Eight

The Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gap Jin and Jong Kook had just dropped off his stylists at their company office and were on their way to grab a meal before heading back home.

 

As they coursed through the evening traffic, Gap Jin couldn’t help but think about the awkwardness that had transpired between Jong Kook and Ji Hyo at the parking lot. Something certainly happened over the wedding and none of them were willing to give in and spill the details to anyone, not even to their friends. If he didn’t know Ji Hyo any better, she would probably keep it to her grave. His hyung, on the other hand, may soon cave in once he gets his timing right.

 

When the traffic light hit red, he stole a glance through the rearview mirror and noticed that his hyung’s eyes had not left his phone. Seeing that this could be an opportunity to discuss the video, work wise, he plucked up his courage to get some info out of Jong Kook.

 

“Hyung,” Gap Jin cleared his throat to catch Jong Kook’s attention.

 

“Hnn?” Jong Kook replied, not bothering to look up from his phone.

 

Carefully dropping the bomb, Gap Jin asked, “Do you want me to take care of the video?”

 

Jong Kook breathed out a sigh and met his eyes, making Gap Jin uneasy in his seat. This talk was not going to be pleasant.

 

Gap Jin shifted his tone, the professional pitch that he often used when negotiating, “I can deal with the press and work with Ji Hyo noona’s team, if you’d like.”

 

Jong Kook pursed his lips and stared at the window. He’s never been put in a situation like this. Sure, he’s had his share of being the recipient of being teased on national tv for the love lines that were forced on him but when it came to his personal life, he was very cautious with his every move. If people ever saw him with an ex back in the day, they were often in the States and they wouldn’t have noticed. People barely knew him there and he had the freedom to roam around with his peers outside showbiz.

 

“Has Ji Hyo said anything?” he shot the question at his manager.

 

“No?” Gap Jin stopped, “Wait, have you talked to her?”

 

Jong Kook did not answer.

 

“Her company hasn’t brought it up too. I’m surprised that they’ve been keeping mum about it. I even was waiting for her manager to say something earlier but there was no mention of it till we said goodbye.”

 

Jong Kook’s forehead creased, “What do you think Gap Jin? What should we do?”

 

Gap Jin stared back, “Why don’t you take this up with Noona? We’ll have to work with them eventually if either party wants to make a statement.”

 

Jong Kook crossed his arms and took a deep breath with his brows furrowed.

 

“What’s with that face, hyung?” Gap Jin peeked through the rearview mirror again, sensing the stress that was brewing from Jong Kook’s mood.

 

“I just don’t want people to get the wrong assumption.”

 

Gap Jin chuckled, “Isn’t it a little late for that? Geez, Hyung if it weren’t for Dong Hoon hyung, I wouldn’t have known what you’ve been up to.”

 

Jong Kook glared at him, “You know what I mean. Besides it was a personal event.”

 

“And it looked like a personal affair to me.”

 

“Yah,” Jong Kook hissed. He was really pissed by this point.

 

“Arasso. Nonetheless, you should stop being awkward around her.”

 

“Me?” Jong Kook gaped, “I wasn’t awkward around her!”

 

Gap Jin scoffed, “Man you were so uncomfortable when she was around. You didn’t know what to say or do.”

 

“It wasn’t like that!” Jong Kook was becoming defensive and sulky.

 

“Really? You didn’t even talk to her during breaks. Hyung, you never let the chance to slip whenever you guys see each other.”

 

Jong Kook’s face was red and Gap Jin wasn’t sure if he was fuming or he was too embarrassed to admit that he had been right about his observations.

 

“Hyung, people will still talk, whether you guys avoid or interact with one another. You don’t want to do something you might later regret.”

 

Jong Kook readjusted his seat backwards, “I’m taking a nap. Wake me up when we get there.”

 

Gap Jin could only sigh as he set his focus back on the road.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Back-to-back filming schedules were always exhausting for the cast, especially in recent years. Even Jong Kook wasn’t exempted from this. They’re just not getting any younger.

