Of Avocados and Strawberry

MISTAKENLY YOURS
  1. Of strawberries and avocados 


 

'Whoah! Its so sweet!' 


 

Savoring the sweetness of the freshly picked strawberry as I watched Dara place a piece of her favorite fruit in one after another giggling in delight, I shake my head in her childishness. 


 

Dara is my sister from another mother. Though we're taking different courses at the same university that didn't keep us from spending time with each other albeit limited but still always a blast. This is the last day of our trip in Jeju and we decided to visit one of our farm to have a first hand experience in fruit-picking. 



 

Strawberries and tangerines were Dara's favorites and luckily they can be found in the vast field though her friend suddenly suggested to visit the local market to buy other fruit she thought of in a split second dragging her all the way to the nearest fruit stall where Dara's eyes sparkled with rejoice as the latter's eyes settled on the fruit she knew she wasn't fond of. 




 

*

The trip to Jeju ended last night and before she knew it CL's furrowed eyebrows and her narrowed eyes shows her confusion as she look at the humming Dara on the kitchen counter. Her friend is so busy scraping the flesh of the avocado and placing them neatly at a pink container, putting them at the refrigerator right after she's done. 



 

A certain thought cross CL's mind as she looked at Dara intently but brush it off right away for she might be mistaken- who knows if her friend already takes a liking of the fruit she always considered having a disgusting appearance. Instead, she helped her friend place the strawberries in another container, the latter's favorite fruit- that, she is definitely sure. 


 

After making sure that all the fruits are set properly in their containers, they proceeded at the living room watching their favorite Netflix series. 



 

*

 

She was walking down the path towards the cafeteria comes lunchbreak, CL made her way to the cafeteria looking for her friends. Fortunately she spotted them immediately as they were talking loud enough that she could recognize their voices even from afar. 



 

Her attention was caught by a group of man sitting opposite their table. Just like them, the said group is talking, laughing and even hitting each other without a care with their surroundings though her attention focused solely on the only silent guy at the table sitting on the chair near the aisle. Her eyes moves down to the familiar container the said guy placed on top as he put the empty tray aside. 



 

Maybe sensing that someone might be glancing his way, the man looked up and their eyes met for a few seconds before CL broke the contact and shrugged her curiosity off and started chatting merrily with her friends. 



 

'Avocado?!' 



 

It is pretty impossible for someone to hear clearly at the already full cafeteria where most of the students are talking out loud but that one word resonates perfectly fine in CL's ears that she abruptly look at the table opposite theirs- her eyes widen in surprise as she watched the silent guy take a piece of the familiar fruit from the very familiar pink container that she choked on the cola she is currently drinking. 




 

'Yah Donghae, can I have a taste? 


 

'No.' 


 

'Just a piece. Why are you so cheap?' 


 

'No is No.'



 

And her thoughts came rushing back for confirmation as she observed how the guy swatted the hands off fighting to get a taste of the neatly placed avocado while the guy stubbornly keep it to himself. 



 

So that's Lee Donghae. And the avocado?, well- Now I know for whom