A Liberal Arts Major's dilemma

When there is a silver of Hope

The King and the Lieutenant are walking beside each other on the pavement after exiting the pawn shop with the King tucking the acquired money in his pocket. The Lieutenant keeps on looking at the jacket and the King in shock and disbelief. 

The King laughs looking at his Queen, every expression of hers seems precious to him.

The King on noticing says smirking, "You seem confused." Tae Eul stops walking beside the King and asks, "So, What's with the diamond? Did you steal it?"

"Your mother is so harsh" Wook says looking at the screen.

Slapping her unbreakable sword on the head Eun Ah replies, "She is just confused."

Smiling the King replies turning around, "Have you seen anyone who accompanies a cop when trying to sell a stolen diamond?"

Snickering Eun Seob replies, "Twenty."

Kang Shin Jae turns and gives Tae Eul a look, how could she trust a stranger and go with him to a pawn shop and show her badge. It could have been dangerous.

Tae Eul looks at him contemplating something looking here and there before answering, "Who knows? Maybe that Head Court Lady or whoever stole it."

Not losing his smile he replies, "I will ask her that too." He looks at the ground smiling a little and he says, "She's not the kind of person though." 

Tae Eul buried her face in her hands, she was accusing someone who was a very good person. His words and expressions were throwing her off the game from the moment she met him. Her harsh words must have hurt him so much.

As they both stand there with Tae Eul looking at the King and the King looking at the buildings the King broke the silence by asking, "What is that, by the way? Princess Diana." Tae Eul turns to look at the building the King indicates and answers, "It's the 63 building. Why? Does your world not have something like that?"

"We have 63 of that in Haeundae. Is that the only one here?" the King asks making Tae Eul drop her proud grin.

"He is lying" Seung Ah said to Na-ri frowning but the other Myeong doppelganger grinning said, "He is flirting."

Yeong's eyes widened on hearing this not even listening to Wook mutter, "Twenty One" under his breath.

"Yes, it's the only one. You can take a taxi across the road to get to the hotel" saying this Tae Eul takes a step to leave which is blocked by the King placing himself in front of her.

"Aww, he doesn't want her leave" Eun Ah said grinning at the screen while simultaneously punching Wook's leg in excitement. Wook while grimacing in pain a little couldn't help but smile at the Princess's excitement.

As she looks at him the King asks, "Are you leaving? Why? Don't go. It took 25 years for me to meet you." His serious expression on his face made the Lieutenant listen to his words in silence.

"I wish today will be a long day." Tae Eul gulping at the emotions rising inside of her due his earnest but fantasy words.

Tae Eul gripped the King's palms in her hands tightly trying to quell the guilt arising in her.

Hardening her face she replies, "Get out of my way, will you? I already had a long day today because of Kim Gae-ddong." The King looks at her barely hiding his pained face while the Lieutenant's phone rings.

Everyone feels bad for the King but they also understand the Lieutenant for being harsh on him. No one would believe everything a stranger says without proof either.

The screen reads, Lee Sang-Do's Wife, Testifier. Tae Eul attends the call, "Is that Mr. Lee Sang-do's wife? Yes, I can. I will be right there." Talking on the phone giving the King a look she leaves.

The King stands there in sadness while Tae Eul still speaking on the phone leaves, "Hey, Lee Sang do's wife answered the phone. Okay, see you at the hardware store."

The King didn't know if he was more angry at the fact that his Queen didn't believe him that time or the person on the other end of the phone was likely to be Kang Shin Jae.

In the hardware store of the dead man, his wife is answering the officers questions, "I think it's been about three weeks since my husband left home." Shin Jae is looking outside the store while Tae Eul-iee is interviewing the wife.

"Why did you not report him missing then?"

"It's not like this is the first time he ran away from home after we fought. I thought he might be gambling somewhere. This time, it lasted a bit longer though."

"Wait, if these are to help the future why are we seeing the cases I handled as a detective?" Tae Eul asks looking at Eun Ah directly. No matter how old she is Eun Ah can't lie directly to her mother in the face so she tapped her unbreakable sword discretely for some help while smiling at her mother which she knew resembled her father's smile a lot.

Wook clearing his throat said out aloud grabbing everyone's attention, "Everything we see is connected so I think the case is also connected." Everyone settled back to watch but now more than answers they had more questions.

"Is there anyone who might hold a grudge against him?" Tae Eul asks as Shin Jae enters the shop looking around.

"To be honest, whoever killed him, it would make sense. He borrowed money from everyone he knew. He borrowed money from everyone, carrying two phones around. Now I have to pay for all the debt...." the victim's wife replies crying.

"Ah! that two phones" Tae Eul muttered under her breath.

Shin Jae looking around the shop uncovers the sharpened tools which might have been the murder weapon.

A  bird wind chandelier is seen, and photos with Eun Seob with his siblings and a man taking the remote to watch the television. It's Eun Seob, who sitting on the sofa folding clothes. Looking at the pink shirt, he remarks "My, she grew by leaps and bounds" smiling proudly before looking at the ringing phone.

Yeong's eyes once again widened on hearing that clothe must have been his doppelgangers siblings. Wow! he didn't know he had such young siblings. Would he been a big brother too if his parents didn't divorce each other. 

Seung Ah noticing the far-off look on the Captain's face nudged him slightly. Startled Yeong was caught off guard by the Royal Affairs employee's wide expressive eyes. Clearing his throat Jo Yeong blushing slightly turned his attention towards the screen not noticing once again the future unbreakable sword's triumphant grin.

"Hello"

"This is a collect call. Eun Seob. It's me, King Arthur. Please pick up the phone. I need to talk to you. If you wish to continue the phone call, press the pound key."

Eun Seob giving a look at his phone flings it aside saying, "He's out of his mind" before going back to his laundry.

"Umph!" the King grunted sulking in his seat looking at the screen. Did he really seem that weird for them to ignore him like that.

Tae Eul didn't know if she could feel guilty when the King looked so cute when he was sulking. She suppressed her urge to pinch his cheeks by turning to watch the screen.

A Hotel room hallway is shown with the King and Eun Seob carrying shopping bags in each of their hands.

"He doesn't even know how to ignore someone" Kang Shin Jae says looking at Eun Seob with a glare. Na-ri offended says, "He's the only one helping that person, which is more than what can be said for the two of you." The duo detectives had the sense to look bashful at her comments. Na-ri looked really scary when she wanted to be. It would do no good to get in her bad side.

"Come in"

"Wow"

"I'm glad I managed to convinced you after 13 attempts."

Wook laughed at that. He didn't know that his father's doppelganger was so good at making every situation hilarious.

"This suit is awesome" Eun Seob replies looking over the pool and the room.

He pauses and looks at the King snidely and asks, "But, why did you bring me here?"

"Nice timing to ask that question" Na-ri said glancing at Eun Seob snidely. Eun Seob just grinned at her, he liked whenever her attention was solely on him.

Calmly sitting on the couch the King says, "I wanted to catch up with you."

"Wow! if he wasn't my father I would really suspect him to be a criminal, with that smile and all" Eun Ah said staring at the screen in her mind totally sympathizing with her mother.

"Then we should thank god that they didn't think we were criminals when we first met" Wook replied looking at Eun Ah intensely rather than the screen.

That made her pause, "You do have a point, it really is a miracle we didn't spend our time in a jail cell."

"What are you guys talking about?" Jo Yeong asked after failing to eavesdrop on the mumbling teenagers.

They both looked at each other and Yeong and said in unison like they did their whole life, "Nothing." Yeong looked at them for at least 5 minutes straight, but they didn't fess up anything. As they settled to watch the screen once again the only thought going through Yeong's mind was the teenagers acted like they knew what he was doing. If the girl is His Majesty's then the boy is...

"'Catch up'. I've got nothing to catch up on with you."

"Everything in your left hand is all yours."

"Bribery at his finest" Tae Eul says giving Eun Seob and the King a look. At least Eun Seob looked regretful but that can't be said the same to the smug looking King sitting beside her.

Changing his tune completely Eun Seob replies, "Do you want me to sit over there? So, what should we begin with?"

"I want to see a photo of your family. It would be better if it was from when you were very young."

"To verify, now I understand" Eun Seob mumbles finally understanding some of the King's weird quirks he witnessed.

"Most people usually don't carry around photos like that, but I looked the best then, hold on" Eun Seob says taking out his phone searching mumbling "Where is the photo of my life? There it is."

"Of your life?" Shin Jae asked the man beside him.

Nodding the Jo doppelganger replies, "I was the most handsomest when I was a Kid." 

Na-ri grumbles under her breath mumbling, "I don't think so particularly." But no one heard her instead paying attention to the screen intently.

Passing the phone to the King Eun Seob asks, "Why do you want to see the photo though?" 

Just then the similarities between Eun Seob and his father and Yeong and his father is seen. The King talking to himself says, "I was right. This is a parallel world."

Tae Eul felt guilty that he made such efforts to prove his theory while she was berating him always for lying.

Just then messages start to appear at the screen of Eun Seob-ah's phone, 

"Hey, do you want to die?"

The King smiled remembering the messages while Tae Eul wanted to hide her face somewhere.

"Answer your phone before I kill you"

"Who will answer the phone like that" Eun Seob grumbles.

"You freak, A Horse"

Are you serious? You told him, didn't you?"

"Pick up the phone already, or I will kill you"

Eun Ah couldn't control her laughter any longer and that created a domino effect of everyone laughing. It really was funny to watch.

"Answer me! You are so dead."

"Your mom scares me more than your Dad sometimes" Wook whispers to the Princess who was still smiling softly at the screen. Wook wished that he could capture this scene in his mind forever.

Grimacing at the threatening messages at the phone and noticing the Lieutenant's call the King gives the phone back saying, "Someone is texting you. A warning of murder."

Eun Seob's cheerful face changes as he accepts the phone and when he looks at his phone, he drops it on the ground scared.

"I am not that scary" Tae Eul exclaims offended. At this everyone give her a look except Yeong and Seung-Ah.

Here the Lieutenant is calling someone and holding a sticky note with other hand which she is glaring at. The sticky note reads, "I heard you had a broad yard. Please take care good care of Maximus, my seventh-grade official."

"Twenty-Two" Seung-Ah says grinning, she really loved how the King is so good infuriating the Lieutenant even though she feels bad for the Captain sometimes. Ah! first fighting and then loving this is like a classic fanfiction come to life.

"What in the world is this? It doesn't make any sense" Jung Do-in says looking at the horse stationed in his front yard. Na-ri taking a photo then asks Tae Eul, "It looks so well-fed. It doesn't seem to be a regular horse."

"Grandpa looks so young" Eun Ah in wonder looks at the screen. It has been a few years since she saw him. She wondered what he was doing, maybe worried out of his mind with no contact from the Kingdom for the past few years.

Crumpling the paper in her hand Tae Eul replies with gritted teeth, "It's a seventh-grade official."

Na-ri in excitement exclaims, "I knew it. Tae Eul, are you sure the man who left this horse is the owner? If he is, let's not let him go. You must not let him go. Not many people in Korea own horses. He must be incredibly rich."

The King turns to look at Na-ri and says, "You really are a good judge of a character." Na-ri just smiles at the compliment looking at the King when Eun Seob blocks Na-ri from the King's viewpoint. The King just smiles wider at the sight.

Not noticing the Lieutenant's exclamation Jung Do-in asks, "Is that so?"

"Yes"

"See that? Old saying are always right. 'Nice horses for nice horses, soft horse turns away wrath'."

"He approves of me or not" the King pondered on his mind looking at the father of his love. This was actually his first impression right.

Neighbors and passing by people are looking at the horse from outside the fence, talking and taking photos. A delivery is received by Myeong Na-ri who says, "I ordered some food. You should have some too. Come here."

Still seeing the horse Tae Eul replies, "I have got no appetite. Dang, I really am in trouble."

Musing her hair with her hand and smiling scarily the Lieutenant yells, "Kim Gae-ddong!"

"My love looks cute even when she is so angry" the King thought smiling a little.

While Eun Seob-ah says, "Twenty-Three" grinning that he was not the only one getting a scolding.

In the reception area of the hotel Tae Eul is asking the receptionist, "A moment of your time, please. Has a well-built man in his early thirties, around 187cm in height with a likable face checked in at his hotel today?"

"Aww Unnie, you remembered his description that thoroughly" Na-ri said looking at the screen.

"Likable face?" the King asked, the Lieutenant blushed under their gazed mumbling a silent shut up at them and turning her attention to the screen.

Looking at the annoyed face of the Lieutenant the receptionist says, "I'm sorry, but we are not permitted to give out information on..."

Smiling at the receptionist Tae Eul replies, "Yes, I know. You don't need to tell me. Hold on a second, please."

"Even that smile is scary" Wook whispers, absentmindedly Yeong too nodded at his words.

Taking a paper and pen she writes, "The horse you left at my place. I bet I can sell it for a good price. I'm giving you ten minutes." Folding it Tae Eul requests handing the paper to the receptionist, "Please deliver this message to his room."

"You could have just said your name and I would have come" the King says leaning towards the Lieutenant.

"I was just angry then" Tae Eul replies justifying her actions.

"You aren't angry now?" the King asks curious leaning further towards her.

"Maybe I am, maybe I am not" the woman in his heart says with a smile making his breath hitch for a second.

The King is rushing watching his watch intensely. He is almost running and stops with a jerk seeing Tae Eul sitting on the chair waiting for him. He goes to her and sees his watch and replies, "That was nine minutes and forty seconds. Close call. The suite is on the upper floors so it took five minutes for the manager to come up. I headed sown as soon as I could."

"Sit"

Everyone smiled at the obedient King listening to Tae Eul. It was so comical to watch a King listening to someone else's words.

"I was about to. Should I sit here like this?" 

Looking at him with a blank face Tae Eul asks, "What are you going to do about the horse?"

Looking down at the ground for a second the King replies, "If it's okay with you--"

"It's not okay with me."

"Twenty-Four" Wook replies counting with his finger.

"It's like their everyday flirting with less affection" Eun Ah thought looking at the screen.

"I will feed him and brush him myself."

"Stop stating the obvious."

Even Yeong was smiling at that point.

"Only for a while. I can't stay here for long. I must return to my own world. Could you lend my dear Maximus just 16 square meters of your lawn?"

Sitting opposite him, looking at him Tae Eul controlled herself not to frown. He looked so genuine and hurt by her. Why is this man like this? Shaking off her thoughts mentally she replies, "Isn't that my entire lawn? When are you going back to your world?"

"Ouch! that was harsh" Tae Eul whispered to herself while Seung Ah counts to Twenty-Five.

"I haven't decided yet."

"You should have done that first."

"I should have but I postponed it for later. I like being here with you like this."

"He's making my heart race with these words" Tae Eul thought placing a hand above her heart.

Staring at him for a moment she says, " And you went shopping in the meanwhile?"

"I was out shopping for Eun Seob, and the clerk asked me to try it on. I tried it on as I needed a change of clothes  and it looked so good on me."

"Everything looks good on him" all the girls replied in unison.

"I wasn't asking a question. It was an insult. Never mind" saying this Tae Eul flips her hair to put into a ponytail.

"I will look after the horse until the DNA test result comes in."

Horrified the King asks, "Why are you tying your hair? Don't tie your hair."

Everyone scoffs at the King's expression on the Lieutenant tying her hair. 

Eun Ah whispers, "Twenty-Six."

Annoyed at him she does it fast and says, "Focus, will you? I am going to look after your horse. Animals are innocent, but Kim Gae-ddong might not be."

She gets up fast which makes him lean back on seeing her angry expression. "So, stay out of trouble until then. Unless you want to find out how much your horse can sell for."

She leaves after that, the King releases a breath of relief and says, "That was scary."

"Isn't it?" all the men in the room agreed to Eun Seob's comment except Yeong.

National forensic Service premises is shown and a woman's voice is heard saying, "The cause of death is a blunt force trauma to the head. The stage of rigor mortis shows that the body was disposed in the trunk after death. Taking into account that the decaying process was quick since the body was in the trunk, the death was three weeks ago."

Listening to what the Medical Examiner (ME) said Shin Jae replies, "The victim Lee Sang-do left home three weeks ago."

Everyone are raptly listening to the information remembering what Wook said about this case might be of interest for the future.

Taking notes Tae Eul questions, "Did you figure what weapon it was exactly?"

Considering it the ME says turning the computer screen towards the detectives, "Yes. One is the wound on the corpse and the other is that of the suspect, Kim Bok-man. The wounds are identical. There's one weapon. It must be a tool that is quite heavy."

Taking out his phone Shin Jae shows the pictures he took in the hardware store, "Could it be something like this?"

"It was the weapon from the store itself" Na-ri wondered out loud.

"A lever? I don't see why not. It's often used at the National Assembly too." The three of them smile at her joke. Comparing both the pictures the ME considers, "Could this be what made these wounds? I guess it could be."

"Let's find the weapon first." Tae Eul nods agreeing "Okay."

"The story is getting serious again" Eun Ah replied with a frown to Wook.

 

Sorry for the very late update!