 

Jong Kook dreaded coming to work today. Because of the conversation he had with Gap Jin, he lost his appetite and lacked sleep from overthinking about his status with Ji Hyo. As much as he hated to admit it, they were aloof with each other yesterday. It’s not like he wanted how things turned out. If he only knew they would end up this way, he would’ve stopped her from coming as his date from the very beginning. He might’ve also been able to prevent himself from falling for her faster than he had realized.

 

Yes, he finally acknowledged the fact that he had fallen for Song Ji Hyo.

 

Was it just a few days ago when he was willing to risk their friendship in order to set the score between them? But as soon as their video became viral and she began creating some distance, reality and fear had set in. He became terrified of the thought that he might lose her as his friend. The need to take precaution on how to approach their situation was suddenly his priority. More importantly, he had to fix their video issue before it could ruin them for good.

 

Jong Kook was the sixth member to enter the set. He instantly spotted Jae Suk, So Min, Dong Hoon, Kwangsoo, and Se Chan huddled in a tight circle.

 

“Hyung!” Se Chan frantically beamed upon seeing him approach them, causing the group to break apart and pretend as if they weren’t just gossiping about him. He could be exaggerating but he was almost never wrong about the cast members’ secrets. Why do you think the others fail as spies miserably?

 

Jong Kook nearly rolled his eyes. The guilty expressions written on their faces were so obvious and they were awful at hiding it.

 

“Hi Oppa!” So Min cheerfully greeted him to cover up for Se Chan’s panicked hello.

 

Kwangsoo, on the other hand, immediately noticed the dark circles under Jong Kook’s eyes, “Hyung, you look horrible.”

 

“Just tired. I’m surprised you aren’t worn out from yesterday’s shoot,” He responded.

 

“Perhaps there’s just trouble in paradise?” Dong Hoon couldn’t control himself as the others stifled their laughter.

 

Jong Kook scowled at him which led to his dongsaengs erupting in laughter while Jae Suk could only offer a smile to console his ill-tempered brother.

 

“Hyung, hyung!” Se Chan then reached out for Kwangsoo’s hand and imitated the way Ji Hyo was twirled by Jong Kook in the video.

 

So Min clapped her hands and hummed a random melody, adding more chaos to awful dancing.

 

“Aish. We haven’t even started filming yet and you punks are already getting on my nerves,” Jong Kook snapped at them.

 

Jae Suk chuckled and pulled Kwangsoo away from Se Chan, “Arasso, that’s enough. Give Jong Kook-ah a break, huh?”

 

“Annyeong,” Seok Jin just arrived on the set and totally missed the whole scene. Catching sight of the strange mood in the atmosphere, he stopped his tracks and scanned the looks on their faces, “What’s with everyone?”

 

Kwangsoo sighed dramatically at their eldest hyung’s timing, “You should really come to work early, hyung.”

 

“Huh, did I miss anything?” He scratched his head, wondering if they were messing with him again.

 

Just a second later, Ji Hyo barged in through the doors and rushed with her hair all disheveled and her eyes all swollen, “I’m sorry! Am I late?”

 

“Unnie, is this becoming a habit of yours?” So Min came up to her and tried to straighten her hair.

 

Kwangsoo, on the other hand, snorted at Ji Hyo and lifted a couple of her strands, “Did you just get up from bed?”

 

Ji Hyo shoved him lightly and silently thanked So Min for helping her look presentable in front of the cameras.

 

“You look like you haven’t slept,” Jae Suk pointed out as he secretly eyed on Jong Kook who looked very concerned.

 

So Min carelessly gasped, “Oh no, Unnie! Not you too! Don’t tell me you were with Jo-”

 

“Do you want some coffee?” Se Chan butted in before the whole set transforms into a huge mess. They can’t have their issues out in the open now, especially when filming hasn’t even officially started.

 

“Coffee?” Ji Hyo tilted her head. Oh boy, she could use one right now.

 

“Are we not starting?” Seok Jin then asked Bo Pil.

 

“Neh, we’ll just have your mics ready and we’ll start the slate,” Bo Pil confirmed and ordered the production team to get to their posts.

 

Taking advantage of the opportunity that the crew still needed to fix Seok Jin and Ji Hyo’s mics, Se Chan, Kwangsoo and Dong Hoon pushed So Min to the side to give her a short lecture so they won’t get in trouble the rest of the day.

 

“Okay, I’m sorry! I honestly thought they were together last night!” So Min argued.

 

“Yah, stop including Jong Kook hyung and Ji Hyo noona in your fantasies!” Se Chan retorted.

 

So Min exaggerated a sigh, “Ahh! Am I the only one who thinks something fishy is going on here?” and her eyes widened in realization, “Wait, what if they’re hiding behind our backs?!”

 

“So Min-ah!!” they all scolded her, capturing a few heads to turn towards their direction.

 

“Geez, you’re worse than Dong Hoon hyung!” Kwangsoo grumbled.

 

“You’re quite loud too!” Se Chan muttered.

 

Meanwhile, Kwangsoo’s words registered in Dong Hoon’s brain, “Mwoh?? That was just for the show!” He hit Kwangsoo’s arm and puffed out some air, hoping to calm the tension that was building up. “Okay, let’s not get ahead of ourselves,” He intentionally stared at So Min who frowned at him in return.

 

“I mean it, So Min. You know it’s just business between those two and hyung’s probably concerned with the video going viral on sns,” Dong Hoon said.

 

Kwangsoo scoffed, “You sure have a bad sense of reading people, don’t you?”

 

“Okay whose side are you on? I thought you didn’t agree with her earlier and now you’re going against me about being rationale, for once?” Dong Hoon made a face at them.

 

“I’m just saying that you guys are conspicuous and they’re so suspicious!! But we really have no clue what happened, okay?” Kwangsoo answered back.

 

Se Chan shook his head and swiftly rubbed his hands on his arms, “Aish, we have to stop this right now. I’m already feeling cold sweat as Jong Kook hyung and I just had a brief eye contact for a short moment. We better split up before he comes after us.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Ji Hyo didn’t even dare glance at Jong Kook in between takes.

 

She was professional enough to give him a nod or a smile when the cameras rolled but once a break was called, she’d vanish within his perimeter and avoided him at all cost.

 

He wished he was imagining things but even the writers had taken notice. While they have respectfully minded their own business, Bo Pil could not shake off the feeling that the episode was slowly crumbling apart because of the disconnect among the cast. When the other members were distracted and Jong Kook was left alone, he discreetly asked if he could talk to him privately to bring up the elephant in the room.

 

“Jong Kook hyung, I know it’s none of my business…,” Bo Pil politely opened up the topic, “but with the way that you guys are both acting, I’m afraid our editing might not be able to help your case.”

 

Jong Kook was confused, “I’m sorry. I can’t follow what you’re trying to say.”

 

“We’ve been receiving more inquiries from the media and fans about your relationship with Ji Hyo noona. We’ve been working with the editors to be as objective as possible for your onscreen moments so we wouldn’t arouse the public too much. However, with your video in mind and it looks like you haven’t sorted that out yet, I’d like to ask a favor if you both could be a bit more amicable in front of the cameras,” Bo Pil carefully laid out his concern.

 

Jong Kook felt guilty as he watched Bo Pil further clarify that they didn’t have to bank on the popularity of the video and highlight their loveline. Instead, their young PD requested that they become more civil towards one another. Just be normal and comfortable, just like they’ve always done.

 

Jong Kook did not know how to respond. He felt ashamed of how this has affected their colleagues as well, “I’m sincerely sorry for my behavior. It was disrespectful and insensitive of me. I promise to do something about this.”

 

“Ani, hyung. Please don’t get the wrong idea,” Bo Pil became embarrassed to see his hyung’s apology. “I know you’re both in a difficult spot right now. I also feel bad that we teamed you up for the first mission. I can try to consult the writers if we can shuffle the mechanics so you won’t have to end up with noona for the latter missions.”

 

“Aigoo!” Jong Kook instantly protested “You shouldn’t have to adjust because of us. I can’t let you take this burden when it should be mine to bear.”

 

“Hyung,” Bo Pil looked at him sincerely, “I’ll always have your back. If there’s anything we can do to help, please let us know. I don’t mind diverting some parts of the upcoming episodes if that would make your lives easier.”

 

“Aish, Bo Pil. Don’t go that far. Look at you, how many times do I have to remind you that you can order us as much as you’d like? No need to be afraid of us. You’re our PD afterall,” Jong Kook patted him on the back.

 

“And as your PD, hyung, I only want what’s best for you guys. The protection of your privacy is a priority to me so I’ll be firm with the decision that I can revise the episodes when I deem it fit,” Bo Pil countered.

 

Jong Kook stared at Bo Pil in amazement as a smile slowly formed on his face, “Arraso. it’s your call, PD-nim. Thank you.”

 

“I mean it, hyung. You guys have my support. Whatever happens,” Bo Pil flashed him a small smile and before taking off.

 

Those words echoed in Jong Kook’s head as his eyes trailed on Bo Pil who was making his way towards Ji Hyo.

 

Whatever happens.

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Bo Pil was a bit relieved to see the notable change between Jong Kook and Ji Hyo’s dynamics after the break, even if the exchange between them was obviously forced. He can sit down with the editing team to work their magic as they do away with Kwangsoo and So Min’s chaotic clips.

 

Through the years, the members have developed a good hunch whenever the production team needed an extra push to make the episode livelier and crazier. So when they caught Bo Pll and the writers stealing glances at one another, they just knew they had to step up their game to cover up for Jong Kook and Ji Hyo’s awkwardness seeping through the lenses. The Kwangmin siblings came to their aid and went off to betray and fight against each other, completely saving the commander and the ace off the hook.

 

The moment Bo Pil announced for the long awaited lunch break, So Min rushed to Ji Hyo’s side and locked her arms around her as Kwangsoo gave mini karate chops on his noona’s shoulder to help her stiff muscles unwind. On the other side of the room, Se Chan and Dong Hoon’s stories could be heard loudly in an effort to distract Jong Kook from casting discouraged and sullen looks at Ji Hyo.

 

Bo Pil pressed his lips tight while silently observing the scene before him. Truth is, he was still worried about Jong Kook and Ji Hyo. They were both trying so hard to cope but were barely managing thanks to the help of the members. Fully drawn in his thoughts, he did not spot that Jae Suk and Seok Jin had sneaked behind him and were curiously studying the heavy look on his face.

 

“Stop that,” Seok Jin called him out causing Bo Pil to wince and turn around.

 

“Ahh, Seok Jin hyung,” Bo Pil cooly regained his composure, “I thought you’d be ecstatic for lunch.”

 

Jae Suk snickered, “He’s being too nosy for his own good.”

 

“Yah, you were the one who told me that he looked anxious,” Seok Jin exposed Jae Suk while pointing a finger at Bo Pil.

 

“Doesn’t give you the right to tell him off that way. He’s just worried as we all are,” Jae Suk argued and looked at Bo Pil with an encouraging smile, “You did great today, Bo Pil. They’re fine. They’ll figure it out.”

 

Seok Jin’s stomach grumbled.

 

“Aish hyung, do you have no shame?” Jae Suk complained.

 

“I heard they’re serving tonkatsu on the menu,” Seok Jin smiled cheekily at them.

 

“Tsk, we better get you something to eat before you start complaining again. Poor Bo Pil’s got enough concerns for today,” Jae Suk clicked as he dragged Seok Jin to the buffet table.

 

Up to this day, Bo Pil wasn’t sure how they do it. The assurance. The support. It has always been there even if the PDs had fallen short in the past. This was their family and he was beyond grateful for every single one of them. Whatever happens, he is confident that they have each other’s backs.

 

____________________________________________________________________________


 

“Special delivery,” So Min placed a large cup of hot americano on top of the table, causing Ji Hyo to jerk her head up from her post-lunch nap.

 

Opening her right eye, she spotted the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter