fresh air.”

 

She scoffed and took a sip of her beer.

 

“Yah, I thought you said you were only having a shot tonight,” he raised a brow at her with an expression that she was very familiar with. He was annoyed.

 

She shrugged him off, “What’s your deal, oppa? You know I can handle my alcohol at functions pretty well. Why are you so pissed?”

 

“Of course, I know that. It’s just that, they might talk about you.”

 

This time around, she raised a brow at him and drank another sip, “Mun Hee already gave me the stink eye. Their relatives have been staring at me all night long. It doesn’t bother me.”

 

Jong Kook scowled and pointed at her, “See? This is why you should stop drinking.”

 

“Then are you embarrassed to be with me?” She questioned him, her brows now knitted together.

 

“No! Why would you think of that?”

 

“Then what gives?!” she fumed in a much louder voice.

 

Startled, Jong Kook was unable to speak. She was right. What gives? Why was he being over sensitive about men trying to get her number and her drinking habits?

 

“Oppa,” she called his attention while calmly pulling herself together, “I don’t want us to argue. I saw you and Min Jung talking earlier. I know it’s none of my business so I won’t pry. But whatever happened between the two of you, I hope it won’t affect your mood and ruin what we both showed up for tonight.”

 

He pressed his lips in a tight smile, “You’re right...I’m sorry. I’ve been too selfish.”

 

She shook her head, disagreeing, “You’re not selfish, oppa. You’re just moving forward.”

 

“Don’t you mean, moving on?”

 

“I’d like to believe that you’re moving forward. To move on means that you’re constantly trying to get over your feelings of regret about your past. You’re probably still there but I think you’re almost at the end. When you’re moving forward, you’re looking ahead. You’re more expectant about your future. You’re open to new beginnings. You’re willing to start things new. That’s why I’d like to put my faith in that mindset, Oppa, that you’re moving forward,” she locked her gaze into his eyes with all sincerity.

 

And in that moment, Jong Kook felt the world stopped in front of him.

 

You’ve always loved Ji Hyo-ssi. You always have. You always will.

 

What if it was true? His chest swelled and a tingly feeling crawled all over his body. Has he really fallen for her without becoming aware of it?

 

“Why, oppa? What is it?” she broke the silence.

 

Jong Kook stared at her and chuckled, “When did you get so smart?”

 

Ji Hyo’s mouth twitched upwards forming a smile, “It’s because you’re such a pabo when it comes to love.”

 

He faked a gasp and rolled his eyes, “And now, you’re just being arrogant.”

 

“Hey!” she slapped his arm.

 

“What? It’s true,” He has targeted her now with his teasing remarks as she threw a punch at his chest.

 

“Take that back!”

 

“Nope, you started this!”

 

A cold wind suddenly breezed strongly through the open space, forcing them to cut their banter short. Ji Hyo felt her body shiver and instantly rubbed her hands on both arms.

 

“Aigoo,” Jong Kook immediately took off his coat and put it over her shoulders. He her arms up and down to provide her more warmth. “You really shouldn’t have worn this,” he eyed on her laced dress, “You know it gets cold at night.”

 

“I told you it was Kate Spade.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter