Four

The Wedding Singer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To say that things became civil between Jong Kook and the bride’s family after Min Jung’s acknowledgement of him and Ji Hyo as her guests were an understatement. The minute Jong Kook and Ji Hyo entered the wedding hall hand-in-hand as they made their way to their assigned seats, several eyes trailed on them and whispers from guests were heard about Jong Kook’s appearance with Ji Hyo.

 

“Is that Kim Jong Kook and Song Ji Hyo? She’s so pretty.”

 

“Omo! Is that really them? They look so good together!”

 

“I thought they were only acting in front of the cameras!”

 

“Oh, they’re just close friends!”

 

“Kim Jong Kook is here? I thought things ended horribly between him and Min Jung.”

 

“Did you know that Song Ji Hyo was the cause of their break-up?”

 

“Oh the cheater’s here and he also brought her.”

 

“I heard there was a commotion in the bride’s suite between Kim Jong Kook and Song Ji Hyo and Min Jung’s family. Was it true? I’m surprised they’re still here.”

 

The confrontation between them and Min Jung’s family certainly did not help. Gossip among the bride’s close circle of friends and relatives spread like wildfire. The only thing that’s surprising at this point was that Won Sik’s family still has not gotten any clue about any of this. Min Jung’s family was probably trying to keep it to themselves as best as they could. They wouldn’t dare, would they? Her wedding day is finally here and the mere fact that her ex is singing at her wedding wouldn’t look very nice to her new in-laws. Besides, they managed to keep a straight face when they exited the bridal suite, avoiding room for suspicion from Min Jung herself.

 

Ji Hyo’s thoughts were suddenly disrupted as her face strongly bumped against Jong Kook’s body when he stopped in his tracks in front of their designated table: table 11, just beside the live band and the mic.

 

“Mianhe, I was spacing out. I didn’t realize we were here,” Ji Hyo let out a chuckle while she rubbed her temple.

 

Raising his brow at her, Jong Kook let go of her hand and cupped her cheeks to check on her face. Her cheeks had gone crimson, clearly embarrassed by what he just did. She bit her lip and avoided his eyes. If the crowd’s gaze had not fully followed them earlier, they surely did now.

 

“What are you doing?” She whispered.

 

“Let me see.” Focused on examining her face, he sincerely asked. “You okay? Did I hurt you?” He gently tilted it upwards.

 

“Aniyo…,” she placed her hands on his, sending him a signal to drop his hands but he didn’t budge. “Oppa, people are staring.”

 

“Let them be,” He clicked his tongue, scanning her face once more. His eyes soften, “How are you holding up?” His hands still firmly holding her face, unwilling to let go.

 

Ji Hyo stared back at him. Her heart began to thump. What was Kim Jong Kook doing? Did he really have to go this far?

 

“I’m fine,” she breathed.

 

“You sure? Just say the word and we’ll get the hell out of here.”

 

She chuckled at him and shook her head before taking his hands in hers, “I should be the one asking you how you’re doing. You’re making me look like a bad date.”

 

His concerned look turned into a frown.

 

“What’s with the face?” She laughed and playfully pinched his cheeks.

 

Her effort to change his mood went to waste as his expression remained solemn, “You didn’t deserve any of that.”

 

“Neither did you,” she gently moved her hands to his waist and looked straight into his eyes. “So… you hanging in there okay?”

 

He sighed, “I don’t know. Frankly, I feel terribly sorry that I dragged you into this. I can’t even focus on my singing later cause I’m furious at what had happened and I couldn’t do much to protect you.”

 

“I’m angry too, oppa,” she confessed.

 

“Hmm?” His brows raised while waiting for her to answer.

 

“I’m furious that they wouldn’t let it go. It’s not like you wanted to break up with her then.”

 

“You know it’s not just that.”

 

“But it doesn’t give them the right to do that,” she rolled her eyes.

 

“Then why don’t we just leave?” Jong Kook smirked, attempting to lure her into ditching the whole wedding for good.

 

She broke into a smile and drew herself a bit closer to him, “And not get back at them? Oppa, I’m more fired up than ever.”

 

Jong Kook couldn’t help but finally let out a chuckle as Ji Hyo moved closer to his ear, “You’re not gonna let me down, are you?”

 

“What are you up to?” the corner of his mouth twitched upwards.

 

“Hug me.”

 

He backed up a bit and gave her a puzzled look.

 

Ji Hyo grinned and nodded to encourage him until Jong Kook obliged and encaged her in his huge arms.

 

“Aish,” Ji Hyo muttered, “Don’t be awkward. You’re too stiff,” she leaned her head on his shoulder.

 

“Ah, mianhe? Is this alright?” Jong Kook rested his cheek on her head.

 

“Perfect cause Mun Hee just threw daggers at me and turned her heels around to walk to the opposite direction.”

 

Jong Kook laughed and hugged her tighter, “You’re naughty.”

 

“Oh we’re just getting started.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Being the gentleman that he is, Jong Kook sprung into action and took care of Ji Hyo, barely leaving her side. From pulling the seat for her to getting her a drink from the cocktail table, listening to her talk about her upcoming projects and laughing with her as she whispered petty snarky comments about Min Jung’s family, he poured out his attention on her. Everyone noticed. While they were greeted by some guests amicably, there were some visitors who could not go near them as they felt intimidated by the walls they’ve built around themselves, keeping their distance from everyone else as much as they could.

 

“What are your plans after this?” Ji Hyo curiously asked.

 

“I’ll drive you home then head back to my apartment.”

 

“That’s it?”

 

“Maybe I’ll hit the gym if I’m not too tired.”

 

“Oh oppa,” she slapped her forehead.

 

“What?”

 

“Get a life. Let’s grab a drink after this,” she tapped his thigh repeatedly.

 

“Nope, not gonna happen,” he teasingly shook his head.

 

“Aww, oppa!” her lips pursed into a pout.

 

Jong Kook casted her a grin and rested his arm at the back of her seat, nearly closing the gap between them, “Hmm…”

 

“Ahh so it’s true,” a tall chubby man in glasses came towards the table and interrupted Jong Kook and Ji Hyo.

 

Jong Kook’s eyebrows lifted and recognized the man standing in front of them: Il Seong, Min Jung’s frisky best friend. The guy who made him feel uneasy at times when he was around. He was just too close to Min Jung and that made him insecure. It seemed like he’s assigned to the same table too and wasn’t alone. Jong Kook noticed that he was with a date and a couple who followed him from behind.

 

Courteously standing up, Jong Kook tapped Ji Hyo as they greeted the newcomers to the table, “Annyeonghasaeyo.”

 

“How’s it going, Il Seong-ssi?” Jong Kook cordially asked him.

 

Il Seong laughed loudly, “Yah, drop the honorifics! I’m the same old me! It’s not like we’re strangers!”

 

Jong Kook chuckled, “Well I’m glad you haven’t changed.”

 

Aware that Jong Kook wasn’t alone, Il Seong turned to Ji Hyo, “Good evening, Ji Hyo-ssi. My friends weren’t lying when they told me how captivating you look tonight.”

 

“Ah,” Ji Hyo blushed in embarrassment, “Kamsahamnida.”

 

He happily clapped his hands, “Hyung, how could you not introduce me to her?”

 

Jong Kook wagged his finger at Il Seong and he wrapped his free arm around Ji Hyo, “Off limits. This is my girl we’re talking about.”

 

Il Seong laughed, “Aish, even when she wasn’t your girl back in the day, you still refused to introduce her to me. You’re still possessive, huh? It’s not like I stole Min Jung from you!”

 

Jong Kook stifled a laugh. Although he wasn’t completely sure if it was appropriate to laugh at the joke, he was glad to discover that Il Seong was just as playful as he remembered him to be.

 

Observing the two bicker like old friends, Ji Hyo secretly nudged Jong Kook’s side, hinting that she needed some enlightenment on who the stranger was.

 

Meeting her eyes, Jong Kook immediately apologized, “I’m sorry, babe. Where are my manners? This is Il Seong-ssi. He’s Min Jung’s best friend.” He then teasingly introduced her, “Cheon Seong Im, my girlfriend.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you,” Ji Hyo gave him a genuine smile. For the first time since talking with Won Sik at the foyer, Ji Hyo seemed to be a bit more at ease tonight as Il Seong looked like the second person she’d probably enjoy being acquaintances with at this wedding. “He’s joking. You call me Ji Hyo if you’d like.”

 

“Song Ji Hyo, of course! But would we become closer if I called you by your first name?” Il Seong tried to push his question more forward. Now Jong Kook couldn’t tell if he was just being playful or flirty.

 

Ji Hyo forced a smile. She really hates it when people call her by her real name.

 

“Okay, now stop putting my girl on the spot. You’re embarrassing her. I see you’ve got company with you. Would you perhaps like to introduce your friends?” Jong Kook suggested, in an effort to divert the topic and save himself too upon realizing that he just triggered one of Ji Hyo’s pet peeves.

 

“Aigoo, you don’t have to worry about me stealing her away from you! I’ve already tied the knot,” he held the woman’s hand and raised their clasped hands together, flashing their wedding rings. “This is Mari, my wife.” The petite woman smiled and shyly greeted them.

 

“You got married?” Jong Kook blurted, unable to hide his surprise.

 

“Of course, I did! I had to settle down too, you know!” Il Seong pretended to be offended which caused everyone to laugh. He pointed to the couple behind him, “That’s Haru and Jin Woo. They tagged along the club after your break-up.”

 

Ji Hyo giggled at Il Seong’s ability to make everyone laugh and give Jong Kook a hard time. He doesn’t seem so bad, considering he’s Min Jung’s best friend.

 

“Hey— I know I’m funny but don’t laugh too much. He’s gonna go jealous again.” Il Seong joked once more, managing to get Jong Kook to scowl.

 

In response, Jong Kook scoffed a chuckle, “But in all honesty man, it’s good to see you.”

 

“Me too. And Ji Hyo-ssi. Don’t worry about me. I’m a kind soul.” He then cupped his hand near his mouth and whispered, “I don’t go livid like Mun Hee! I heard she made a scene earlier.”

 

Ji Hyo’s eyes widened and Jong Kook’s tongue was tied again. Just when things were starting to get well, they remembered that they couldn't keep their guards down. Who knows what could get out of this guy’s mouth? Maybe they should be more careful with him.

 

Mari slapped Il S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter