Winter 1994 - part 2

When there is a silver of Hope

Republic of Korea, 1994

Lee Rim opens the door to the brother's place and walks inside. He sees his doppelganger in a wheelchair not being able to do anything and looks at him and says, "This is how you were living? You're living such a lowly life."

"At least he is living an honest life" Na-ri says watching the look the traitor gave his doppelganger.

He looks around saying "Well, you and I do look alike. But we don't just look alike. I am you. You in a different world."

Clasping a hand on his doppelganger's shoulder he continues saying, "But I'm very different from you. I am much nobler than you." He twists his doppelganger's neck killing him quickly.

Eun Ah turned her head towards Wook not able to see another murder in front of her eyes. Wook could only offer his shoulder to his princess, he wished he could make her forget everything.

Then the house's door opens once again and the little Prince's doppelganger comes in and gets shocked on seeing his uncle standing. He then looks at his actual Uncle's corpse and gets scared looking for something around him.

He grabs a rod to defend himself as Lee Rim starts saying, "Even in this world, you've seen something you shouldn't have. And you're holding something you shouldn't be holding" walking over to the boy.

"I am going to kill him" Tae Eul-iee swore, her disgust for the traitor growing in abundance. Lee Gon didn't know what to look at, the death of his doppelganger or the strong reaction he received from his Queen or that boy who was getting too near his princess.

Kingdom of Corea, Coronation of the third King

People are clamoring towards the palace, the palace is surrounded with people to see the coronation ceremony. The new eight-year old King is entering the throne room with the ceremonial attire and headdress. He is followed by the members of the Lee family.

"Awww he looks so cute" was the thought that was going through all the women's mind as they saw the little King

As Seung Ah alone said her thought out aloud, Yeong gave her a look which made Na-ri think 'Maybe he really does like the King.'

On the on lookers is a father and son looking at the newly seated King as everyone proclaim,

"Hey that looks like my dad and me" saying this Eun Seob-ah turned towards Yeong. But the unbreakable sword was firmly avoiding eye contact with anyone, including Na-ri and Tae Eul who have known Eun Seob from childhood.

"Long live the King!

Long live the King!"

The news announces, "Today is the 6th day of the former King's funeral. After his coronation, King Lee Gon began his first duty as King, mourning his father's death for 26 days according to court laws" as people watch the King from their television.

The King is shown wailing on his knees in the courtyard crying Aigooo over and over. Everyone with a sad face are watching him mourn his father.

Everyone were sniffling or crying silently seeing the screen while Eun Ah couldn't get over how much the kid version of her father looked like her brother Lee Jung.

Republic of Korea

"Is this your husband? It seems he was in a hit-and-run accident while he was drunk. I know you're startled but we'd appreciate your cooperation" The Police convey to her as the lady identifies the body as her husband's.

"My mother's doppelganger" the King whispered in wonder. He has never seen his mother, seeing her like this was a blessing for him. Even if it is not his own mother.

The husband was the King Lee Ho's doppelganger, whereas the lady is the Queen's doppelganger. The lady leaves without showing any sort of sadness. The officer is startled at the lady's composure and more so when she requests the government to cremate the body themselves.

Seeing the sad look on Lee Gon's face, Tae Eul-iee said, "Maybe her husband was not a good man in the Republic."

While Shin Jae pondered on where had he seen that crying King's image. If he closed his eyes he could remember every cry like it was imprinted in his heart.

She goes home and sits at the table. She remarks at least the man ate before his death and takes a swig of one of the shot glasses while Lee Rim is pretending to be the brother in the wheelchair.

The wife starts laughing hysterically as if the husband's death is the best thing that had happened to her. She is very happy that her wish was heard and she even had no responsibilities to cremate the body even.

"The husband must not have been a good man" Seung-Ah said to which Na-ri and Wook who heard her nodded. Wook kinda felt that he was intruding his mother's girls night whenever he listened to something she whispered to her doppelganger.

Just then Lee Rim stands and walks towards the shocked lady who falls down on seeing him.

"What, he just goes around killing people. Doesn't Republic have an efficient police system?" Yeong scoffed aloud.

Offended Tae Eul turned to give that upright man a piece of mind when the King turned towards his unbreakable sword and said, "Even we didn't know Yeongie, so don't discriminate between Republic and the Kingdom."

Shin Jae could only sit still as he watched  Tae Eul-iee give a breathtaking smile to the King. He didn't even stand a chance with her.

Kingdom of Corea

The Little King is still on his knees mourning his father with a bandage on his neck covering the wound inflicted by the traitor. A little boys walks over to the King and says, "Hey. hey, eat this. I'll give this to you."

"Put that away" the little King says curtly. The boy is Jo Yeong. He continues to eat as the King keeps on mourning.

"He is like that from the start" Shin Jae thought rolling his eyes.

Jo Yeong's father, the general says to the head court lady, "He's not moving an inch. Right. He shouldn't talk to the King like that."

"It's all part of a plan. Just wait and see" No Ok nam replies.

"Lady No Ok nam is the reason for their friendship?" Wook asked Eun Ah laughing.

"Who would've thought, right" Eun Ah replied grinning.

While a person was gritting his teeth on watching their interaction.

The Library

Little Jo Yeong comes to the library as the King is writing Math and gets shocked and asks, "Hey, Is it fun to study?"

Everyone scoffs at that except Gon and Eun Ah. 

Tae Eul-iee's eyes widened on noticing that, opening and closing dumbfounded.

"How are you getting into this place? Get out."

"Do you think this whole place is yours?"

"He still asks that question" Yeong thought.

"Yes, this place is all mine. So get out."

"You're lying."

"Who's your father?"

"He's your father's friend!" Jo Yeong replies as both of them stare at each other.

"The ice is starting to melt" Na-ri said her voice trailing off on noticing the Lieutenant's unblinking stare at her direction.

Later the King with watery eyes escorted by distant family members and the head court lady goes into the courtyard once more and burns the bloodied clothes of the late king in the dark and snowy night.

"The funeral process is finally over. You've done well on performing your first duty, Your Majesty" the head Court lady says the king and her head back inside.

"He shouldn't have to at that young age" Tae Eul mumbled to herself.

The King breaks down crying saying, "I miss my father. I miss my father." The head court lady cries along with him and tries to comfort him.

Eun Ah couldn't control her tears, "I miss my father too Wook, my whole family." Her whole body shook with her tears as Wook tried to comfort her. No one saw her breakdown except for one person.

Little Yeong comes cries on seeing the King crying and asks, "Why are you crying? Don't cry" and falls down on the floor crying. Lee Gon stops crying on seeing him and brings a toy light saber towards him and says, "You should stop crying too, here. From now on, you're the Unbreakable Sword."

Jo Yeong's face was looking like a tomato with all the blood that rushed to his face. Seung Ah thought he looked cute but shook off the thought as she could never have a chance with him.

"The Unbreakable sword? What's that?"

Lee Gon laughs at Yeong's confused face and asks, "What's your name, though?"

Still crying he replies, "Jo Yeong. What about you?"

Wook could only look in wonderment thinking, "He looks so different." His father was truly different than he knew.

"I am Lee Gon, the King of the Kingdom of Corea."

"Okay, I get it. Anyway thank you for this" Yeong says smiling at the light saber. They both smile at each other as the head court lady looks on with a pleased smile.

"That's the start of an epic partnership" Seung Ah said smiling.

"That's an understatement" Eun Ah replied a small smile forming on her lips, maintaining the composure when she noticed both her younger version of her parents looking at her.

The body of Lee Rim is found near the ocean washed up which halts all the search for him.

"His doppelganger's, I assume" Eun Seob-ah said thinking that it looked more like a TV show than their everyday life.

Royal Hospital of Corea

The doctor, Prince Buyeong walks up to the head court lady who is waiting for him who on seeing him says, "This can't be revealed to the public, so I had to ask you to perform the autopsy yourself. I have no idea what to do about this."

"Calm down, you made a wise choice. I heard the Royal guards think he committed suicide."

"They all lied to me" Lee Gon said his heart couldn't help but breaking at the thought of the people that raised him lying to him all these years.

"Yes, they say it seems like it. He probably had nowhere to run. They say all his bones were broken. Probably due to the waves."

"Even so, this can never be suicide. It must be a shooting by the Royal guards. I will have to make a false statement for the young King and the Royal Court that is in chaos. Do you understand?" the Prince says on seeing the Head lady protesting.

"Yes, Your Highness."

"They tried to protect you" Tae Eul tried to say to Gon who nodded not completely convinced.

In the salt fields the henchman of Lee Rim is seen working and tending to his shoulder wound and getting frustrated of the news proclaiming Lee Rim dead. Days and night, years pass by as the henchman keeps working until one day he sees Lee Rim in his farm.

The henchman falls down on his knees in joy, "Your Highness, you are still alive?"

"He started recruiting again and this looks like it was just a few years ago" Yeong said trying to think how to undo their enemy's plans.

"You believed that I was, didn't you?"

"Yes, I did. I believed you were alive. But how....How can you still look the same? It has been over a decade since I last saw you. How did you not age at all."

"I don't like the look on his face" Na-ri mumbled receiving a hand squeeze from Eun Seob who stiffened suddenly at the contact.

"You've held out well. Let me show you a new world."

"Yes, Your Highness" saying this the henchman bows down to Lee Rim as the traitor looks off into the sunset.

"You know, I can't take it anymore" Lee Gon suddenly shouted standing up startling everyone.

"Wh....What happened?" Tae Eul-iee asked startled at his outburst. Even Yeong looked to be showing some kind of expression on his face at his King's outburst.