Starting point

Come to me

A few days later, you and your groups gathered again to discuss more for the project assignment. Your house was picked based on a not-so-random decision made by Johnny. To your surprise, Joshua came early. You were worried if things were going to be awkward, but unexpectedly he was always the first one to talk to you. While waiting for Ryujin and Johnny, both of you managed to look over your schedule to find out which time should work without disturbing each other's activities. You almost dropped your jaw when you realized he almost always matched all gaps between classes, which was because you were in the same class most of the time yet you had no idea.

"I didn't know that we're in the same class like almost for all subjects."

He slightly smiled at your obliviousness. "Because you always sit in the front row and don't even bother to look around."

"Really?" You nervously faked a chuckle. Not even your friends had called you out like that despite what he said was actually true.

"But anyway, it's easier for us, don't you think?"

"That's right." Another nervous chuckle slipped out of your mouth. This was the time you vigorously typed a message to Johnny and Ryujin to come quickly. However you can't even be on your phone for too long since this guy literally kept talking to you, which you found it odd. This guy should hate you if he remembered the first encounter. Suddenly you were reminded of Johnny once saying one of Joshua's nickname that made him even more famous than just a 'gentleman'. The holy Jisoos.
Neither you did believe nor care about that. Sometimes you had to beg Johnny to stop talking about him as if there was nothing else to talk about. Now that you think about it, probably being forgiving could be one of the trait of 'the holy Jisoos'. But still, it was not that you care.

"Hey, now that we're classmates for almost every class, is it okay if I ask you to study together sometimes? Especially for Professor Kwon's class. I mean, I heard that even getting B from his class is already considered good."

"I know right. I don't even know why I take that class." Wait, does this mean I agree to study together with him? Wait, what?

"How about this weekend? We can finish this one quickly and proceed to discuss for other subject."

"This weekend is no good," you quickly answered. Secretly you were relieved you had other stuff to do. "Got essay due Monday and another group project assignment too before finals."

"Oh, okay. No problem. Which class though?"

"Professor Kim Jooyong it is. I believe you don't go to this class, right?"

"Yeah, no. But I think I know someone there."

"Yeah?" You raises both of your eyebrows, slightly showing curiosity.

"You know Jeon Wonwoo?"

An excited gasp slipped off before you spoke. "You're kidding! He's my partner for the group project."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, he's a life saver," you answered enthusiastically for the first time ever. "I take this class unintentionally. This guy thankfully makes it more bearable."

Without words, Joshua smiled. It was a different smile from earlier before the topic of Jeon Wonwoo arose. Of course, you wouldn't notice. The way you talked about Jeon Wonwoo definitely made him feel something. It just made him wonder if someone asked you about him, would you look that cheerful and excitedly say something good about being his classmate?

 

"This doesn't look like we're able to finish any sooner. Should we continue tomorrow?" Ryujin stretched her arms and tilted her neck after hours of brainstorming. You buried your face between your books. Sitting next to you, Johnny leaned against your small figure. Only Joshua still looked fine.

"You're right. I still have my essay to do," Johnny complained to himself. "I don't think I will sleep tonight."

"I told you you should have started as soon as Professor Kim gave it," you scoffed, nudging Johnny's head with your shoulder.

Ryujin and Johnny quickly packed their stuff and left. Meanwhile Joshua was a bit slow for unclear reasons. Basically he came the earliest and left the latest, which you found it odd. Again. Yes, you got a bit closer within such a short time when waiting for Johnny and Ryujin. But you still felt uncomfortable being with only him. And you can't confront him and ask 'what take you so long?', can you?

"Tomorrow we finish the class at 4, right?" Again, he was the one to break the silence when he was about to depart. "Want to continue our discussion tomorrow?"

"Yeah, sure." This was a scenario which it would turn out weird if you say no. "Library?" you offered. Since it would be only the two of you, with your level of sanity, you wouldn't invite him to your house like today. You must go to public place no matter what happens.

"Sometimes it's crowded in the library. Do you know a small cafe near the campus gym?"

"There's a cafe?"

"Yeah, it's not very popular. But it's quiet. I usually study there."

"Okay, sure. We can be more focused then," you said, nodding your head although you had no idea where the place he suggested. The last thing you wouldn't even want to imagine was this gentleman turned out to be a psycho who would abduct you in an unknown, quiet place at campus.

"Anyway, can I sit next to you tomorrow in class?"

Again, a scenario that would turn out more awkward than it already was if you say no. "Well, yeah, sure.." This dude must know that many people avoided sitting in front row seat, so your side was empty most of the time.

"Okay, cool. I'll see you tomorrow?" He flashed you his best angelic smile.

That was the first time he smiled like that. Now you know why everyone always calls him a gentleman. That smile and the way he talks softly explained his nickname perfectly. That smile made you look away because suddenly you got too shy to look at him.

"Yeah. See you." Smiling a little, you waved him a good bye as he left.

 

--- ● the next day

Joshua was right. The small cafe near the campus gym was quiet, as if it was located outside the campus. You wondered what makes this cafe underrated. Was it new that no one knew? Was it that secluded? Was it too far? Well, Joshua and you had to spend at least 10 minutes of walk from your building to this place. Honestly that was the most awkward walk you've ever had. You kept your distance, but he kept going closer every time you took a step away. You were nervous most of the time. You were really worried if he would try to do something funny you wouldn't even want to imagine. You actually had Johnny's number ready to be dialed if there was a sudden emergency.

"This place is not so bad, right?" As always, he started conversation while you prepared your notebook and laptop.

Flashing your smile with your best effort, you nodded.

"Oh! It's Shua hyung!" An excited exclaim suddenly filled the quiet place. "And it's Park Yuri!"

"Seok-Soon, is that you?" You got excited too as two guys, a black haired one with a well-built tall body and the other one with dark blonde hair, paler skin and slimmer figure proceed to your seat. The three of you hugged and cheered loudly, happy to reunite again. "I miss you guys. What are you doing here, Soonyoung? Seokmin?"

"We should ask you the same." Seokmin broke your group hug.

Soonyoung darted his eyes to you, then to Joshua. "I didn't know you're close with Shua hyung," he said, flashing his hamster teeth.

"Shua?" you asked back in confusion. Soonyoung nodded, gesturing at Joshua with his head and his expressive eyes. That was a clear hint that the guys were close friends.

"I didn't know you guys know her." Joshua managed to stay calm, totally contrast with the rest of you.

"Yeah, we met during the orientation week," you explained happily without looking at him. Your attention was now fully on the other guys. Your linking arms with the Seok-Soon duo proved how close you were with them.

"And after that the class schedule always separates us," Soonyoung responded dramatically, faking a sniffle.

In Joshua's eyes, this was the brightest version of you and your smile. He noticed the drastic change of your expression when Soonyoung and Seokmin entered the cafe and called them. In his eyes, you were like a chameleon. Your expression, the way you talk, and even your behavior kept changing as if you were adapting to who you were with. Soonyoung and Seokmin were famous to be the mood maker, they barely can keep quiet or stay still. You kept giggling at whatever they said since they joined your table, kinda forgetting that you were supposed to get your work done with Joshua. It didn't look like he minded though. In fact, he could use this time to quietly observe the new side of you. He remembered even when with Johnny, you never looked this cheerful and hyped up.

Wait. No wonder you always became much more quiet when it was only him. Compared to Johnny, Soonyoung and Seokmin, he was indeed the calmest.

Soon, another guy came in. Soonyoung called his name and the new guy joined you immediately. With a big, mischievous smile, you stood up and bowed, singing his name, "Kim Mingyu sunbaenim."

"Oh, hi, Park hoobaenim." He raised a hand waving at you with his smug smiley face, trying to give more of the sunbae vibe, which always made you and the others almost lose it. "Long time no see," he spoke in English with his strong Korean accent.

Soonyoung and Seokmin still laughed at how you and Mingyu addressed each other, leaving Joshua puzzled by himself. Basically it was their inside jokes within the guys only, so it surprised him how you had any idea about it. It also confused him how you got to know his bestfriends.

"Mingyu repeated the history with Jeonghan hyung," Soonyoung started to explain although no one really asked him to. "He thought she was a freshman at the first day of school after spring break. So he was like, 'Oh, are you lost? Let me help. Oh, by the way, my name is Kim Mingyu. You can call me Mingyu sunbaenim.' when she was standing in front of Communication 101 class while waiting for her cousin."

"She really looked like she was lost though?" Mingyu defended himself when the others recalled that dark memory.

You blended very well with the boys that it felt strangely nice for Joshua. It was kind of odd to feel alienated when the guys were his best friends, yet they seemed closer with you. But again, he didn't really mind that. It was just for him, to click with someone new was never easy. Moreover, his instinct could tell easily that you were not comfortable with him. That was why he always tried to speak first. Seeing you obviously close with his best buddies made him want to know more about you. Now he needed to boost his confidence to be more open up. Starting from you as a groupmate.