Two

The Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song Ji Hyo had merely volunteered to look for Jong Kook who had gone missing in the past 20 minutes to let him know that his food was about to go cold. To her surprise, she found him in the hidden corridor of the restaurant with a familiar woman in sight. Her eyes shot up with the sudden realization of who Jong Kook was speaking to. His ex Min Jung was there and she wasn’t alone. The woman’s got a new beau in tow. Despite knowing how rude it was to eavesdrop in their conversation, she couldn’t help but come a bit closer and listen to their mini reunion.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll be happy to hear that we ran into your old friend. Amazing. I can’t believe my fiancé is friends with Kim Jong Kook!” the man beamed.

 

“Congratulations. I’m sorry I didn’t know,” Jong Kook’s voice faltered but his face couldn’t hide the forced smile he was putting on for show.

 

Ji Hyo hated to admit it. Jong Kook looks shattered and he’s doing a horrible job covering it. No matter how many times he has proclaimed that he’s over her, his friends know this isn’t completely true. As much as they admire his attitude about not letting the past define him, he somehow fails this in this aspect when it comes to relationships. It’s usually when he gives pieces of love advice to his precious dongsaengs— Kwangsoo or Se Chan, he’d accidentally slip stories of his past with Min Jung and the regret he feels about it. So much for being over her, huh?

 

“Thanks, oppa,” Min Jung responded.

 

“So when’s the big day?” Jong Kook asked.

 

“Next month,” the man sighed, “I just can’t wait till the preps are over and start my forever with this amazing woman right here,” he wrapped an arm around her waist and gazed at his fiancé lovingly.

 

“You’re one lucky man,” Jong Kook whispered.

 

Oh god, she can’t bear to watch this any longer. She’s lucky that she’s found a hiding spot behind a pillar or she might have been caught in the act by the way she has reacted: her eyes wide open and her hand over . This isn’t right. Shaking her head, Ji Hyo turned around to head back to their room, pretending she never heard any of it. However, her steps abruptly stopped the moment she heard Min Jung pop the question.

 

“Can I invite you to the wedding?”

 

“You’re inviting me to your wedding?”

 

“Yeah, I am. Look oppa, I’m sorry I must have caught you off-guard. If you’re busy, you’re not obliged to and it’s probably bad timing with filming and—”

 

“I’ll be there.”

 

“Really, oppa?”

 

“I don’t think I’ll miss it for the world.”

 

What was he doing? Ji Hyo spun once again, intently watching the scene unfold before her eyes.

 

“Ahh jinja?? Thank you, Jong Kook-shi. Daebak, I can’t believe you’re going to our wedding. Who would’ve thought?” Min Jung’s fiancé beamed excitedly at her. “Man, if you could only sing at our wedding…”

 

“Yah, you can’t just blur that out! He’s our guest!”

 

He stiffly laughed, “I’m sorry, honey. I was just taking my chances. Imagine if he could just sing your favorite song of his, My Heart is Love, for our wedding dance… wouldn’t that be something?”

 

“No, no, no. Kim Jong Kook, get a grip,” Ji Hyo muttered under her breath.

 

“Would you like me to sing at your wedding? Min Jung, do you want me to?” Jong Kook proposed.

 

Her husband-to-be was naive as ever, “Honey, why are you suddenly silent? You know this is gonna be news! Singer Kim Jong Kook at our wedding!”

 

“Oppa, are you okay with that?”

 

“Only if you want me too.”

 

That’s it. She decided that she’s going to stay a bit longer to scold him privately before they go back to their friends. She doesn’t care if he’s gonna get mad at her. If no one’s gonna call him out, she’s gotta do it. He needs to hear the hard truth that he’s not over his ex and it was very stupid of him to offer to sing at her wedding.

 

“Thank you, Jong Kook oppa for doing this. It means a lot to me,” Min Jung bowed.

 

“Aigoo, no need for that. It’s the least I could do,” Jong Kook murmured.

 

“And let me know if you’re bringing a date with you. I mean it. I hope you’re not just bringing Gap Jin with you,” Min Jung said.

 

Ahh, she couldn't take it any longer. There was no way she’ll let Jong Kook go lower into the pit he’s already trapped himself in.

 

She strode towards Jong Kook, rudely barging in their conversation and confidently stated, “I’m his plus one, Min Jung-shi.”

 

Glancing at the couple’s surprised expression, she bowed politely to introduce herself, “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Song Ji Hyo, his girlfriend.”

 

Song Ji Hyo did not know what possessed her but she could already feel Jong Kook’s intent, angry, and questioning eyes set on her.

 

“Ah, Ji Hyo-shi,” Min Jung returned the gesture and bowed, “What a pleasant surprise.”

 

“Omo, I’m Hong Won Sik,” he bowed and stared starstruck at Ji Hyo, “Ahh, I can’t believe this.”

 

Ji Hyo gave him a meek smile, not exactly sure how to reciprocate Won Sik’s enthusiasm as she observed Min Jung’s frozen composure.

 

“Jong Kook oppa, why didn’t you tell me that you guys were together?” Min Jung directed her answer at Jong Kook, ignoring Ji Hyo as if she wasn’t standing next to him. Something doesn’t seem right. Why does Min Jung feel offended? There’s a glint in her eyes that doesn’t leave unnoticed by Ji Hyo.

 

Jong Kook was startled. What would he say? He’s just as shocked as they were. They weren’t the only victims of Ji Hyo’s bombshell.

 

Ji Hyo hooked her arm around his arm and flashed a smile to snap Jong Kook out of his daze, “It hasn’t been long, right Oppa?”

 

Jong Kook gave her a forced smile and nodded, “Ah, neh.”

 

Min Jung chuckled, “Why have you suddenly gone stiff, Oppa? It’s not like we’re acquaintances. Ji Hyo-shi and I met several times. Besides, I’m happy to see you both doing well and you actually got together.”

 

It was Ji Hyo’s turn to feign a grin. This woman was really something. Was she being sarcastic? No wonder Kwangsoo hated her the most. She doubted their assumptions of her back then. In the earlier years of Running Man, there were instances when Jong Kook would bring Min Jung to hang out with them over meals or house parties. The boys, Ha Dong Hoon included, weren’t fond of her cause she was quite the passive-aggressive type and she got Jong Kook wrapped a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter