SEVEN

Go against the rules

Baekhyun sat talking with Chanyeol for the entire length of his hour long break, his laugh sometimes taking up the air as he chuckled heartfully at the words the boy whose skin was somehow connected to his own

Baekhyun sat talking with Chanyeol for the entire length of his hour long break, his laugh sometimes taking up the air as he chuckled heartfully at the words the boy whose skin was somehow connected to his own. At first he expected himself to be shy around the latter but the more they talked they realised that they had a lot in common, they both enjoyed the arts and Chanyeol even admitted to his interest in old folklore. They had gotten so invested in talking that the group of men entering the establishment went unnoticed by the Prince who was supposed to be on guard the entire time he was outside the castle walls. 

"Baekhyun, do you mind jumping back on the register?" Kyle pleaded from behind the counter, his hands were currently filled with plastic and organic cups each filled with various colours of brown. Chanyeol sent the owner of the nice café a glance before turning his attention to his soulmate who looked slightly dejected after getting called by his boss so soon, he knew that he needed to say goodbye to the stranger eventually but he didn't expect it to be so soon. 

"I guess that I'll have to get going.." he muttered, standing up from his seat with a small smile on his lips. His eyes were practically screaming at Chanyeol begging him without words to do something so that wouldn't have to say goodbye so early. "Thank you so much for the company-" 

"When exactly do you get off work?" Chanyeol questioned, almost jumping out of the chair to prevent Baekhyun was going back to work completely. He made sure to get the words out in a clear manner even though he was desperate to spend more time with his mate. "I don't mind waiting for you, let me take you on a date that is if you would like one!" 

"I finish at four, do you think you can wait that long?" Baekhyun challenged, looking the boy in the eye with a broad smile on his lips. Chanyeol's jaw dropped and in hopes of keeping his dignity he simply nodded his head, he watched with a small smile as Baekhyun turned away and walked back to the counter. He had tossed the taller a slight wink before facing the new customer, Chanyeol thanked the earth that the booth cushion was behind him when he tumbled backwards. 

It took him a couple minutes to realise what he had just asked the smaller, his eyes blowing wide as his answer rang like an echo in his mind. His gaze fixated on the melody he had scribbled on the music paper when he first came into the café, a new sense of inspiration hitting as he lifted his pen and began drawing out music notes. 

After a couple moments Chanyeol got an idea, taking the pen in between his fingertips he shifted his sleeve and began writing a simple sentence on his skin. He offered Baekhyun a sneaky glance, the smaller looking back at him in confusion as he handed a stranger a receipt for their coffee. He watched as the waiter's eyes widened as his right hand reached for his left forearm, the tingling sensation tickling him. This time around he was able to look the sender in the eye as he felt the feeling creep up his arm, making his cheeks flush in a beautiful red hue. 

You know you look really cute in that apron, right?

"Hey Baek!" A new familiar voice broke the boy away from his staring contest with the boy who found time to flirt with him through their skin connection. "Hey, what's with those red cheeks, are you perhaps sick? Wait right here I'll tell Kyle that you're going home!" 

"Lay no!" Baekhyun hissed reaching across the counter and grabbing his professor by the arm before he could move another step. "It's not anything like that, I'm just blushing!" 

"Blushing?" 

"Yeah, haven't you ever experienced it?" 

"I have a couple times in my ancient life" the teacher admitted with nod of his head, Baekhyun rolling his eyes at the statement. "but who caused it?" 

"Well remember when you asked me if I believe in soulmates?" The teacher dipped his head again, a flash of curiosity shooting through his eyes. "Well I'm starting to believe it!" 

Lay's eyes brightened as his lips pulled up into a joyful grin. "Really? Oh Baekhyun that's wonderful, why the sudden change of mind?" 

"I met the guy that has been writing me messages!" Baekhyun shrieked pushing in Lay's usual coffee offer since he knew he needed to at least look like he was doing his job even though there was no other customers behind his friend. "He's here in this café!"

"Who is it?" Lay gasped, his eyes wide as he scanned the booths and tables. 

"He's sitting in that booth by the window, his table is filled with music sheets don't be so obvious about looking!" Baekhyun scolded, riping the receipt out of the machine and passing it to his hyung who simply took it with a coy grin. 

"Well I best go see him for myself huh?" Lay teased walking backwards towards the table, even though his body was still facing Baekhyun. His student's eyes went wide as he desperately attempted to keep him away from Chanyeol, fearing that his professor would scare off the poor guy. "Tell Kyle to bring over the coffee drinks alright?!" 

Baekhyun stared helplessly as his friend happily made his way in Chanyeol's direction, a small skip in his step as he approached the table. Lay wasn't going to intentionally terrify the boy but since his connection with Baekhyun was quite interesting his curiosity got the better of him. Naturally, he found himself slipping into the chair across from the boy who seemed to be too focused on the music sheets below them. 
 

A sense of familiarity shook the man to his bones, his body shaking in response to the sudden chilling feeling being trailed down his back

A sense of familiarity shook the man to his bones, his body shaking in response to the sudden chilling feeling being trailed down his back. A lump had formed in his throat as he finally got the attention of the boy sitting across from him, both of their eyes blowing wide in surprise of seeing the other. 

"C-Chanyeol?!" Lay gasped, his body falling against the back cushion of the booth. A sigh escaped his lips as he stared at the boy who had grown up so much in the hundred years that they had been separated. Chanyeol's hair was still the same as it was all those years ago from the section he could see from beneath the black cap he wore, his jaw had sharpened. He had definitely grown into his elf ears and his facial expression had grown up also. Lay quickly realised that he wasn't looking at the prince he had the pleasure of protecting, a lot of time had passed since then. Chanyeol was no longer a young boy, he was now a man. 

"Yixing!" The prince cried, standing up from his seat and rushing to sit next to elder vampire. Lay allowed him to slip into the booth right next to him, a bright grin plastered on his face as they hugged for the first time in a thousand years. 

"My Prince" Yixing chuckled into the boy's shoulder, holding him close. He felt the ball in his throat grow larger as he clutched the prince's hoodie, the material balling up in his fist. "it's been too long." 

"The last time I heard your name I was told that you were killed!" Chanyeol gushed, pulling out of the embrace and holding his former protector by his cheeks. Lay's eyes widened in surprise of both the rumour and how large the prince's hands had become. "For the past hundred years everyone believed that you were dead, my Appa included." 

At the mention of Suho Lay's tears finally fell, he grasped Chanyeol's hand and held it close looking in square in the eye as he took a deep breath. "How is your Appa?" 

"Terrible," Chanyeol admitted seeing no reason to lie to the man he trusted since birth. "he's weakened now that he thought you died. You two were mates Yixing when you disappeared it broke him, he got a simple cut and his healing ability was practically destroyed. The slightest nick to the heart will kill him now with no chance of surviving and you know how dangerous that is for anyone but a vampire especially! How have you been ever since?" 

"Honestly?" Lay sighed hanging his head between his shoulders as he considered the right words to use to the prince. "I'm the same, I miss your Appa and everyone in that castle more than anything. I often thought of contacting you, reaching out in some way but I always found an excuse not to."

"So you've stayed in Seoul this whole time?" Chanyeol questioned, a brow raised. His lips wrapped around the black straw of his second americano that day, his eyes twinkled as he leaned into Lay's direction desperate to hear more about the man who disappeared one night. 

"Well I did go to China for a couple years until the pull was too strong, I came back and used my experience to get a job as a professor in Baekhyun's school." 

"You know Baekhyun?!" 

"Quite well," Lay nodded, sneaking a glance at the busy boy who seemed stressed since he sent him a quick glance. They both knew that Kyle wouldn't allow him to have another break so soon, that somehow managed to calm Lay's heart down a little since he could talk freely with Chanyeol for a bit more. "what I don't understand is the fact that you two are linked with a communication connection through the rarest form. Body art hasn't been seen since for decades Chanyeol and that's not even the strangest thing, Baekhyun is a very human boy." 

"I know, but I don't understand it either. You were there that night when I had my first physical connection with him, I was young then Yixing but Baekhyun shouldn't have even been born by then!" Their voices had gradually gotten lower throughout their conversation, they could never be too careful. 

"I bet Kris isn't too happy about this" Lay joked, tossing his head back against the booth. "I recall the night that you asked what would happen if your mate did turn to be a human, he shot that thought down quite quickly for you didn't he?" 

"I remember that night well as well" Chanyeol continued, his gaze falling onto the music sheets laid out on the other side of the table. "you made me feel better, besides my father doesn't know anything about this." 

"How were you able to get out of the castle though?" 

"He threatened me with an arranged marriage, I just have to find my mate before that and today I have." 

"Chanyeol you know how much I care for you, but Baekhyun is like a child to me-" The prince bit his lower lip, he knew that he had a lot to tell his former protector but their minds was only able to take so much in a small amount of time. He was just getting over the fact that the man he thought of being dead for over a hundred years was still very much alive, it had Chanyeol's mind drawing up his own questions. "I can't get him involved in our world so easily." 

"Lay he already has a vampire in his life, how is one more going to hurt?" Chanyeol turned and watched as the man his lower lips, it was his thing to do whenever he was nervous. "But, you haven't even told him what you are, have you?" 

"Did you expect me to?" 

"Kind of?" 

"You're still a child," Lay laughed, shaking his head. "a hundred and eighteen?" 

"Yep, the legal age for a vampire prince to take the throne from his father." The boy sighed, his gaze coursing throughout the café. He attempted to make it look natural as his eyes drifted to Baekhyun, the waiter smiling happily at his customer who he had just handed their receipt.

"Lay!" A new comer interrupted their faded conversation, he was wearing an apron like Baekhyun. Chanyeol recognized him as the owner of the café who had called Baekhyun back from his break not that long ago, he was holding a coffee cup in his hand as he slipped into the spot Chanyeol had been previously sitting at in the booth. He tossed a quick glance in Chanyeol's direction, his eyes blowing wide like he had just seen a ghost. "Your Majesty." he dipped his head in respect. 

"Kyle, what's wrong?" 

"It appears that you two aren't the only vampires in my café at the moment," Kyle explained, allowing one of his shoulders to fall. Chanyeol watched as Lay took the clue and shifted his eyes around the café avoiding the possibility of causing a commotion. "I'm sure that you have picked up a large tail my prince." 

"Lay we need to get out of here, with Baekhyun." 

"Relax," Lay whispered, taking his coffee from Kyle's hands before sipping at the iced drink. Chanyeol allowed the man to think in silence, his gaze focusing on the music sheets since he figured that Baekhyun would remain safe if he didn't show any interest. The possibility of the vampires being rebels was large and if they had listened in on their conversation Chanyeol expected them to be calling for backup soon. "Kyle have Baekhyun go into the back room. Chanyeol and I are going through the front door, if anyone attempts to follow Baekhyun that way I'm sure you can cut them off in the changing room." 

"Wait you're a vampire?" 

"It's a pleasure to meet the Prince of Darkness, I've never expected to see you standing in front of me since I came from the States and you don't journey there often." Kyle explained with a smile, he stood up from the booth and began making his way towards the counter where Baekhyun was sitting patiently waiting for the next customer to come through the glass doors. 

Lay gave the prince a hand in clearing up the music sheets scattered around the table, they remained calm as Chanyeol pulled the bag back over his shoulder. He hoped that he wouldn't get blood on his bag, it was the only one he had (even though his family was rich and he could buy another) since it was given to him by his Nana. Staring at the bag, Chanyeol figured that he best tell Lay of the news he had received in the mail from Sehun, without getting into detail. 

"I need to tell you something that can't wait" The prince admitted as they made their way out of the café, they had waited for Baekhyun to leave his post before setting off. "Nana was killed by rebels." 

"Nana?" Lay gasped looking over at the tall grown vampire beside him, he somehow managed to lead the way into an alleyway near the café even though he was dazed with the information. "Are you okay?" 

"I wasn't when I received the news to be honest, Chanyeol sighed, tossing his backpack over by the dumpster. He ped his hoodie and allowed that to rest against the bag, he sent the ally entryway a glance before turning back to Lay. "Kris forbid me from going to visit her. He even sent Suho out to work even though he had been given the news himself." 

The prince could see the man's jaw sharpen, it was at this moment that Chanyeol realised that Lay wouldn't have willingly left their family like he had wondered after seeing him alive before him. Lay looked hurt at the sound of what Kris had did and it reflected the way he looked all those years ago, time had gone on but Lay remained the same. Sure he was older and had shrunken in Chanyeol's eyes the Prince concluded that nothing had really changed between them. 

"We'll talk more about this later." The vampire breathed, his eyes hardening at the sight of the group of vampires entering the alleyway with smirks plastered over their lips. 

It wasn't until they noticed the exact same expression on Chanyeol's lips that their stance wavered. As far as anyone had heard the Prince had never been taught how to fight, but those rumours were exactly what Chanyeol wanted them to think. The truth was that Lay had taken it upon himself to show the young prince a couple moves all those years ago, Chanyeol had advanced from those simple steps and now was the time to prove to his previous teacher that those lessons were just the stepping stones for the weapon he had turned himself into in secret. 

"It's about time that I get my hands dirty," Chanyeol chuckled, stretching out his neck as his eyes zoned in on the leader of the group. A dark grin crept up onto his lips as he cracked his knuckles. "I have to release all this pent up anger and frustration somehow right? I'm glad you guys offered yourselves up!" 

Lay stood frozen as the prince he still viewed as a child raced forward and began attacking the small band of rebels, his eyes were wide as his jaw dropped. "I think I can sit this one out, right Chanyeol?" 

"Please do!" the prince shouted back with a laugh, his body a simple glare in the corner of Lay's eye. He never expected that the prince wouldn't need protecting, looking back at those times were he tucked him into bed Lay couldn't help but laugh. 

Yeah, things had definitely changed.